Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

So there is no way to play DCS on Oculus, that's sad

Other games work well 

:sly: Intel i9 9900K | RTX 2080ti | 64gb DDR4 | m2 SSD 512 gb + 512 gb + SSD 512 gb + HDD 2 tb | Saitek X-52 :joystick: | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO | Rift S :pilotfly:

On 2/21/2024 at 1:09 AM, slughead said:

It's not the device you need to roll back but the Oculus PC app.

You can also run DCS with SteamVR using the latest SteamVR beta or you can use Virtual Desktop.

thanks, will try

:sly: Intel i9 9900K | RTX 2080ti | 64gb DDR4 | m2 SSD 512 gb + 512 gb + SSD 512 gb + HDD 2 tb | Saitek X-52 :joystick: | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO | Rift S :pilotfly:

OK. I accidentally updated to v63 and it has worked until yesterday when it has started crashing. Can anyone tell me how to roll back to v62?

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

27 minutes ago, slughead said:

You need to opt out of the PTC in the Oculus PC app. Just that, shouldn't need to roll back the headset. I say this as I never received a v63 headset update anyway.

I just reinstalled oculus app and then turned of auto updates. That seemed to do the trick. No changes needed to my headset. 

I am still having a lot of issues with oculus cable link. Sometimes it connects and runs ok. Sometimes it does recognize the headset is connected. Sometimes it crashes after it has run for a while. I'm using v62. No issues with VD.

• slughead changed the title to Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link
2 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I am still having a lot of issues with oculus cable link. Sometimes it connects and runs ok. Sometimes it does recognize the headset is connected. Sometimes it crashes after it has run for a while. I'm using v62. No issues with VD.

That’s some other problem. This one is specific to v63 PTC and DCS crashing on entry to VR space.

Probably better if you create a new thread or raise it on the meta support forum.

2 minutes ago, slughead said:

That’s some other problem. This one is specific to v63 PTC and DCS crashing on entry to VR space.

Probably better if you create a new thread or raise it on the meta support forum.

It's after i did the rollback from v63 to v62. I might try a factory reset on the headset and then another reinstall of oculus to make sure desktop app and headset are both running the same versions. 

Just now, Qcumber said:

It's after i did the rollback from v63 to v62. I might try a factory reset on the headset and then another reinstall of oculus to make sure desktop app and headset are both running the same versions. 

Sure but it isn't related to DCS crashing with v^3 PTC. This is an issue with the Oculus app and your headset. So to avoid this thread going off-track, please raise a new thread. Ta.

• Like 1

Just now, slughead said:

Sure but it isn't related to DCS crashing with v^3 PTC. This is an issue with the Oculus app and your headset. So to avoid this thread going off-track, please raise a new thread. Ta.

Sorry. Will do. 

Will turning off automatic updates be enough to prevent these crashes from happening if/when the v63 goes mainstream? I don't think there is a way to block the app from updating. 

Edited by Hoirtel

On 2/27/2024 at 7:54 AM, Hoirtel said:

I don't think there is a way to block the app from updating.

There is:

Simply browse to C:\Program Files\Oculus (or where you installed your application)
Rename folder \Staging to bak.Staging
Rename folder \tmp to bak.tmp
Create a new file called Staging (with no extension)
Create a new file called tmp (also, no extension)

This blocks the update. When there is an update, you still get a notification that there is an update and that it is in progress but if you check it's queued and the update will be blocked.
Just reverse the steps and restart the app to let the update go through.

Edited by Lange_666
changed the work order
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I dont use any kidn of beta or public test channel for Oculus software. Its not the first time, where they broke something. Im still on the 62v and no any issue, I hope they will not release this problematic v63 as a public version (after fix ok).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

There is:

Simply browse to C:\Program Files\Oculus (or where you installed your application)
Create a new file called Staging (with no extension)
Create a new file called tmp (also, no extension)
rename folder \Staging to bak.Staging
rename folder \tmp to bak.tmp

This blocks the update. When there is an update, you still get a notification that there is an update and that it is in progress but if you check it's queued and the update will be blocked.
Just reverse the steps and restart the app to let the update go through.

Thanks, didnt know this!

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

I dont use any kidn of beta or public test channel for Oculus software. Its not the first time, where they broke something. Im still on the 62v and no any issue, I hope they will not release this problematic v63 as a public version (after fix ok).

Neither do I, but I am glad that someone has so this may be fixed. But I will prepare to block it. 

• ED Team

Dear all, 

By default DCS uses OpenXR which is supported by Oculus.

For Multithreading DCS we also have a native Oculus API available which can be enabled by adding --force_oculus_VR

(Please ensure OpenXR is disabled, and you are using MT DCS.)

Due to the priority order OpenXR driver is selected first (prior to v62 oculus update) this was working well,

with Oculus v63 they broke OpenXR for DCS.

As a work around users can use native oculus with --force_oculus_VR

Target line example in properties 

"D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR

We do have a fix for the v63 driver coming in a future patch that will allow openXR to work correctly again for Oculus using the newer driver. 

----------------------------------------

Please also note there is a steamVR oculus plugin work around found by @jaghammer here

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344539-native-oculus-api-and-dcs/page/2/#comment-5395501

------------------------------------------
Virtual Desktop XR is also another work around being used by some users. 

Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

19 minutes ago, Flyingfish said:

Where do I need to add force_oculus_VR? I'm using DCS with steam

I don't use Steam myself for DCS, but as an example: if you right-click you can add launch options:
null

image.png

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

16 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I don't use Steam myself for DCS, but as an example: if you right-click you can add launch options:
null

image.png

You should still be able to use a launch app, or make your own shortcuts for even the Steam Version.

Navigate to your Steam Library folder <drive><root>\SteamApps\Common\DCS World\bin-mt\
Make a shortcut for DCS.exe
Add the arguments.
 "x:<root>\steamapps\common\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR ----force_oculus_VR

or simply add "--force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR" to the launch arguments in steam.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Thanks 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Dickie said:

Do i add this to the MT shortcut?

this will only work with MT so yes. 

thanks 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2