Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

So I’ve ran into the problem that the Oculus app has with DCS. If it’s installed on my PC, then DCS refuses to launch. I uninstall Oculus then DCS starts fine in non vr mode. I guess something to do with Oculus app version V62 vs V63. Question is, are they currently working on a fix and could it come out in an update soon? 

I have a friend who wants to copy my exact same setup after seeing it in action, with the exact same DCS modules, specifically because of VR performance. After this recent bug, I really don't know what to tell him. How can I recommend anyone to spend money on a high end PC, HOTAS, DCS modules and a VR headset knowing his setup can become completely useless in the blink of an eye?

9 minutes ago, yoadknux said:

I have a friend who wants to copy my exact same setup after seeing it in action, with the exact same DCS modules, specifically because of VR performance. After this recent bug, I really don't know what to tell him. How can I recommend anyone to spend money on a high end PC, HOTAS, DCS modules and a VR headset knowing his setup can become completely useless in the blink of an eye?

It is just temporary - it may be different if the components were bricked, but it will be fixed soon. I've dealt with huge bugs in the various DCS builds in the past, just to have to wait for the next patch. It's the nature of PC gaming.

Really there's no better option than DCS for a great, authentic mil-sim. Imagine how complicated these things are - the merging of niche hardware and software in order to be able to do these things that we'll never be able to do in real life. It comes with the territory and is d@mn well worth it in my eyes.

I'm a real-life (GA) pilot and still spend hours in DCS because of how amazing it is to me.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 minute ago, unlikely_spider said:

It is just temporary - it may be different if the components were bricked, but it will be fixed soon. I've dealt with huge bugs in the various DCS builds in the past, just to have to wait for the next patch. It's the nature of PC gaming.

Really there's no better option than DCS for a great, authentic mil-sim. Imagine how complicated these things are - the merging of niche hardware and software in order to be able to do these things that we'll never be able to do in real life. It comes with the territory and is d@mn well worth it in my eyes.

I'm a real-life (GA) pilot and still spend hours in DCS because of how amazing it is to me.

I understand that its temporary, and like I said, personally I was lucky enough to come up with a roll-back method while it was still possible, so I'm unaffected

But how in the world would I recommend ANYONE to spend thousands of dollars on equipment that just becomes incompatiable for nearly a month with no date for a fix?

This is NOT the "nature of PC gaming". In PC gaming there are things like driver incompatibility, in which case you can roll back. Or degraded performance. But I've never seen in my 25 years of gaming a long-term update that causes things to stop working alltogether.

I'm sorry but this is unacceptable and further alienates casual players from going into sims

9 minutes ago, yoadknux said:

I understand that its temporary, and like I said, personally I was lucky enough to come up with a roll-back method while it was still possible, so I'm unaffected

But how in the world would I recommend ANYONE to spend thousands of dollars on equipment that just becomes incompatiable for nearly a month with no date for a fix?

This is NOT the "nature of PC gaming". In PC gaming there are things like driver incompatibility, in which case you can roll back. Or degraded performance. But I've never seen in my 25 years of gaming a long-term update that causes things to stop working alltogether.

I'm sorry but this is unacceptable and further alienates casual players from going into sims

To be fair, this is just one third-party peripheral that is not working, for a few weeks, and not even for all of the peripheral's users. DCS itself still works. And not all Q3 users are affected.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

11 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

To be fair, this is just one third-party peripheral that is not working, for a few weeks, and not even for all of the peripheral's users. DCS itself still works. And not all Q3 users are affected.

This mentality is exactly why this field will never grow and remain a niche, expensive and time consuming segment in PC gaming. Imagine buying a shooter game, and the shooter game works, but one day it stops working with Logitech hardware. So the game launches but the keyboard doesn't work. Or a game that launches only with an AMD GPU and not NVIDIA GPU.

A "few weeks" is a very long downtime in PC gaming, enough to make any average player move on. And the fact that there's no official acknowldgement nor a date for a fix just make this issue worse

35 minutes ago, yoadknux said:

Why aren’t you on Meta’s forum complaining about it? This isn’t Eagle Dynamics doing. This is solely down to Meta. So go complain there if you don’t want this happening again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yoadknux said:

Did you download v63 and were you affected by it? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

20 minutes ago, yoadknux said:

Yes 

Not everyone has been affected. We don't really have a realistic figure as to how many have issues. Just those who use this forum regularly or who have checked the forum as they have had a problem. It would be interesting to get a figure on how many oculus users have the issue. 

On 3/11/2024 at 2:15 PM, yoadknux said:

For now, I was able to survive the dreaded 4 hour snooze.

Here are the steps I took.

1) Uninstall Oculus with the regular Windows uninstaller.

2) Go to C:\Users\(your username)\AppData and remove all Oculus folders inside Local, LocalLow, Roaming

3) Install Oculus from the following link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rn5uurwqvv9qp8q/OculusSetup.exe/file - This will install v62 (at least at the moment this post was written).

4) Turn off Automatic updates on the Oculus app settings. You will still get notified that there is an update ready to install. Snooze it.

5) Go to Oculus folder, delete all the contents of Staging and tmp. Make a copy of the entire Oculus folder, name it Oculusv62. 

6) 4 hours after the snooze, the app will update to v63. Once it's updated, go into safe mode, and replace the contents of the Oculus folder with the contents of Oculusv62. You can do this by deleting the Oculus folder and renaming Oculusv62 into Oculus (I recommend keeping a copy of Oculusv62 regardless)

Optional: Also make a copy of the Oculus folders inside Local, LocalLow, Roaming (from step 2).

7) Exit safe mode. Run OculusSetup, and use it to repair. 

The outcome is that you will have a "fresh" v62 with empty Staging & tmp folders, with auto-updates disabled at the oculus settings. 

I'm still not 100% sure it works long term - it only worked for a few hours for me. It may still update to v63 somehow. However, if it updates, I think restoring the Oculusv62 + AppData folders should send it back to v62 for another few hours. Good luck guys. And I hope ED fixes this issue as soon as possible. 

THIS SOLUTION WORKS!!

For any Oculus Quest 1 and Quest 2 users who are stuck in the V63 version of the Oculus desktop app, this solution works flawlessly and immediately, to get you back flying in VR right away. This is the simplest and most guaranteed workaround we have so far.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yoadknux said:

This mentality is exactly why this field will never grow and remain a niche, expensive and time consuming segment in PC gaming. Imagine buying a shooter game, and the shooter game works, but one day it stops working with Logitech hardware. So the game launches but the keyboard doesn't work. Or a game that launches only with an AMD GPU and not NVIDIA GPU.

A "few weeks" is a very long downtime in PC gaming, enough to make any average player move on. And the fact that there's no official acknowldgement nor a date for a fix just make this issue worse

Game breaking bugs of this nature are EXTREMELY rare - a data point of one, but this is the first time I haven't been able to play when (or rather, how) I wanted to since I started with Lock On all those years ago. And, as mentioned, it can of course still be run in normal 2D mode (hence the 'how').

So while you technically have a point, let's not overstate it. Ironically, had this happened several weeks ago prior to the stable/openbeta path merger, we'd probably have had a hotfix already. So it's a rare 'window of vulnerability' that caught them. As you say, it SHOULDN'T happen, but it does, in very, very rare cases. It's acknowledged and fixed internally already. That'll have to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ala13_Zetas said:

20 days without DCS 🥲 any new about any incoming update? 

You might get a day or two notice of a patch incoming, but often it's not announced until the morning of release in case they run into last minute issues.  You'll never get anything more than a really rough estimate because otherwise people take that as a promise and get out the pitchforks and torches if they change the date.  Usually releases on Weds or Thurs.  BigNewy has made very clear there is no hotfix coming so you'll have to wait for them to finish testing on the fix for this plus whatever else got added, so you could still be 2-4 weeks out.

It's unfortunate, but just sticking the fix for this in could break a bunch of other stuff if they didn't test it, and they have apparently decided this isn't breaking enough that it makes sense to divert a bunch of resources to just test this.

hace 10 horas, Flappie dijo:

Have you tried the workaround?

Yep, I tried this and many other things but nothing really seems to work 😞

hace 7 horas, rob10 dijo:

You might get a day or two notice of a patch incoming, but often it's not announced until the morning of release in case they run into last minute issues.  You'll never get anything more than a really rough estimate because otherwise people take that as a promise and get out the pitchforks and torches if they change the date.  Usually releases on Weds or Thurs.  BigNewy has made very clear there is no hotfix coming so you'll have to wait for them to finish testing on the fix for this plus whatever else got added, so you could still be 2-4 weeks out.

It's unfortunate, but just sticking the fix for this in could break a bunch of other stuff if they didn't test it, and they have apparently decided this isn't breaking enough that it makes sense to divert a bunch of resources to just test this.

It is what it is, I learn the lesson and I switched off the automatic oculus updates 😅

Thanks anyway guys 🙂

Edited by Ala13_Zetas

On 3/23/2024 at 5:19 AM, slughead said:

Why aren’t you on Meta’s forum complaining about it? This isn’t Eagle Dynamics doing. This is solely down to Meta. So go complain there if you don’t want this happening again.

Wrong every other game had no issue with the update. Meta are saying its DCS because they didn't keep up to date with the new software update from meta where as every other game platform  did. Because of this we are grounded.

Edited by adam34aus
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 8:57 AM, VirusAM said:

Thanks...maybe for some reason the quest pro is not suffering from this change...

Another user saw that there are no issues with the new version...I am waiting that he replies on which headset does he use

How does the headset version I am using compare to what others have? My thought here is that meta have released a version which somehow solves the issue and anyone affected might be able to upgrade to this version instead of having to wait for a DCS fix. 

1 hour ago, adam34aus said:

Wrong every other game had no issue with the update. Meta are saying its DCS because they didn't keep up to date with the new software update from meta where as every other game platform  did. Because of this we are grounded.

Oh right. My bad eh? So the fact that the same thing happened to Steam (and thus all VR games via Steam) was just a coincidence. 🤔

• Like 1

My Oculus software automatically updated to v63. My DCS install crashes on load now using Oculus and Open XR. I tried to switch to Steam VR but it crashes on any mission load, even trying to get in the editor crashes. Im using a Quest Pro and Nvidia GPU.

This is my log file....

dcs.log

Edited by Bossco82
  • Like 1

I have v62 still, I did nothing but Today this pop up appeared 🤪 :

lPiS3vl.jpg

This is the last week of March so parhaps we will see the patch soon, I hope.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro