Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

14 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I am using v63 in the desktop v62 in the desktop app. I thought my desktop app had updated so I guess I will keep this as is.

The link I am using is "D:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_oculus_VR

Sorry, but I don´t understand which version are you using in the desktop app, meaning the one that I posted a screenshot above, could you post a screenshot of yours? I think you are confusing the version you have in your headset (mine is v63 as well) with the version of your Oculus Link app on your PC which is most probably v62 ( like in the screenshot I´m posting below). The problem we are discussing at the moment is related to the  PC App that in v63 is not working with DCS, the version of the version of the headset has no incompatibility with DCS. So if you could double-check this it would be great. To double-check this please go to Settings in your Oculus App then open the General tab and scroll down as you can see in the second screenshot. Thank you!

image.png

image.png

Edited by mimamema

25 minutes ago, mimamema said:

The problem we are discussing at the moment is related to the  PC App that in v63 is not working with DCS

Yes. I realise that. I had thought my PC app had auto-updated after installing but it had not. This is the version I am using. 

Edit: just reread my earlier post and it did not make sense. Sorry. I'll edit and update it.

null

image.png

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

24 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Yes. I realise that. I had thought my PC app had auto-updated after installing but it had not. This is the version I am using. 

Edit: just reread my earlier post and it did not make sense. Sorry. I'll edit and update it.

null

image.png

Thank you for confirming this. It´s fine, don´t worry I could guess more or less what was happening. I would suggest not to update the app to v63 till we manage to clarify if the "force_oculus_VR" workaround works, but as far as I saw in other of your posts you use VD, so you should be fine with it.

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

correct and thanks for confirming, 

you have to be in MT DCS and not in openXR mode for native oculus to work. 

@BIGNEWY I´m sorry, this means that it´s not confirmed that works and the only experience we have for the moment is that is not working. I know you are not an Oculus user so I will try to make a small post later explaining what is exactly the issue here and what the people need to try and look for to see if the proposed solution works. 

I am still in V62 myself (can't find a way to stop the auto-update but I am safe for now), but you can use the --force_oculus_VR switch with the v62 as well.

There are a couple of ways to check the runtime in use (OculusVR or OpenXR), for example if you use openxr toolkit just check if the menu opens, or tools like XRnecksafer should not work with OculusVR runtime.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

6 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

(can't find a way to stop the auto-update but I am safe for now)

what about this suggestion :

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

34 minutes ago, mimamema said:

Thank you for confirming this. It´s fine, don´t worry I could guess more or less what was happening. I would suggest not to update the app to v63 till we manage to clarify if the "force_oculus_VR" workaround works, but as far as I saw in other of your posts you use VD, so you should be fine with it

I had a rollercoaster yesterday of various issues which resulted in reinstallation of oculus and a headset factory reset. After a lot of setting up I can now get oculus-link to work with DCS MT open xr with V63 headset, v62 PC app, but I think others have already reported this. I have no plans to update the PC app to v62. 

I was running into the same issue. I have v63 on my Quest Pro and couldn't get link to start. I switched over to IL2 and found OpenComposite was crashing. To fix that I took the Oculus App on the desktop out of PTC in the Beta tab of settings. That fixed the link issue for DCS as well. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

On 2/27/2024 at 8:29 AM, Qcumber said:

I've given up on oculus app for now. I'm using VD instead. It works fine.

I've got oculus link working again. V63 on the headset. V62 on the PC app and this is working ok. 

@BIGNEWY as predicted. Meta has pushed back on this despite it clearly being a change that they have made and have redirected me to Eagle Dynamics and Khronos.org! Has the team made any progress on this as I expect Meta will push this out for general release in a couple of weeks.

image.jpeg

• ED Team
18 minutes ago, slughead said:

as predicted. Meta has pushed back on this despite it clearly being a change that they have made and have redirected me to Eagle Dynamics and Khronos.org! Has the team made any progress on this as I expect Meta will push this out for general release in a couple of weeks.

I am not surprised, as mentioned the team know what has been changed and a fix for using v63 will be in our next patch. We did not change anything and v62 works well with DCS and OpenXR. 

Ive asked the team to check the native oculus command again 

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, jurinko said:

If I force oculus and still can open the openxr toolkit menu in game, am I running in openxr or in native oculus api?

That means you are not running Oculus VR, you are still using OpenXR

• Like 1

--force_oculus_VR did work for me when I tried it.

Confirmed by openxr menu not displaying. I also have a foveated rendering and super sample applied in this tool which also did not load. I haven't kept using it as still on v62 but thought I would check it to make sure I could do it.

• ED Team
11 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Confirmed by openxr menu not displaying. I also have a foveated rendering and super sample applied in this tool which also did not load. I haven't kept using it as still on v62 but thought I would check it to make sure I could do it.

thank you for letting us know. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 3/1/2024 at 9:19 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I am not surprised, as mentioned the team know what has been changed and a fix for using v63 will be in our next patch. We did not change anything and v62 works well with DCS and OpenXR. 

Ive asked the team to check the native oculus command again 

If Meta pushed this Update v.63 as official it could ba a problem for many very soon, maybe this week even. Pls release the hotfix sooner than the Global patch. Now Im on v.62 and no issue, but If v.63 becomes the official version, I will receive these updates within a few days perhaps. 😞

Edit. https://www.meta.com/pl-pl/help/quest/articles/whats-new/release-notes/ < looks like false alarm, still v.62 is a current version so maybe we have more time.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just block the update as discribed here:

You'll get a notification that there's an update when you launch the Oculus App but it will be queued until you remove the block.
This way i know that there is an update but i'll only give it a green light when i read that there are no big issues.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

5 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

We are trying to workout if forcing oculus VR is working with v63, it was not for me, and nobody else has been able to confirm it working.  In v62 is working already as you have confirmed now. But the issue is with v63 oculus pc app, that is the combination you need to confirm ( oculus VR and v63 oculus pc app), if not is going to be confusing for the developers to understand if it works or not. Thank you.

Edited by mimamema

3 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Just block the update as discribed here:

You'll get a notification that there's an update when you launch the Oculus App but it will be queued until you remove the block.
This way i know that there is an update but i'll only give it a green light when i read that there are no big issues.

Just checking, you say create a new file called staging with no extension, but then rename folder? Do you create a folder called staging? same for tmp

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

Do you create a folder called staging? same for tmp

I only created a bak.staging (actually renamed an existing folder) and a bak.tmp folders and it worked as suggested by @Lange_666

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

Just checking, you say create a new file called staging with no extension, but then rename folder? Do you create a folder called staging? same for tmp

Rename the folders first. Then create two files called Staging and tmp. This will prevent Oculus from using the Staging and tmp folders thus blocks any updates.

6 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Made a mistake in the work order. Just corrected the work order in my original post... -)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

FWIW I have the same issue, but I can't downgrade Oculus because the earlier versions have another issue (controllers claim they are overheating when they are not)…

However, as a workaround, DCS works for me when I switch OpenXR to use Steam VR.