22.03.2024 - MiG-29A Announcement | Afghanistan Development Report | Spring Sale Final Hours

6 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

FYI, Afghan isn't actually a desert map. 🙂 People are going to be so surprised when they find that out...

I can also foresee a flood of complaints from those who load their helos like a flying armory, go flying in an Afghan summer and then realize the helo feels like it is stuck to the ground (especially the Hind, which routinely used a runways to take off when flying heavy in the region). Or that they can't set QFE because the dial doesn't go that high. Afghanistan is mountains, people! 

British Apaches took of from the 250 meter helo runway at Camp Bastion.

Even with "just" 300 shells, 2 Hellfires. and 38 rockets. But they probably had max fuel with the extra fuel tank for max distance and loiter time.

So far in the Apache Dawn book, they've neve had more than 300 rounds for the gun.

They also mostly use flachettes on their rockets 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

That's about what you should expect when setting up for a mission there, too. I also expect the same people who say it's a "desert map" to load the Apache up with full shells, 8 Hellfires, rockets and the radar, then attempt a vertical takeoff. Nu-uh, you're not going up today. 🙂 Checking your performance tables is going to be important even for fixed wing, since while their ability to fly is somewhat less affected, the takeoff roll can get long in these conditions.

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Quick tally.

Harrier

M2000

F16

F18

F14(wrong model)

Apache 

Hind

HIP

F15E

A10

Upcoming Kiowa, Chinnock. Tornado

AI B1

If only we had a full fidelity Blackhawk.

I just picked up a book, "Afghan Air Wars," by Michael Napier. I've only skimmed it, as it just arrived yesterday, but I saw F-14Bs were deployed, I only saw VF-213 called out for the F-14Ds.

Other close matches to existing or upcoming modules I see: French Mirage F1CRs, and during the Soviet-Afghan War MiG-23MLD, MiG-21bis, plus Afghan Air Force MiG-17 and MiG-21bis.

Still hoping for a Super Étendard announcement some day, and see them called out buddy-lasing for Rafales, which I wasn't aware of.

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

I hope you do some more mountains and valleys into the neighbour countiures.

Yeah, we don't want to see these cut out like east of Vaziani... ouch.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, Mustang said:

We have at least the community Blackhawk mod which many servers use, so there's that.

The problem for me is.

1. Mods are never gonna be supported in official campaigns or missions.

2. Mods do break and they can break DCS too.

3. Doesn't have AI gunners, which removes realism and immersion when you don't have door gunners.

4. Dosnt support force trim on force feedback stick.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

5 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

About Afganistan, will there also be modeled the highest mountain which is 7492m high, just on the border with Pakistan?

Would be awesome to have all those huge mountains and valleys.

One more thing, how would you blur the high terrain which is on the border with other countries like Pakistan and Tajikistan (towards ground zero)? Lots of border go over the mountin tops, specially with Pakistan. I hope you do some more mountains and valleys into the neighbour countiures.

image.png

image.png

I think this will be an awesome map, also big enough for any types of conflicts.

I’ve been there a few times, the landscape is just amazing.

This Picture looks like it’s low level; but I was at 41000ft, every peak is 6000m or higher. ( East afghan border)IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

Edited by Badger1-1
  • Like 6

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Dragon1-1:

FYI, Afghan isn't actually a desert map.

I know... and actually try to relay to people the fact it's mostly high mountains some with dense forrest, some majestic peaks with snow covered tops rivaling the Himalaya. Lush valleys, agricultural areas, steppe and beautiful lakes. The Helmand valley is dense vegetation, with nutritios soil growing fruits, veggies and poppies, that won't grow in any desert.

Yes, there are two arid desert regions, but that's only a small part of the overall country. 

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

2 hours ago, shagrat said:

some majestic peaks with snow covered tops rivaling the Himalaya.

They aren't rivaling the Himalayas, they are Himalayas. Just not the part people usually think of when they hear the name (that is, the central part where Mount Everest is). The proper name of that part is Hindu Kush Himalayan Region. While slightly less tall, it's no less spectacular, although the best part is on Afghanistan's eastern border. I presume they started with the Western part to ensure they'll have the time they'll need to do those mountains justice (although making Kabul will be quite a task, too).

This is one map I'm really looking forward to, although like with others, I'll probably end up waiting for actual campaigns for it to show up, since I fly in SP only. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shagrat said:

I know... and actually try to relay to people the fact it's mostly high mountains some with dense forrest, some majestic peaks with snow covered tops rivaling the Himalaya. Lush valleys, agricultural areas, steppe and beautiful lakes. The Helmand valley is dense vegetation, with nutritios soil growing fruits, veggies and poppies, that won't grow in any desert.

Still mainly a desertic country, looked for images and videos of the Helmand valley, and I dind´t see a single forest or dense vegetation, just some light green patches of human crops. Forest cover like less of 5% of the whole country. Also, you can just use satellite images or even Google Earth to realise its a 90% arid country. It´s not the Sahara, but dont talk bout it like its a green country 🧐

And having mountains its precisely one of the reasons that most of the country is so desertic.

vi_map.jpg

I´ll get the map because of its historic background, once is more complete, but I know I´ll be flying above all brown lands.

Edited by AKULA_OPTIMUS
  • Like 2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb AKULA_OPTIMUS:

Still mainly a desertic country, looked for images and videos of the Helmand valley, and I dind´t see a single forest or dense vegetation, just some light green patches of human crops. Forest cover like less of 5% of the whole country. Also, you can just use satellite images or even Google Earth to realise its a 90% arid country. It´s not the Sahara, but dont talk bout it like its a green country 🧐

And having mountains its precisely one of the reasons that most of the country is so desertic.

vi_map.jpg

I´ll get the map because of its historic background, once is more complete, but I know I´ll be flying above all brown lands.

There is a big difference between mountains and desert.

This is Khost:

image.png

Korrengal Valley:

image.png

Helmand valley:

image.png

Faryab province:

image.png

Parwan:

image.png

...and then there's lot of steppe, some actual desert and rocky areas.

• Like 3

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Mountains and desert are not mutually exclusive.  You can find pictures of green plants in Afghanistan, especially after seasonal rain, but they're not really representative of the country on average.

There is steppe and tundra the Hindukush mountain range.

And somehow all that "desert" doubles as an agricultural area growing melons(!), other fruit, tomato, potato, onion and wheat. The north eastern forests of cedar, pine and oak host timber production growing in the mountains.

image.png

image.png

If the photographs, maps and a little bit of serious internet research still can't show people the diversity in the landscape (IRL, at least), and the Registan desert is all that defines the country for some, I can't help it.

Ultimately the basic mantra for all purchases apply. 

Don't like the product? Don't complain, that a company is producing something you personally don't like, simply  don't buy it.

• Like 2

Shagrat

15 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

Still mainly a desertic country, looked for images and videos of the Helmand valley, and I dind´t see a single forest or dense vegetation, just some light green patches of human crops.

Because you've looked at one of the aforementioned two areas where there are deserts in Afghan. Nobody said there weren't, just that it's not all that there is to the country, and it's not fair to call it a "desert map", or a desert country. Pics from famous US ops in places like Helmand or Kandahar don't really represent the majority of the country. Don't look at Google Earth images, either, since you don't know when a particular pic was taken, whether it's brown or green from above depends heavily on the season.

Nobody is claiming it's going to be a lush, forested paradise. It is arid, and it's also more vertical than big forests usually prefer. Shrubbery, grass, multicolored poppy fields (the opium poppy among them, a major headache for everyone, including, at times, the Taliban) and various other non-forest forms of vegetation abound. That's not even accounting for irrigated fields. Even the part we're initially getting will be quite diverse, with temperate areas to the north and desert in the south.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shagrat said:

Don't like the product? Don't complain, that a company is producing something you personally don't like, simply  don't buy it.

Where did I say I dont like it, exactly?🧐  I even said I would buy it.

Its a brown arid country, and showing colored maps of scattered human made crops and pictures of some green areas which are not even representative of 5% of the country doesn´t change it.

It´s like saying Iran is not mainly desert because of the Mazandaran province.

• Like 2

It's exactly like saying Afghanistan is a desert because of the Helmand province. As a matter of fact, it is extremely diverse, although it is on the arid side, so it does go brown, especially when it hasn't rained in a while. However, that does not mean it lacks vegetation, it's just that this vegetation tends to be other colors than greens that we're used to in wetter areas.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to 22.03.2024 - MiG-29A Announcement | Afghanistan Development Report | Spring Sale Final Hours
  • BIGNEWY unpinned this topic
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic