Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

On 3/18/2024 at 5:16 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Apologies I know it is an inconvenience but there will not be a hot fix, as mentioned in previous posts we are currently testing many features and fixes for the next patch. These tests are for DCS core, and all modules and will take time. As soon as I can give you a public patch date I will update the patch status post linked in my signature below. 

thank you 

It seems it was presumed that people could just disable the updates as a workaround...

RiftS • RX5950XT • 5800X3D • 64GB
F-86 • F-5E • F-16C • F/A-18C • P-51D • UH-1H • L-39 • MiG-15 • MiG-21
Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

Screw the Christian Eagle II

9 hours ago, tribbin said:

OK guys... I got it working.

1. Download the folders on this guys Google Drive: https://www.reddit.com/r/dcsworld/comments/1blxiry/comment/kwkcbib/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
(and give this Redditor an upvote)

2. Stop the Oculus service in Windows.

3. Overwrite the -client and -runtime folders in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support with his files.

4. Start Oculus app and then start DCS.

If Oculus updates, repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

image.png

This worked for me - Fingers crossed ED will push a proper update soon so don't have todo work around like this. Thank you for finding it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tribbin said:

It seems it was presumed that people could just disable the updates as a workaround...

1. It does work if you're lucky enough to stop it before the update and if you already know about the issue.

2. Disabling updates in the app itself does not work. You have to use the folder/file manual method mentioned earlier.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

37 minutes ago, tribbin said:

It’s less painful to have your teeth removed than speaking to the support team at Meta. 

Edited by slughead
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, draconus said:

In my part of the world math says 6 weeks from last update will be April 4th.

As I think you know very well, sometimes it was 6 weeks, sometimes shorter, rarely longer so don't say it's always exactly that many days. We have been waiting for quite a long time, and the hot fix, which should be mandatory, has not been released.

It's a bit like going to a job meeting, stepping on something on the lawn on the way, and not having to clean shoe because I didn't expect it and didn't plan on it. The effect will be obvious at the end. 😅

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

As I promised, I didn't do anything because I think there should be a patch but ... I see that I recived the update (even I pushed Yesterday "Snooze of update for 4 hours"). Now I have this version of Meta Quest Link:

PNDBYwp.jpg

and no issue in VR for me 😁. Link Cable and DCS MT / OpenXR works, however Im on Quest Pro, not Quest 3.

5Sa.gif

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 minutes ago, YoYo said:

As I think you know very well, sometimes it was 6 weeks, sometimes shorter, rarely longer so don't say it's always exactly that many days.

What was before does not matter anymore because it's the first time we wait for an update in new "united" version schedule. I know they try to aim at 6 weeks but I can't share optimism with you and most definitely don't expect it at 5 weeks. Rather 6 or more...

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Running v63, force_oculus works for me, but it does not matter. Any API that I run does not matter after latest DCS patch, be it oculus, openxr or steam, I get the same problem - MT is pointless for me in VR, it utilizes 1 core and the res 11 can go **** of. Funny thing is, as soon as I switch to flat screen, everything is running better tan fine.
And this started after the last DCS update for me.
Also fun fact while running MT on 1 core, winding up the setting so that DCS is CPU limited and drops to 30 fps, as soon as I alt-tab out of the reprojection window (out of focus), fps jumps up to 70-90. . . .

If you blocked the updater by preventing access to the staging and tmp folders then it possible that only just the version number is updated and not the actual binaries. This may also be complete tosh too. If you have block the folders and you’re confident you’ve been updated, try uninstalling Oculus, check the program folders and the workaround folders and files are gone and then install Oculus again.

6 minutes ago, slughead said:

If you blocked the updater by preventing access to the staging and tmp folders then it possible that only just the version number is updated and not the actual binaries. This may also be complete tosh too. If you have block the folders and you’re confident you’ve been updated, try uninstalling Oculus, check the program folders and the workaround folders and files are gone and then install Oculus again.

Re-installing now lets you end up with v63, since yesterday.

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

The update finally hit me on my quest 3 today 😞

I only got VR because of dcs and only got it setup with pc upgrades and my first module a couple months ago 😞

Ironically spent half my time messing, and few days ago was attempting to negate the meta software entirely using just openxr but couldnt get it to work, I dont know what im doing really, so I CBA messing with meta userfiles, i can see how slap that meta software is, im miffed but hardly surprised.  so will just be waiting patiently for the DCS update to roll around i guess..

NGL will be checking every day. My stupid quest 3 is already gathering dust....😅

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keeps said:

The update finally hit me on my quest 3 today 😞

I only got VR because of dcs and only got it setup with pc upgrades and my first module a couple months ago 😞

Ironically spent half my time messing, and few days ago was attempting to negate the meta software entirely using just openxr but couldnt get it to work, I dont know what im doing really, so I CBA messing with meta userfiles, i can see how slap that meta software is, im miffed but hardly surprised.  so will just be waiting patiently for the DCS update to roll around i guess..

NGL will be checking every day. My stupid quest 3 is already gathering dust....😅

Multiple people were successful with my instructions:

• Thanks 1

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

I haven’t been able to get the “force oculus” thing to work. Not sure about the performance if I did. I’ll have to go into the config file and set VR enable to false so it will load; and I’ll play pancake until a fix

thanks BigNewy….that makes sense

Qcumber: at work now, I’ll see when I get home. It updates automatically so I can’t see why I wouldn’t have the newest; unless there is a beta that you can download if selected 

12 hours ago, Mike_CK said:

on another note, I tried setting SteamVR as the opemXR instead of oculus but my headset wouldn’t put me in the game…no menu just the inside of a hanger. Not sure that helps a damn thing but whatever

You need so start dcs from desktop icon, then using steamvr works. 

6 minutes ago, Mike_CK said:

Qcumber: at work now, I’ll see when I get home. It updates automatically so I can’t see why I wouldn’t have the newest; unless there is a beta that you can download if selected 

I just turned on auto update and public test test channel and let it update to all the latest versions. No prior blocking updates or anything. It works fine with Quest Pro on cable. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

So about a month ago i was having an issue with DCS MT crashing on startup in vr. Someone on the forums linked a thread saying there was an issue that if you were on the public test channel on the Oculus app it would cause DCS to Crash on start up. i opted out of the PTC and that fixed the problem, until last night when i updated the Oculus app. it seems that whatever was causing the issue when it was in beta is still there in the now current version of the oculus app. This is horribly frustrating Because i know the fix but since the oculus app doesn't let you revert to older versions there is nothing i can do about it. So i guess i'm posting this in hopes that someone out there knows another fix or that there is a dev who can tell me if this is being worked on. I will link the previously mentioned posts and a log below. Thank you for any help.

dcs.log

Edited by Hangry Kraken

• Gizzy changed the title to -
  • ED Team
6 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Incorrect topic - please delete

it was ok Gizzy I had merged it with the topic 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

After Occulus Autoupdate Q3, DCS refuses to start after NVIDEA splash screen in VR or 2D base.....

DCS Full repair, uninstall and reinstall relevant software no luck... Rename SAVED GAMES, DCS closes before new creation.  The poor DoDo has more life than DCS.

Thanks @BIGNEWY  @Flappie but  --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR did not work.   Even DCS.exe started in the normal windiw with no params failed to start DCS....

Must admit bit disappointed when I read no plans to issue a hotfix... but maybe there is a big bottleneck with the new Models.... ah seen....... @BIGNEWYthanks for 

Kind Regards
Chris

SIGBLOCK.png

34 minutes ago, Bluto74 said:

Were you able to open the debug tool after your method?

I'm not familiar with what debug tool you are referring to. If you have an instruction on what I must do to help gather information, let me know.

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

4 minutes ago, tribbin said:

I'm not familiar with what debug tool you are referring to. If you have an instruction on what I must do to help gather information, let me know.

It is the interface I need to use to make performace good.  Located in Occulus, Support, Diagnostics.  It is called the Oculus Debug Tool.

12 minutes ago, Bluto74 said:

It is the interface I need to use to make performace good.  Located in Occulus, Support, Diagnostics.  It is called the Oculus Debug Tool.

Maybe ask Dookieshoes73 for his version of that folder:

image.png

Edited by tribbin
  • Like 1

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada