F18 now has a constant slight yaw???

Hello everyone,

Ever since the latest update, every time I start any Instant action mission the mission starts up with the plane experiencing on automatic, yaw input, and that input remains constantly. When I activate the auto pilot, that sometimes lines everything up, but you can see that it constantly is trying to correct the slight input that it’s encountering. I’ve gone out of the cockpit to view the exterior of the plane and I don’t see the Rutters moving and they appear to be straight. It is very annoying because it is throwing off any bombing sequence I tried to do.  

I’ve gone out of the cockpit to view the exterior of the plane and I don’t see the rudders moving and they appear to be straight. It is very annoying because it is throwing off any bombing sequence I try to do.

I have been able to correct this somewhat with the rudder trim , but I don’t understand why this is happening. Here is a picture of the HUD. This happens every time I begin a mission in flight. I greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. I’m running open beta with the latest update and I don’t have any mods installed. 

IMG_0958.jpeg

Edited by Toro113Loco

Did you check your axes to see if some other device is perhaps causing constant yaw input? Are your pedals properly centred?

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Running ugly loadout? Crosswind? When's the last time you recalibrated your joystick?

I find, since I turn off my USB hub when not in use, that my joystick center position wanders a bit over time.

1 minute ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Did you check your axes to see if some other device is perhaps causing constant yaw input? Are your pedals properly centred?

This is always an annoying culperate.  Spent hours trying to fix it once only to find out that just having an Xbox one controller plugged in was adding input.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

They are centered. I have unplugged them, and I still get the same thing.

4 minutes ago, skins45 said:

Running ugly loadout? Crosswind? When's the last time you recalibrated your joystick?

I find, since I turn off my USB hub when not in use, that my joystick center position wanders a bit over time.

This is always an annoying culperate.  Spent hours trying to fix it once only to find out that just having an Xbox one controller plugged in was adding input.  

I will look into the calibration. Is this done with the joysticks software, or should I do this on the DCS settings page?

6 minutes ago, skins45 said:

And I don’t think it’s the loadout because I’m using instant action missions. I’m not changing anything on the missions. I’ve flown all these missions before and I’ve never had this problem. Does the wind change in instant action missions??

4 minutes ago, Toro113Loco said:

They are centered. I have unplugged them, and I still get the same thing.

I will look into the calibration. Is this done with the joysticks software, or should I do this on the DCS settings page?

Be safe, do both! Start with the joystick software then do dcs

10 minutes ago, Toro113Loco said:

And I don’t think it’s the loadout because I’m using instant action missions. I’m not changing anything on the missions. I’ve flown all these missions before and I’ve never had this problem. Does the wind change in instant action missions??

Hmm, probably not, but next time you look externally, check for ugly.  I think you said it's always pulling the same direction regardless of your heading so you can rule out wind

8 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

How can an Xbox controller add any input to any axis that is assigned to another controller (likely a joystick)?

Because dcs will auto-assign axes to controllers.   For example. My rudder always has an assignment for the pitch axis when setting it up with new keybind profiles.

12 minutes ago, skins45 said:

Be safe, do both! Start with the joystick software then do dcs

Should also do the rudder.

Edited by skins45

4 minutes ago, skins45 said:

Hmm, probably not, but next time you look externally, check for ugly.  I think you said it's always pulling the same direction regardless of your heading so you can rule out wind

Because dcs will auto-assign axes to controllers.   For example. My rudder always has an assignment for the pitch axis when setting it up with new keybind profiles.

What does it mean to “check for ugly”? 

• ED Team

Hi, 

please check for double inputs on your axis, there should be only one device assigned to the axis. 

Check the device is calibrated in windows 

If you still have issues please attach a short track replay example, you can save a track when you exit a mission 

And as mentioned above check the wind speed in the mission. 

thank you 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ok so I think I found something. I went outside the plane again and focused on the engine nozzles. I cranked up to full throttle and noticed the starboard afterburner was brighter than port, leading me to believe that the port engine isn’t synced with the other. 

im using a thrustmaster hotas one which has one throttle to operate both engines. How do I check calibration for this in game. The thrustmaster software shows the hotas working fine. 

16 hours ago, Toro113Loco said:

thrustmaster hotas one which has one throttle to operate both engines

T.Flight? Did you double-check the throttles are configured correctly in your DCS settings: go to "axis settings" and double click the axis you want to check.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

28 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

T.Flight? Did you double-check the throttles are configured correctly in your DCS settings: go to "axis settings" and double click the axis you want to check.

I did. And for some reason it isn’t showing the throttle axis bound to the tflight despite the fact that the tflight is operating the throttle. And it won’t let me bind the tflight throttle to the throttle axis. I don’t get it??

34 minutes ago, markom said:

Are you, perhaps, using an external tool that could be mapping axis input to keystrokes or something like that?

Not that I know of. I know when I first started dcs, I just plugged in the tflight and it automatically mapped the throttle. It was working fine too. 

6 hours ago, Toro113Loco said:

I did. And for some reason it isn’t showing the throttle axis bound to the tflight despite the fact that the tflight is operating the throttle. And it won’t let me bind the tflight throttle to the throttle axis. I don’t get it??

It's the "thrust" axis.  There's one fir left, right, but you want the both bind.

A screen capture of your axes assignment page would go a loooooong way to clarifying what you're describing.  For that matter, a brief track recording would also clarify what the original problem actually is and is trivial to do.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

A screen capture of your axes assignment page would go a loooooong way to clarifying what you're describing.  For that matter, a brief track recording would also clarify what the original problem actually is and is trivial to do.

This is my first time uploading a track. Hope it works. 

IMG_1010.jpeg

Yaw issue 1.trk

From that pic, you're not assigning it as an AXIS, you're in the keybind section.  Where you are searching for "throttle", instead of choosing "search" choose "Axis Commands".  It will give you a whole different set of binding options that will allow you to bind it as an AXIS (not a keybind which is the section you're currently in).

As was mentioned above, look for the THRUST binding in AXIS COMMANDS and you'll get what you need.