Dcs and anti virus.. What do you use?

Ghostmaker

I have a fairly new 4090 pc setup only for Dcs use. I want to install anti virus but dont want all the troubles ive read people having when trying to add mods and install uodates.  Any help will be greatful

For a gaming PC, you don't really need anything but Windows Defender. I use Comodo, but that's more of a firewall with an AV attached, and I suspect I don't really need it at this point (I got it installed a long time ago).

• Like 1

I use ESET. As much for the firewall as for anything else. (I like to keep an eye on what software (and the OS) is doing, and ESET allows me to do this well.

Unfortunately ESET is one of the antivirus programs that have flagged false positives with DCS. In saying that, I don't think it matters what antivirus you get - if you get one that has advanced threat detection, there's a risk that you can get false positives. If you get one that only has the basics, well... you can turn off various advanced threat protection features in the advanced as well.

If your PC is only for DCS use, and the network you have it on is well protected - you'll probably be fine as Dragon1-1 has mentioned with windows defender. Regardless of what security you have, nothing works as well as having good backups on the stuff you don't want to, and/or can't afford to lose. 

The one included with Windows is enough.

I've used Avast and Kaspersky recently, both were decent but I don't really need an external antivirus. I know where I'm clicking and what I'm dowloading.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghostmaker said:

I have a fairly new 4090 pc setup only for Dcs use. I want to install anti virus but dont want all the troubles ive read people having when trying to add mods and install uodates.  Any help will be greatful

I use the one that comes included with Windows: MS Defender … any AV can detect false positives, to prevent that I exclude the DCS file path from AV action.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

none, game folders are supposed to be exempt,. otherwise every file loaded into memory is going to be scanned as well as processes.... kills performance.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3 hours ago, diego999 said:

I've used Avast

Yes, I also use Avast.

Avast detects DCS as a game software and puts DCS into the exception list automatically.  However, Avast does make false alarm for the DCS MovingMap and I have to make an exception for DCS movingmap.  Otherwise, no issue is so far. 

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

Thanks all, Some really helpful replies here. I have windows 11 pc built by a well know uk pc builder. I know i have fire wall, i assume this is windows version of anti virus? I wanted to download the asset pack mod from massun92 but keeps something keeps giving me a warning when i go to download. I assume its all ok to down load? But as i wasnt 100 % i didnt want to cause my new setup any issues

As others mentioned, 90% of the protection comes from a mindful use of the internet. Meaning to download only from official and credible sources. Avoiding file sharing and pirated software etc. , don’t open unsolicited e-mails and so on and so forth.

If you do that, you are mostly safe. Apart from that, the integrated Defender does a decent (or average if you will) job, compared to most of the other popular choices, with the added benefit of being comparable light on system resources.

The thing isn’t, that others aren’t good, it is more, that they don’t add significantly over the build in option. (Anymore).

This will always be a matter of instances though. Defender may eventually fail at a threat that another would have recognized, but that goes the other way round, too. Failures, false positives and false negatives are inevitable. That’s why the first 90% of protection are at so important.

If I need to swim dangerous waters (for whatever reason), I don’t rely on AV, I use a Linux VM with a VPN.

Edited by Hiob
typo
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

No AV here except Windows Defender if you want to count that. AV is helpful if you do something to get infected (usually something stupid) but there's no substitute for simply not getting infected in the first place, ie good browsing habits, avoiding sketchy sites, good email habits, good security habits (passwords etc), etc. No antivirus in the world can protect somebody with bad habits, meanwhile somebody with good habits doesn't really need an AV at all.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

none, game folders are supposed to be exempt,. otherwise every file loaded into memory is going to be scanned as well as processes.... kills performance.

I concur. I even deactivated my windows defender. My PC only for DCS. I work on my laptop.
  • Like 2

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Like others have written. Defender all the way locally. Virtual machines when being brave, and pfSense on a separate appliance for blocking, monitoring, VPN and what not.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1