Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

there is no way to rollback a oculus update as far as i know. Had talked about this a year ago after an update also crashed dcs. Iam done with meta, oculus

i9-9900K / Bios Profile XMP1 / Rog Strix Z-390F Gaming / Zotac Geforce RTX-3070ti Trinity OC / 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 / Saitek X52 HOTAS / Pico 4

11 minutes ago, slughead said:

And the simple fix (practically one line I think) to stop DCS falling over when an Oculus headset is taken off.

I guess that can be fixed in the power saving settings of the headset.

Also if that's an easy line show it in a feature request.

1 minute ago, jaghammer said:

I guess that can be fixed in the power saving settings of the headset.

Also if that's an easy line show it in a feature request.

No, it can’t be fixed like that.

mbucchia has already showed how it can be fixed… in code. It’s how a particular OpenXR message from Oculus needs to be handled.

• Like 1

yeah,  the image is great but they are constant trouble...ive had a progressive degrading of performance over the last few months:

first the cable link stopped working, then the air link became problematic....

is there any other way of using the headdset with DCS? ive heard vd mentioned?

3 hours ago, les said:

I should have also said the ticket reply suggested I go off beta updates for the oculus but im not using the PTC so cant really 

do anything here!

Going off PTC wouldn't have helped you with this one at this point (it did up until today) since the DCS unfriendly version is now their release version.

7 hours ago, diamond26 said:

The guidance was only to block Oculus PC app to go to V63. 
For the headset, apart from what you suggest (which I haven't tried) the only option is to keep wifi off 😞
 In addition the headest updates if you have SW updates off are enforced after some time. For example v62 in my case has a mandatory enforcement by 28/3. So I guess you are safe in headset with SW updates set to OFF even with wifi on for some period of time which will be mentioned by META.

Ok, so how do I see the software version? Meta seems to have and advanced degree in confusion. The Meta Quest Link software is what we're talking about or from inside the headset with quicksettings =>settings? I still show version 62 here and the Q3 is looking for updates.

I've done both, the software hack and headset update with Amaze. The only place I see versions are in the headsets settings.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 132816.jpg

1 minute ago, Maddaawg said:

Ok, so how do I see the software version? Meta seems to have and advanced degree in confusion. The Meta Quest Link software is what we're talking about or from inside the headset with quicksettings =>settings? I still show version 62 here and the Q3 is looking for updates.

I've done both, the software hack and headset update with Amaze. The only place I see versions are in the headsets settings.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 132816.jpg

Settings > General > scroll to bottom

4 minutes ago, slughead said:

There are some instructions further back to show you how to block any updates to the Oculus Link app.

I did those too, converted staging to bak.staging and a new file tmp and staging.

DCS has been running perfect for a while now in non vr and vr on quest 3. But today quest 3 had an update and it wont launch it gets to the first splash screen then just closes altogether back to windows.

If i delete the save game folder  DCS will launch in 2d and work perfectly, but as soon as i enable VR in the settings and go ok the game closes to reload but then  wont launch i can replicate this every time. So it seems metas update is an issue. I don't have PTC checked so currently cant use DCS as i fly only in VR. 

I'm using the exact command arguments to switch to Oculus native API but still getting the crash with v63, wish I'd seen this sooner - looks like it auto-updated yesterday 😞

I also have OpenXRToolkit and QuadViews .. I wouldn't expect those to work of course but I wonder if it's something in those which is still preventing the game launching. 

Anyone with OXRTK/QuadView had any success with this work around? 

8 minutes ago, mrprime said:

I'm using the exact command arguments to switch to Oculus native API but still getting the crash with v63, wish I'd seen this sooner - looks like it auto-updated yesterday 😞

I also have OpenXRToolkit and QuadViews .. I wouldn't expect those to work of course but I wonder if it's something in those which is still preventing the game launching. 

Anyone with OXRTK/QuadView had any success with this work around? 

Nothing to do with those tools. Meta made a change, ED has to make a change to be compatible.

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will mention it to the team again, but we have no plans for a hot fix currently sorry.

Hello,

I must confess I'm very supprised by this answer.

Meta has pushed its v63 update into production now, and anyone like me who hasn't been paying attention to this sneaky update can no longer fly on DCS.

This problem has already been reported during its beta phase, how can the ED team not take this problem very seriously. The people who are going to break down are going to increase your numbers massively, and what's more, the Quest is probably the most widely used VR headset in the majority of VR simmers.

So a tell back leaves me very dubious. It's more than a priority when an update renders the game completely inoperable.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, slughead said:

That creates a file without an extension. I'm surprised in this age you didn't know that. That's not a reflection on you, but a reflection on me expecting everyone to know it.

I knew how to create specific files, and how to change extensions, but didn't know that Windows wouldn't kick back an error on a file that didn't have an extension. Nor is there a selection in the dropdown for generic "file" as written in the instructions given, ergo "create text file, then simply delete the extension" was not a logical exposition given the lack of information available to the reader. Expecting high-context knowledge in low-context situations happens. 

Edited by Nealius

3 hours ago, rob10 said:

Going off PTC wouldn't have helped you with this one at this point (it did up until today) since the DCS unfriendly version is now their release version.

I was unaware of this issue until today.  I checked and I have PTC disabled, so an auto-update of my Rift S today has screwed me with no resolution in sight?  Sorry, I am potentially not as Ones and Zeros fluent as most.

At present DCS is launching in VR for my Quest 3. My Link software is showing V63.0.0.216.361 but is working. Perhaps it's actually V62 but my use of system restore may not have changed the version number data. My Quest 3 is V62. I followed the instructions on  blocking  the update. I renamed the Staging folder to bak.Staging in the C/programs/Oculus folder, created the Staging and tmp  non extension txt files and  put them in  the same Oculus folder. I didn't see the tmp folder. Is it in a different location? As answered in an earlier question in this thread I'm not supposed to create one, only rename it if it's there? Thanks in  advance.

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

4 hours ago, majorandme said:

I was unaware of this issue until today.  I checked and I have PTC disabled, so an auto-update of my Rift S today has screwed me with no resolution in sight?  Sorry, I am potentially not as Ones and Zeros fluent as most.

Can you use Virtual Desktop with a Rift S? I've heard that is working since it is bypassing the Oculus Link app.

5 hours ago, majorandme said:

I believe this just affects oculus link and DCS. Rift s has a display port so does not need to use oculus link. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Just now, Qcumber said:

I believe this just affects oculus link and DCS. Rift s has a display port so does not need to use oculus link. 

This affect oculus pc app being OpenXR runtime to use the headset. It does not matter how it is connected to any headset afterwards. 

So riftS is also effected.

45 minutes ago, Maddaawg said:

Can you use Virtual Desktop with a Rift S? I've heard that is working since it is bypassing the Oculus Link app.

No. The rift s cannot be used with VD. It requires WiFi and a headset with a snapdragon processor. 

2 minutes ago, Rapierarch said:

This affect oculus pc app being OpenXR runtime to use the headset. It does not matter how it is connected to any headset afterwards. 

So riftS is also effected.

OK. Thanks. I am away at the moment so will check to see if it affects my rift s when I get back. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

12 hours ago, LOW_Hitman said:

there is no way to rollback a oculus update as far as i know. Had talked about this a year ago after an update also crashed dcs. Iam done with meta, oculus

No any official way for this by Meta. I saw the webpage with old Oculus software (not official) but I cant find it now.

6 hours ago, Maveric033 said:

Hello,

I must confess I'm very supprised by this answer.

Meta has pushed its v63 update into production now, and anyone like me who hasn't been paying attention to this sneaky update can no longer fly on DCS.

This problem has already been reported during its beta phase, how can the ED team not take this problem very seriously. The people who are going to break down are going to increase your numbers massively, and what's more, the Quest is probably the most widely used VR headset in the majority of VR simmers.

So a tell back leaves me very dubious. It's more than a priority when an update renders the game completely inoperable.

It must appear after the weekend, a lot of people have no idea what they have, whether they have v62 or other, there are many people who do not visit any forum. They're about to start crying. 

• Like 4

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

25 minutes ago, YoYo said:

..............a lot of people have no idea what they have, whether they have v62 or other, there are many people who do not visit any forum. They're about to start crying. 

This. This will be big if ED does not push a hotfix soon. I was lucky to take action before the update. 

• Like 5

This. This will be big if ED does not push a hotfix soon. I was lucky to take action before the update. 

I agree. People have done full restores and windows wipes and reinstalls before they find out about this. The answer is annoying indeed!
  • Like 6