Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

diecastbg

Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List  

4719 members have voted

1. 1. Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

My thoughts... leave a two seater for the future. A single seater will be easier and we already have a long wait.

Well you could say that every time it comes around. Right now our options are two single-seater airframes that aren't very good choices in general.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problems I see with a two-seater are latency/synchronisation and having a detailed enough environment to keep both players occupied.

I've never played a game in this series (or others, for that matter) that didn't have other players jerking about in weird ways, especially when taking off or landing in a helo. It's not so bad when it's an external aircraft, but I think it'd make for a very interesting challenge to make it playable without weirdness when another player is controlling your aircraft. Might be okay if ED can rework the network model to allow the two players in a single aircraft to have a direct connection with each other, but even that assumes they're close enough that the latency isn't a problem.

The issue with the environment detail is basically down to the discrepancies between real life and a simulated environment. Real life combat ops are very demanding due to the extreme fidelity of real life, and the fluid and dynamic nature of evolving battlefields. Both of these are very difficult to recreate within a simulation.

The other issue is that if you do manage to create an environment that's complex enough for a two-seater to actually be better than -- or even on par with -- two single-seaters, it's probably going to be unplayable single-player. I think it's a hard call for ED to spend resources enhancing multiplayer as-is; it's a pretty big move to enhance MP at the expense of single-player. And I don't know if the two-seater fantasy has enough mindshare to actually make it worth developing "two products".

Still, maybe some innovative AI and interface solution could be found to keep the single-player workload reasonable.

I've never played a game in this series (or others, for that matter) that didn't have other players jerking about in weird ways, especially when taking off or landing in a helo. It's not so bad when it's an external aircraft, but I think it'd make for a very interesting challenge to make it playable without weirdness when another player is controlling your aircraft. Might be okay if ED can rework the network model to allow the two players in a single aircraft to have a direct connection with each other, but even that assumes they're close enough that the latency isn't a problem.

Not sure what problems a jerky take off would have. It would not be like trying to read a book that someone else is holding. The cockpit might jiggle just like is available with camera jiggle today, but its not like you would go to push a button and it would suddenly be 4" away due to a/c attitude change.

During take off and landings the RIO is basically just along for the ride usually. No button pushing would be necessary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Not sure what problems a jerky take off would have. It would not be like trying to read a book that someone else is holding. The cockpit might jiggle just like is available with camera jiggle today, but its not like you would go to push a button and it would suddenly be 4" away due to a/c attitude change.

During take off and landings the RIO is basically just along for the ride usually. No button pushing would be necessary.

He is right! I think to the common observer this gets lost, but here is the scoop. When flying online you will see other clients external aircraft jump around and jitter. It is very disconcerting and kills immersion. The good news is that it seems totally fixed in DCS:A-10C! In FC2 and Ka-50 it is still there however. It was not there in FC1.

Also, IMHO I don't want to be no gosh darn RIO sorry. I want to fly the darn thing lol

You can be my RIO any time.

Bulls#$t. You can be mine ;)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Not sure what problems a jerky take off would have.

I was just using that as an example where it's particularly evident, but it's present all the time. The simulation for each player-controlled aircraft is run on the player's own computer, in order to give them a smooth and pleasant flight experience (and to avoid the server having to do complex flight modeling for every player). The client sends its controller state and aircraft position etc. to the server, which relays it to the other clients so they can display that player's aircraft in the 3D world.

So, if someone's flying along straight and level and then suddenly roll into a high-G turn, the other players won't see the results until your computer tells the server, and the server passes that on to the other players. That can take several hundred milliseconds. In the meantime, your own computer will be "guessing" where the other player's aircraft is and displaying it at the anticipated position.

This is fine in predictable flight, but when maneuvering the predicted position can be off by a noticable amount, and then when your computer receives the actual position of the other player, it has to somehow move the other player from the incorrect predicted position to the correct (as of a few hundred ms ago) current position. I think previously the game just "warped" the aircraft to the new location, which when done continually looks very jittery and weird. Landing a helicopter involves a lot of very small changes to control inputs, and so it's very noticable there. But it's a constant problem due to that time window between a remote player making a control change and your computer knowing about it.

From Crunch's post it sounds like they're now smoothly moving the other player aircraft from their anticipated position to their actual position, so the effect is less noticable. Also, it's easier to predict the path of a fixed-wing aircraft than a helicopter, so that would help reduce the effect.

I've no idea how this would translate to a RIO type position. Transferring control of the aircraft (so the back-seater can take over flying) would be a technical challenge but solvable. The strange motion from the interpolated flight might cause problems for those prone to suffering motion sickness from video games. Theoretically, if the back seat "owns" the avionics and the front seat "owns" the flight model, everything should be copacetic. But there's obviously overlaps which will complicate the implementation.

This is probably all solvable to a reasonable extent, but again it's the point that it'd require quite a lot of resources to do well, for the fairly small proportion of players that will actually want to do multicrewed flights. Especially if you also want to make missions where the backseat actually makes the pilot more effective than two single-crewed aircraft would be.

Aren't challenges the reason that lets us improve ourselves?!? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Could be a tomcat which ties in nicely with the new film out next year! :=0

What film?! I've been trying to find a decent fighter pilot movie but all I found was top gun, stealth and those silly iron eagle series. Would be awesome to have a full blown jet fighter movie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You forgot Sky Fighters!

Really sexy aviation footage, but as always: Story sucks...

Link

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You forgot Sky Fighters!

Link

Great film!!

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

You forgot Sky Fighters!

Link

I bought that film just to enjoy aircraft footage, really they're very beautiful. :thumbup: The story is suck though.:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

While I am well aware the next aircraft will be some sort of us fixed wing ( money's on the F 18 ) , I have to say I myself love rotary and as we know they are very short on the ground sim wise. Yes it may not be the most exciting, but I would love to see DCS take on the poor utility helicopter. Yep sorry I know it's not attack, but would love to try going into hot lz's, medivac missions , hell even just doing normal ass and trash missions.I find I spend 97% of my time just loving the flight model, flying about, now and again I may attack something. I know it won't happen, as it's not the most interesting flying, But without it the modern battlefield wouldn't function.

Just finished reading chickenhawk and immediate response, both stunning books that show even utility helicopter flying can be very very dodgy.

If anyone can do justice to this sadly very very neglected side of military flying, it's DCS.

Although I do appreciate it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I have to say I myself love rotary and as we know they are very short on the ground sim wise. Yes it may not be the most exciting, but I would love to see DCS take on the poor utility helicopter. Yep sorry I know it's not attack, but would love to try going into hot lz's, medivac missions , hell even just doing normal ass and trash missions. But without it the modern battlefield wouldn't function.

Sure it'd be fun to fly a UH-60 for example. You just need a fitting environment. In ArmA2 it's a lot of fun to fly the Blackhawks and Chinooks. But only because you have a highly detailed ground war going on, with client-infantry soldiers boarding your helicopter or fast roping onto a buildings roof. So ArmA needs a better simulator or DCS needs way more detailed ground action.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't even care to speculate what the new DCS module will be, but what I'd love to find out is WHEN they'll raise the curtain. At what point are they going to let us know which aircraft it's going to be?? Not even a release date, but to know just so I can stop checking the forums EVERY DAY at work :doh:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Oh come on, even if you know what was coming out, you would still check the forums everyday at work ;) I know I would :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I don't even care to speculate what the new DCS module will be, but what I'd love to find out is WHEN they'll raise the curtain. At what point are they going to let us know which aircraft it's going to be?? Not even a release date, but to know just so I can stop checking the forums EVERY DAY at work :doh:

me too

While I am well aware the next aircraft will be some sort of us fixed wing ( money's on the F 18 ) , I have to say I myself love rotary and as we know they are very short on the ground sim wise. Yes it may not be the most exciting, but I would love to see DCS take on the poor utility helicopter. Yep sorry I know it's not attack, but would love to try going into hot lz's, medivac missions , hell even just doing normal ass and trash missions.I find I spend 97% of my time just loving the flight model, flying about, now and again I may attack something. I know it won't happen, as it's not the most interesting flying, But without it the modern battlefield wouldn't function.

Just finished reading chickenhawk and immediate response, both stunning books that show even utility helicopter flying can be very very dodgy.

If anyone can do justice to this sadly very very neglected side of military flying, it's DCS.

Although I do appreciate it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Cowboy10uk

That'd be nice as well. I'd love to fly some Blackhawk or Chinook!!! Even if they're not attack helo, they still pack lot of punch. :thumbup:

8-mh-60r-firing.jpg

ride.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Didn't know where else to put this,I was wondering what aircraft in DCS A-10 after the plane itself is the most rendered as in the best looking computer wise if ya get my drift.

I may be wrong but to me it's the F15C I think.

Will this have any bearing in what aircraft there thinking of next? :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.