FC2 FPS and stutter

viper3two

You know, whats even more strange I have noticed.....It seems that AA has no effect in this game no matter what I set it to in the NV control panel. I can set it to 2x or 16xQ and it looks the same....still jagged as ever. I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with it? Not sure, just wish I could figure it out.

Thanks again, still trying away.....

Have you tried maybe the SuperSampling method in AA?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First load all your apps that you have when you fly FC2.0 than go to your system manager and check real quick how many services that are running with your windows (?) than look at the load in Memory to see if you have enough Ram left..

Fly it like you stole it..

But please also write all the settings i asked ( it is much easier to understand what is going on that way !

In many occasions stutters are caused by application on teh background or textures loading

i have the same kind of micro stutter as asparagin and annoying tearing up / waving like a V-Sync off would cause which gets somehow reduced only by maxFPS=40-50 but not eliminated. I have found also that those two are related. The more the stutter the bigger the tearing up. (vsync from the radeon panel doesnt affect it). I wish ii could get read of this tearing up / screen waving somehow ....

I always had that with LO and FC1 and any card, either nvidia or ATI. I suspect that maybe all rigs maybe have it but most people dont pay attention, or realise it. FPS could be high but microstuttering would always be there when looking at the terrain from either cockpit or external plane camera especialy when on low level

quite often (but not all instances) that kind of micro stutter (looking at the terrain) is from mismatched FPS and LCD screen Hz.

Try setting MaxFPS to 60 and doing what you can with ingame settings to get the FPS up to 60

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

at last, i have just found that v-sync works with FC2 (stoping tearing-up / waving of screen) when i just UNCHECK full screen option in FC2 settings ..... So, reverting graphics.cfg to its original maxFPS=0 and just leave Radeon vsync forced on, tearing-ups / wavings dissapear and i get back the smooth and crisp feel of 50+ fps. Micro stutter still here although slightly improved in some viewing angles. i also noticed that for some reason i think things are smoother with russian birds ...(?)

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Jetace could post all your Nvidia settings ? and lets see from there.

Are you using Track IR ?

What is your resolution?

Settings in the SIm + Visibily range settins as well ?

Here they are :

VGA:

Anicotropic filtering = 8x

Antialiasing mode = override any apl. settings

Antialiasing setting = 8x

Antialiasing Transparency = Multisampling

Extension limit = off

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 4

Multi-GPU performance mode = nvidia recomended

Multi display/ mixed GPU acc = single display performance

Power managment mode = prefer maximum performance

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation = ON

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = clamp

Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation = on

Threaded optimization = on

Triple buffering = on

Vertical sync = off

in game settings :

Scr_10-04-17_15-28-32.thumb.png.b22364ac8f4464ce8353355ac2c5af4d.png

ModelLOD.txt settings

lod= { ...., 90000}

about graphics.cfg :

look here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=860000&postcount=2

Im not using TrackIR .

My VGA is not overclocked , only CPU - from 3gh to 3.7gh :thumbup:

Here they are :

VGA:

Anicotropic filtering = 8x

Antialiasing setting = 8x

Extension limit = off

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 4

Multi-GPU performance mode = nvidia recomended

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation = on

Triple buffering = on

Vertical sync = off

Anicotropic filtering = 4x

Antialiasing - Gamma Correction = Off

Antialiasing setting = 4x

Extension limit = off

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 2

Multi-GPU performance mode = nvidia recomended (?)

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation = Off (should be greyed out)

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation = Off (should be greyed out)

Triple buffering = on

Vertical sync = on

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

My AA and AF are enabled x8 like i said previously, maybe jagies are from Asus OSD capture program that i used for screenshots .

Don't think the screen capture program matter as most just dumps the frame buffer to disk so WYSIWYG. But why aren't you just pressing "Prt Sc" and use the built in screen capture? As said, looking at the pictures you posted they have no/very little anti aliasing enabled.

What u mean about nVidia profile to work ? If u have some ideas about tweaking and increasing Vga performance i ll be glad to take ur help.

If I understood theGozr post correctly nVidia profiles are not working when using SLI as you do, don't know if this is true or not since I have a GTX 260 myself.

To set up a profile under Manage 3D Settings in nVidia Control Panel make sure you point to "simulator.exe" in FC2 "...\bin\x86\stable" directory. Below you find the settings I use, still tweaking but this gives me nice scenery without jaggies and pretty OK performance (still have FPS/stuttering issues when flying low over cities but it could be other things than the GPU).

Anisotropic filtering      16x
Antialiasing - Gamma correction    On
Antialiasing - Mode      Override any application setting
Antialiasing - Setting      8x 
Antialiasing - Transperency     Off
Conformant texture clamp     Use hardware
Error reporting       Off
Extension limit       Off
Force mipmaps       None
Maximum pre-rendered frames     1
Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration   Single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization Off
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias   Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality     High quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization  Off
Threaded optimization      On
Tripple buffering      On
Vertical sync       Force on

Edit: Forgott to add that I also load D3D Overrider to enable Tripple buffering in DX.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

[color=black][b]Maximum pre-rendered frames:   1[/b][/color]

Why only 1 pre-rendered frame?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Try this...

-For SLI systems using 4x MS + 2x SLI SS ( SLIx8 ) is good

-Must use Split rendering SFR

-----------

CPU Multicore support = Multicore

Anicotropic filtering = 8x or x4

Antialiasing mode = override any apl. settings ( NOT Enhanced )

Antialiasing setting = 8x or x4

Antialiasing Transparency = OFF

Extension limit = OFF

Conformant texture clamp = Hardware

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1 or 2 going for "4" will reduce FPS

Multi-GPU performance mode = Nvidia recomended.. ok for non SLI

Multi display/ mixed GPU acc = single display performance/ Multi display may give you more punch for some reason.

Texture filtering - Quality = Performance ( or quality for strong systems with 1 GB + Vram video cards set at 1024 or set at 512 for lower Vram cards )

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation = ON

Force mip maps - Trilinear

Threaded optimization = ON

Triple buffering = ON

Vertical sync = ON

---------

Video cards that do not have 1 GB of memory use only 512 not 1024

Edited by theGozr

Try this...

-For SLI systems using 4x MS + 2x SLI SS ( SLIx8 ) is good

-Must use Split rendering SFR

-----------

CPU Multicore support = Multicore

Anicotropic filtering = 8x or x4

Antialiasing mode = override any apl. settings ( NOT Enhanced )

Antialiasing setting = 8x or x4

Antialiasing Transparency = OFF

Extension limit = OFF

Conformant texture clamp = Hardware

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1 or 2 going for "4" will reduce FPS

Multi-GPU performance mode = Nvidia recomended.. ok for non SLI

Multi display/ mixed GPU acc = single display performance/ Multi display may give you more punch for some reason.

Texture filtering - Quality = Performance ( or quality for strong systems with 1 GB + Vram video cards set at 1024 or set at 512 for lower Vram cards )

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation = ON

Force mip maps - Trilinear

Threaded optimization = ON

Triple buffering = ON

Vertical sync = ON

---------

Video cards that do not have 1 GB of memory use only 512 not 1024

ok, tuvm, ill try this :thumbup:

,but for now im satisfied with performance i already have

Jetace, Yes Vsynch synchronise with your refresh rate of your LCD or CRT to 60 in most lcd cases witch actually will make your screen very smooth when panning around no tearing ( Track ir panning ).. :)

but i dont have Track IR, cose im using single 19'' monitor

you can use track ir with 3, 2, 1 and even 0 monitors..

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the horrendous stuttering as well. I fly LOFC 1.12b stutter-free with all settings high averaging between 25-35 FPS running at 1280X1024. I have a Intel Quad-Core at 2.5 ghz with 1 gig of video ram. FC2 on low settings (game looks poor and lacks crispness of FC1.12b on these settings) has bad stuttering. Nothing I've read on this thread seems helpful as a fix. I'm just going to assume that all the added features are the problem. Like others have said, the FPS is not the problem...it is the stuttering.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I'm getting the horrendous stuttering as well. I fly LOFC 1.12b stutter-free with all settings high averaging between 25-35 FPS running at 1280X1024. I have a Intel Quad-Core at 2.5 ghz with 1 gig of video ram. FC2 on low settings (game looks poor and lacks crispness of FC1.12b on these settings) has bad stuttering. Nothing I've read on this thread seems helpful as a fix. I'm just going to assume that all the added features are the problem. Like others have said, the FPS is not the problem...it is the stuttering.

It would be great if you "tweakers" would release these changes in MODMAN form so folks don't have to manipulate lua's and .cfg's line by line.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

It would be great if you "tweakers" would release these changes in MODMAN form so folks don't have to manipulate lua's and .cfg's line by line.

I don't know if its possible to make a "one-fix-to-solve-all". Since stuttering some time occurs due to view distances it may need to make fine adjustments according to one's system and prefrences.

The basics is to tweak graphics.cfg. The settings may vary from rig to rig and from user to user. For example, I prefer mud-movers (Su-25, Su-25T) so I do care about the object visibility range while the F-15 pilot, who flies 15km above the ground most of the time chasing aircraft, doesn't care that much!

I'm getting the horrendous stuttering as well.

Try setting AA low. Run without "Fullscreen" enabled but at LCD native resolution. Enable Vsync in GPUs display properties.

Helped me with tearing @ stutter.

PS; isoul is right, its a matter of what you want to sacrifice.

Good luck .........Shad

Edited by ShadowVonChadwick

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Hi Viper,

It's very difficult to diagnose such issues. In many cases, the stutters may be related to specific OS or hardware settings and drivers.

Plagued by these Microstutters even with high FPS and sudden drops of 20-30 fps, i observed the CPU behavior and found out to my amazement that the cpu multiplier got into idle mode during flying (6 instead of 8).

I changed in my BIOS the multiplier from Auto to a fixed rate ( CPU aspect ratio) and after this the test mission Mig29 UAV was smooth with the same GFX settings.

It might be that this was just a glitch in my particular Firmware, but might help you too.

Still heavy FPS loos with overcast, altough i have the overcast mod installed. in fact, i didn t notice any difference. Was it the wrong folder??

Gamedir\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Bazar\Effects\OVERCAST

The first explosion of an Aircraft causes also a FPS drop. Is there any way to set the value to medium like in FC1 ?

cheers

Jaeger

• 3 weeks later...
You can use V-Sync in fullscreen too with D3DOoverider.exe. check link

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=52171&highlight=kankkis

Working fine with both games.

Vsynch_weird_liketripplebuff-1.png

Vsync summary and final conclusion regarding DCS/FC 2

I can say with 90% probability that DCS Black Shark uses special Vsync implementation (wait for Vsync ?) that allowes to bypass Vsync limitation re FPS being integer fractions of monitor refresh rate so you don't need any tools for forcing tripple buffering (like D3DOverrider).

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49651&page=2 read the whole topic to get a better idea

Why was Vsync needed?

Vsync has been eagerly discussed in the DCS forum section and the most important conclusion is presented on the fig above - D3DOverrider does diddle squat to DCS/FC2.

I dare to say that there is not much to be added to the discussion on DCS forum section. If you find some mistakes however please correct what's wrong by posting in appropriate topic containing misinformation.

Re general tweaking - this may be useful

th_3Dsettings_guide_dcs_black_shark-1.jpg

Anisotropic at 16x as a green setting is a little bit over the top, I admit. I will change it to 8x in the next revision.

Edited by Bucic

• 3 weeks later...

After days of testing I have found the soltion for stutters on my rig

I have changed the following line in the Graphics.cfg file

CloudAspectThreshold = 0.00;

This makes it realtime and has elimiminated the stutter and on my rig I do not see any FPS impact

Try it and see if it works for you.

Note on my machine which has windows 7 64bit there are two graphics configs. I needed to change the one in the following location (which is hidden by default)

C:\Users\JP\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Config\

and not the one in the normal C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Config\

Edited by jason_peters

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

thank you tring it out now.. :thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||