Flight Dynamic Engine

• ED Team
It's all good here.

Like they say: Slow is Smooth!, Smooth is Fast!

Small moves are the safest.

Yep - as my instructor on fixed wing used to yell at me - "Think that you are gently stroking a girl, and not playing at being a b****y batsman at cricket (or baseball for our none UK & Aus friends).

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to ask this.

If someone really wants to fly the Ka-50 with as much auto anything turned off as they can? what would be the check list? excluding the dampers of course (not good handling with those off)....LOL

I have tried to look up in the manual how all the different systems go together but still get something messing with my heading yaw control when not wanted. I'm perplexed a bit here.

I need to ask this.

If someone really wants to fly the Ka-50 with as much auto anything turned off as they can? what would be the check list? excluding the dampers of course (not good handling with those off)....LOL

There is no checklist because common procedure and training has you flying with all of those things on.

In the real world, there are plenty of reasons for this - in the game, no one stops you from goofing off or flying however you like (or crashing, or ... you get the idea).

Turning the autopilot influence off (in other words, Flight Director ON) is the only thing you need. That's it; it leaves your stabilization channels on, etc etc. You now control the helicopter completely - the only step 'down' from this is pure, raw control with stabilization off which in RL is not permitted unless there is an emergency requiring you to do so (eg. stabilization broken and giving you worse handling than raw control)

I have tried to look up in the manual how all the different systems go together but still get something messing with my heading yaw control when not wanted. I'm perplexed a bit here.
Please try to explain what the problem looks like, as well as how your helicopter is set up.

Things that will affect yaw (alone, or combined!):

Autopilot heading hold or other autopilot mode trying to 'put you back on track'

Rudder

Weathercocking (wind or flight direction!)

Changes in cyclic stick position

Changes in collective position (yes, changing the collecting alone will give you a yawing moment. The more significant and sudden the change, the larger the yaw moment - so change collective smoothly)

Poorly distributed weight can also cause a problem, as well as forgetting your rudder pedals or whatever other control you have in the deflected position after trimming it (basically it will add that deflection on top of the trimmed deflection - this will cause trouble even with AP or stabilization disengaged)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks

But I'm not having any problems. just was getting a little confused with on or off I guess of the flight Director switch. And wether or not any other systems had control.

All is good here. Flying great and not crashing at all. I just like to control the heli as much as possible is all.

I believe the new manual will have some valueable info on all the systems also. Already started printing it out!

So thats it then??? case closed? and were only on page 6.... I'm glad to hear you are getting into it...

:)

I see page 21 in the corner.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hey

I have done some reading about the ka-50 now and I have question about controller inputs.

Other than the axis tune area's. is there any other ways to setup the control ratios.

Everything I have read on the specs on the heli is that it has an unlimited turn rate in hover due to it's coaxial rotor design.

Insert from article here:

The KA-50 features unique maneuvrability and operating characteristics due to the contra-rotating co-axial rotors. The coaxial counter-rotating rotor system negates the need for a tail rotor and its drive system. Because of this, this aircraft is unaffected by wind strength and direction, has an unlimited hovering turn rate, and gives a smaller profile and acoustic signature, while allowing a 10-15% greater power margin. The HOKUM is fully aerobatic. It can perform loops, roll, and "the funnel", where the aircraft will maintain a concentrated point of fire while flying circles of varying altitude, elevation, and airspeed around the target.

This has also been my understanding of the characteristics of the coaxial rotor design.

I have set my Z axis to nearly zero and I don't get a real snappy turn rate.

I have made a trk to show the turnrate I was able to achieve.

TurnRate1.trk

I don't think that's written correctly. It is impossible to have an unlimited turn rate. Rather you're not limited by a tail rotor.

You still have to accelerate to the maximum turn rate, you don't just get it instantaneously - you've got 8 metric tons of inertia to deal with ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have set my Z axis to nearly zero and I don't get a real snappy turn rate.

I have made a trk to show the turnrate I was able to achieve.

[ATTACH]29607[/ATTACH]

Which Rudder Pedals are you using - I take control of your Track when you lower the Gear and get a faster turn rate. Might be indicative of Rudder Input......then again, I might be mistaken :)

You also have a full compliment of ordinance as well as fuel on board......Dump the munitions, drop the Fuel down to 20% and see the performance improve ;)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thank you Viper.

I agree on the munitions & fuel. But I'd also like to thank you on the comntroller input itself. That helps alot, It's good to know that the software does seem to react to different equipment or computer system it seems. Like others have said about FF contrlollers Vs non-FF.

Thanks and I will be looking into that one right away.

I might drop the fuel but you'll have to pry my munitions out of my cold dead hands!..........LOL Just kidding. Old West Saying

Thanks agfain.

I don't think that's written correctly. It is impossible to have an unlimited turn rate. Rather you're not limited by a tail rotor.

You still have to accelerate to the maximum turn rate, you don't just get it instantaneously - you've got 8 metric tons of inertia to deal with ;)

Yeah, that article's a bit ridiculous. Unlimited turn rate? At some point the drag of the fuselage and vertical stab will prevent the helo from spinning any faster. Of course, by that point the pilot would have lost consciousness... or be dizzier than any man has a right to be. :prop:

And the whole bit about it not being by affected wind strength and direction is ridiculous. It's just as susceptible to weathervaning as any other helicopter. What's different is how it counteracts the effects.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]