Switches are silent?

Go to solution Solved by buceador,

@buceador I had a random idea. Try to move the slider to the left, save, go back above it to right. I wonder if the lua is not saving properly. Permissions? After you save, check the date and time to see it actually saved.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 hours ago, buceador said:

Thanks for the suggestion, which .lua are you referring to?

hello. the LUA is options.lua found in CONFIG folder in Saved Games. in that file about line 472 "["switches"] = 300," when i made my change to options, the file saved.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

9 hours ago, silverdevil said:

hello. the LUA is options.lua found in CONFIG folder in Saved Games. in that file about line 472 "["switches"] = 300," when i made my change to options, the file saved.

Many thanks for pursuing this somewhat esoteric problem!

It IS saving the changes.  I went from 300 to 100 and the change was saved in the options.lua no still no switch sounds.

31 minutes ago, buceador said:

Many thanks for pursuing this somewhat esoteric problem!

It IS saving the changes.  I went from 300 to 100 and the change was saved in the options.lua no still no switch sounds.

Can you hear the afterburner detent?

btw. I put the value for switches to 1200 (by editing the .lua) because the detent was to silent for my liking. I can't tell from the top of my head, what the other switches sound like right now.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Now that you mention it, they're too quiet for me too.
I played around a bit.  Test only with the F-16.

image.png

I changed it in the lua file.

image.png

What I'm missing: a slider for the wind noise!!! They're too exaggerated for me.>(Other module too) So you can hear them with a helmet?

You need the button sound to simulate it, ... feedback, confirmation..

/0

ohh . me too LOL

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, buceador said:

Irrespective of what value I assign to switches they remain silent and yes I hear the AB sound.

@BIGNEWY perhaps this problem extends further than my specific setup?

Hi

Can we take a closer look at your sound setup in DCS,

Rather than leaving your audio devices on default can you select the audio devices in the drop down menus 

do you see any difference when you do that? 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

15 minutes ago, buceador said:

Irrespective of what value I assign to switches they remain silent and yes I hear the AB sound.

Just to be clear. I meant specifically the mechanical sound of the detent of the throttle lever, not the Afterburner itself.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Just to be clear. I meant specifically the mechanical sound of the detent of the throttle lever, not the Afterburner itself.

Ah, then no!

34 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi

Can we take a closer look at your sound setup in DCS,

Rather than leaving your audio devices on default can you select the audio devices in the drop down menus 

do you see any difference when you do that? 

thank you 

I have tried that several times to no avail but thank you for the suggestion, the most puzzling aspect is that ALL other sounds, both inside the cockpit and out function normally.

• ED Team

can I ask you to create a support ticket here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

Lets see if the support team can work it out.

Attach your dcs log and dxdiag also to the support ticket

thank you 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

29 minutes ago, buceador said:

I have done so.

Keep us updated in case you get it solved. Would be interesting to know the culprit.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

Just to keep anyone who is interested in the loop, this is the reply from DCS support and my questions to them...

"Hello Jeremy,

I played a track from the forum and I heard a switching sound in this track. I also hear a switching sound in any mission from Instant Action.
Please, rename the C:\Users\solea\Saved Games\DCS folder to any name and check a sound.
Renaming will remove unofficial mods and reset all user settings to the default level.

Sincerely yours
Alexander Maximov"

"Please notify us that you are ready when the DCS folder is deleted or moved to another location.

Our assumption is that these are still mods (or the remains of their files)
The fact is that the clicks go along the same channel as other sounds. And in the vanilla version of DCS, such a problem, in our opinion, is excluded.

Best regards and many happy landings !
Konstantin "MotorEAST" Kharin
Eagle Dynamics IT Team"

My reply...

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have a couple of questions...

1. If I rename my current SAVED GAMES/DCS folder and allow DCS to rebuild that folder, will I then, at some point, be able to restore my original  SAVED GAMES/DCS folder should I wish to?

2. My current  SAVED GAMES/DCS folder contains approximately 16,500 files.  If returning to the vanilla version of DCS restores the switch sounds how will I know which of those 16,500 is the culprit?

1) You can just delete the new folder and rename the old one back to the original name to restore it. 

2) You don‘t (immediately), but you know that the culprit is some individual change you made to your game. You could start by replacing one subfolder after another and circle in on the problem…..

I would start by copying your controls config folder from the backup to the fresh one, because that is unlikely the culprit and very annoying to rebuild….then the next folder and so on….

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hiob said:

1) You can just delete the new folder and rename the old one back to the original name to restore it. 

2) You don‘t (immediately), but you know that the culprit is some individual change you made to your game. You could start by replacing one subfolder after another and circle in on the problem…..

I would start by copying your controls config folder from the backup to the fresh one, because that is unlikely the culprit and very annoying to rebuild….then the next folder and so on….

This is what I imagined, tracking down the culprit could be quite time consuming and I am questioning if it is worth the effort for restoring switch sounds 🤪

21 minutes ago, buceador said:

This is what I imagined, tracking down the culprit could be quite time consuming and I am questioning if it is worth the effort for restoring switch sounds 🤪

That‘s up to you of course.

I certainly couldn’t relax until everything runs like intended again….😁

2 hours ago, buceador said:

Ok, so I bit the bullet, removed the SAVED GAMES/DCS folder, started DCS, tried the switches and... silence.

Ok, so don't get angry of me, but at this point, I have to ask....

of what quality are your headphones/speakers/ears? Are you using any sort of equalizer? (If you happen to use an equalizer, try to lower the highs and lift the mids and basses, to take the edge of the swooshing and hissing sounds and push the "clonk" sounds)

I don't ask to insult or mock you! But switches and so on are rather low volume compared to all the other noises and can easily be drowned if any of the physical audio chain is sub par.

Edited by Hiob

Ok... so I just tried again for myself.

The switches are very quiet in the default (300) setting. Especially when the "hear like in helmet" option is ticked. But they are audible. When you untick the helmet option, it is a bit easier to hear them.

However, to alleviate the problem, changing the value in the options.lua (~line 610) to 1200 does help a lot. Have you tried that?

51 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Ok, so don't get angry of me, but at this point, I have to ask....

of what quality are your headphones/speakers/ears? Are you using any sort of equalizer? (If you happen to use an equalizer, try to lower the highs and lift the mids and basses, to take the edge of the swooshing and hissing sounds and push the "clonk" sounds)

I don't ask to insult or mock you! But switches and so on are rather low volume compared to all the other noises and can easily be drowned if any of the physical audio chain is sub par.

Ha!  Don't worry!  I would be asking the same questions!  Yes, I have increased the volume in the .lua.  I have good quality speakers and headphones.  No equaliser nor Windows sound enhancements. It's important to remember that this is a recent problem, I cannot remember exactly but certainly this year, before switch sounds were loud and clear. also subtle sounds like weapon launches are still clearly audible, it is ONLY the switch sounds that are silent.  Are the sound files for switches accessible and unencrypted do you know? @BIGNEWY

2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Then I‘m out of ideas. 🫤

Me too - I'll see what the support guys come up with but I reckon they're heading down the full reinstall road and for me that's simply not worth it, especially as there is no guarantee that it will work - I will probably just live with it.  Many thanks for your input.👍

9 minutes ago, buceador said:

Me too - I'll see what the support guys come up with but I reckon they're heading down the full reinstall road and for me that's simply not worth it, especially as there is no guarantee that it will work - I will probably just live with it.  Many thanks for your input.👍

I don‘t get it though. Why the sound should be selectively screwed.

Have you applied any Mods to the main game folder (which you should use a mod manager for!)?