G2 replacement advice

Dustbag1969

Hi,

Currently have a G2 version 2 which i have had 2 years and am very happy with it.

I am running Win11 so with the recent announcement I am looking at my options. I don't want to revert to Win10 so I am considering replacing it with something else.

Cannot afford to spend more than £800 but don't want to have something worse than what I currently have.

What upgrade options would you recommend if any or should I wait and see if anything happens with the G2?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Dustbag1969 said:

I am running Win11 so with the recent announcement I am looking at my options.

What announcement?

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Apparently Microsoft will remove WMR from update coming to Windows 11 later this year which will render ghe HP G2 useless 😞

The Quest 3 seems the obvious choice but I am concerned about the lack of a dedicated display port connection on the headset and what sort of frames can I expect at good detail levels. 

My system is

7800X3D

RTX4080

32gb DDR5

U have time still. We don't even know yet if vendors will have an alternative or if WMR will still work if installed separately etc...  I would not rush unless you were just looking for an excuse to upgrade 😉

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Yeah, but at least it uses dedicated Varjo software, so it's not going to be bricked by the update. Pimax Crystal looks awesome, but it actually costs more than getting a glider pilot's license. Of course, when you add in the base stations, the Varjo is pretty damn close, too.

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

What are the options if I one doesn't want to touch anything by Meta ever again? Only high end headsets like Varjo Aero or Pimax Crystal?

You could try a Pico 4. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

How does the q3 compare for ease of reading the cockpit instruments and what typical fps do you achieve compared to G2
The FPS and overall experience of smoothness is a bit better and this is due to how well the Meta Asynchronous Spacewarp works, better than the OXR implementation i was using with My reverb G2. I have it set to 72hz with ASW on and the experience is great.

Now on the clarity side, the summary of it would be "its a tiny little less clear (resolution wise) than the reverb G2 on the very center but it's like that across the whole lense". And boy... I love it, I do feel like in the whole picture the experience is much better. I do spot target on my peripheral view i couldn't before, i can read instruments and MFD on the sides without moving the head, just the eyes... I could not do that before with the G2, at least for me outside the sweetspot all was a blurry mess. I also do like the colours a bit more. And the passtrough is amazing.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

You could try a Pico 4. 

That looks just like a G2, except a little worse, and its drivers are said to be a pain (but hey, at least it's not WMR). I've actually looked at it, but does it actually offer anything notable over the G2? I'd like my next headset to be an actual upgrade, I can hold out on Windows 10 otherwise.

It is relatively simple to instruct Windows 11 to remain on a given feature update e.g 23H2 and still get essential security updates. You don’t need to revert to Windows 10 to retain WMR capability.

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

You're limited base on your price range.  If you swear off any Meta products, which Q3 is likely the best of what you'll get under $1k, then it's Pico 4 or wait.  That's it. /thread

If you can wait to muster $1k then find a used Aero, or Pimax Crystal (for a few hundred more), or bite the bullet and get the Big screen Beyond headset. The BB headset will use your current base stations but you will be the only user because it's custom tailored to your face.

I hate Meta as much as the next guy. In fact, I have ZERO social media accounts.  But I have the Q3 because my family enjoys their games, and it works extremely well on DCS.  MFD text clarity is as I would want it, performance isn't as taxing as the Crystal. And to he honest, at this point I don't feel like I'm missing anything I need by not spending the extra $500. $500 can go a very long way in upgrading a CPU/GPU which has much more impact than the headset itself.

Just my $0.02.....

• Like 1

I have pico 4 and an 8kx. Had a reverb g2 before that. 
I love the pico 4. It does everything I want and does it well. Works great in VD.

The lenses are great. Resolution is Really nice. It’s clear from edge to edge almost. I can read all gauges an displays easily without having to move my head much. For me it was a clear upgrade from the g2. I have recently be comparing the 8kx to pico 4 and surprisingly the pico 4 is my preferred option. The Pimax is nice and I wanted to love it, but it has too many little flaws, however that fov wins it many more points, but the tracking and setup up every time is a real pain in the ass, and sometimes it just doesn’t even pick up the base stations. It can take anywhere from 10 mins to 30 mins to just giving up to get the Pimax to play. On top of that there is a little bluriness with the Pimax due to the fresnel lenses that is non-existent in the pico.

For the price of the pico it’s an amazing little headset. It’s comfortable, fantastic image quality, works every time, good tracking that’s never once failed on me and decent audio too. 

Edit - playing again today with the 8kx after resetting all the tracking files and firing it up again, I remembered whats great about this headset in dcs! On large Fov and all adjusted properly on my head with full resolution, it’s just amazing and I don’t think anything can beat this. 

Edited by TED
  • Thanks 1

Only Quest 3 in this budget. The connection should be sufficient for the resolution it's running.  Alternatively Pico 4 has almost identical specs, but no mixed reality, if you care about this.

Only other viable options are a tier higher in price. And this would be Pimax Crystal ($1600) or Bigscreen Beyond ($1000, but needs lighthouse tracking and has no controllers).

On 2/13/2024 at 1:42 PM, Baldrick33 said:

It is relatively simple to instruct Windows 11 to remain on a given feature update e.g 23H2 and still get essential security updates. You don’t need to revert to Windows 10 to retain WMR capability.

This is a simple program that's supposed to prevent feature updates while still allowing security updates.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

12 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

This is a simple program that's supposed to prevent feature updates while still allowing security updates.

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

I have just updated to 23H2 this week and then turned this Incontrol "on". I hope it works. It will be a AUD3,000 issue if my G2 gets bricked.

PC Hardware: i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4400MHz, NVME.2 Drives, Alienware 38" 3840x1600 144MHz Monitor, TrackIR Pro Clip, Pimax Crystal

Flight Controls: Winwing Orion 1 FA-18 Stick and Throttle HOTAS / Logitech Rudder Pedals

DCS Modules: Too many to list after the 15 year sale

I just use Group Policy to set a target feature update version, some instructions here:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/set_windows_10_version_to_stay_on_or_upgrade_to.html

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat