Spotting Targets ?

just a few things in regards to this thread:

trim: you need to trim constantly especially when not flying in a stable horizontal position. as your speed changes (normal when in a dive) the effect of your trim will also change. when attacking a target your speed should be at around 300kts so trim the plane slightly nose down for that speed.

spotting targets: as has been mentioned, paying attention to the briefing usually is a good start. memorize landmarks such as bridges, riverbends, roadbends, smaller cities etc. the diamond is only visible if the target is being lased and designed by a FAC. This helps a lot however more ofter you will have to rely on your MK1 eyeballs. fly with a buddy. 4 eyes see more than 2. dont rush into an attack make sure you have a good approach (distance, altitude, speed, angle, heading).

one more thing: try to always plan ahead so you know what your next move will be.

hope this helps a bit

cheers,

NotiA10

Noti has got it down thats for sure! Especially point #2. And Id say hes probably one of the most experienced A-10 pilot out there... i know that from observation on our servers over the years... :)

At the end of the day it always comes down to preparation before the flight. With FC2, the visibility exploits which were possible with FC1 are now closed, so you really gotta work the Shkval/Maverick displays... hell, sometimes you just have to rely on plain dumb luck to find a target!

So the best thing to do is:

- Know your target area by doing proper mission research, preparation, reading brief.

- Once approaching target area you should at least know where to look now, so get your weapons on target as quickly as possible, then GET the hell out of there!

I really dont think in RL the tactics many A2G pilots use in LOMAC will ever work... I always notice many bomber guys just circle around taking their time with the targets due to the "stupidity" of the AI...

Im afraid in RL you really don have that luxury as you would be toast after you are detected... One run is all you got really... just look at some videos of Su-25s in the recent Georgian conflict... they drop their WHOLE payload in just seconds, then punch full throttle and head home!

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Regarding your question about setting up trim on the X-52. I set up the trim on my POV 1 and it works fine. I think the trim on the real Su-25's is a hat on the stick.

I tried the rotaries as well and agree they are a bit touchy to get right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Thanks all for the precious suggestions.

But,if improved, i still dont get it properly, or let's say i'm still getting SAMS on the face.

I'm in trouble in the first mission :doh:

Now i managed to identify the area where the 3 targets tanks are located, but, to get there, i have some damn SAMS around that keep seeing me even from high altitudes.

• Should i follow strictly the Steering points routes and this will allow me to avoid them ?
  • There's a way to actually fly over or near SAMS without getting roasted ?

Kinda lost :|

Regarding your question about setting up trim on the X-52. I set up the trim on my POV 1 and it works fine. I think the trim on the real Su-25's is a hat on the stick.

I tried the rotaries as well and agree they are a bit touchy to get right.

Check this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=52055

In my opinion works better than the hat switch configuration.

I'm also having this problems.. I'm using labels now, because the little box that should appear around the targets are always at an object further away.. never on the main target or nearest.. :s

Im using Simulation mode but with labels enabled, with a labels mod that was created for DCS. Its far less intrusive than the default label clutter. Install is a simple file replacement.

Link- http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2656740/Searchpage/1/Main/279129/Words/labels/Search/true/Re_Less_gamey_labels.html#Post2656740

I'm in trouble in the first mission :doh:

Now i managed to identify the area where the 3 targets tanks are located, but, to get there, i have some damn SAMS around that keep seeing me even from high altitudes.

• Should i follow strictly the Steering points routes and this will allow me to avoid them ?

Kinda lost :|

Here's a possible scenario:

I took off, climbed to Angels 10 to avoid AAA/MANPAD's and followed the waypoints, all the while identifying possible threat parameters via the RWR and until cleared to engage by FAC, ie targets marked with yellow smoke. Vitally important to first Identify location of Smoke and as a consequence Targets.

Once your Situational Awareness is such that you have ID'd the targets/location, Break 180 degrees and extend. Turn back on Target Location, ID specific target vehicles and engage. 3 x Mav's and the Mission is complete with the Primary Goal completed. RTB.

On your first Ingress until the 180 degree break, you will be fairy certain that there are no immediate Air Defence Threats, thus leaving you free to engage the T72's. Height and Situational awareness is key.

Golden Rule: Never overfly the Hot-Zone (Target Area/FEBA). If no ID at first attempt, break off, extend and try again.

Hope it Helps :)

[ATTACH]37999[/ATTACH]

(Disregard funny views etc - Recorded without TrackIr)

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Here's a possible scenario:

I took off, climbed to Angels 10 to avoid AAA/MANPAD's and followed the waypoints, all the while identifying possible threat parameters via the RWR and until cleared to engage by FAC, ie targets marked with yellow smoke. Vitally important to first Identify location of Smoke and as a consequence Targets.

Once your Situational Awareness is such that you have ID'd the targets/location, Break 180 degrees and extend. Turn back on Target Location, ID specific target vehicles and engage. 3 x Mav's and the Mission is complete with the Primary Goal completed. RTB.

On your first Ingress until the 180 degree break, you will be fairy certain that there are no immediate Air Defence Threats, thus leaving you free to engage the T72's. Height and Situational awareness is key.

Golden Rule: Never overfly the Hot-Zone (Target Area/FEBA). If no ID at first attempt, break off, extend and try again.

Hope it Helps :)

[ATTACH]37999[/ATTACH]

(Disregard funny views etc - Recorded without TrackIr)

Man ! Thanks so mutch !

I Can't wait to go home and watch the track !

Any other pratical example .trk will be REALLY APPRECIATED !

I found the keys for that, but they don't work.. Any help?:pilotfly:

One thing that caught me out with changing targets and waypoints etc, was that, firstly the key has changed from FC1, and secondly, I think it's based on a US keyboard - on my keyboard it shows `, not tilde ~.

It was the same for some other commands such as the score board, which on my keyboard (UK) is the # key.

So make sure you take this into account, too.

JD

Any other pratical example .trk will be REALLY APPRECIATED !

No Bother M8 - Any problems/queries, just shout and you'll no doubt get plenty of assistance from us all :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

No Bother M8 - Any problems/queries, just shout and you'll no doubt get plenty of assistance from us all :)

Well watching at your track i found out that i was totaly misreading dinstances in the briefing and i was trying to attack something really far from the actual target. I saw the smoke alot of times passing over there, but i was absolutely sure it wasn't intended for me :doh:.

Did the mission just fine now, but again, i cannot find the 3 tube missile launcher target asked for the second mission. It's actually difficult for me to figure out the position because there are no particular environmental elements in the brief screenshot that can point me in the target spot. What i did until now is to scan the area trying to see something(with labels enabled), i killed 3 targets with mavs, but, they where not the right targets :doh:.

Maybe the labels are just confusing me ? .. :joystick:

... I have some damn SAMS around that keep seeing me even from high altitudes.

In real life the higher your altitude is the better "visibility" a SAM has on you! So, when you get in range, you can expect that the SAM will do its best to bring you down... and you have done its work easy!

I bet the key is observation! Be it a friendly FAC, RWR or your aircraft's camera you have to observe your target area and identify/prioritize any threats.

Apart from this there is some RL basics when engaging a SAM :

1) If you can score a kill at stand-off range you alway do that!

2) If you can't score a kill from a stand-off position than you have to utilize low flight/ground cover to keep the SAM from detecting you. Then you have to attack very fast in order to leave yourself vulnerable for as less as possible! Of course this requires you know the location of the SAM

3) In case you get ambushed, meaning there was a SAM that you haven't seen soon enough, you always go defensive, take evasive action, use CM, go low and run like a rat to the closest ground cover and PRAY!

Never overfly the target area cause, even if you won't get hit while you are in close range, once you pass above it you have your back turned to your enemy... and that makes you an easy prey!

You may want to watch this

so you can see yourself some pilots talking about tactics and how they approach SAM sites in SEAD missions.
Edited by isoul

I bet the key is observation! Be it a friendly FAC, RWR or

Thanks so mutch to take the time to spare so important suggestions.

I miss actually the meaning of these acronyms, FAC stands for Friendly aircraft ? How do i see if it's spotting something ?

RWR ?

Thanks

FAC = Forward Air Controller (Guy on the ground Lasing targets. Produces Target Diamond on HUD)

RWR= Radar Warning Reciever.

Nate

FAC: I see the diamond in the first and second mission of the campaign i'm flying, but it is not necessarily the target i need to complete the mission right ? He just spost threats ?

Well he doesn't exist really, the diamond is meant represent a FAC lasing a target, but in reality, these diamonds are set in the mission editor.

Usually, but not always, these will represent the targets to complete the mission. It depends on how the mission designer wants to simulate a FAC.

Edit:- it should be noted that threats, more often than not, will not be indicated in such a way, so keep your eye out for SAMs that aren't indicated.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

From my experience there are a couple of things to consider:

Step 1: Study the brief and then head to the mission planner. Identify landmarks and placement of the known units;

Step 2: Plan your approach. Take a look at the first part of this AAR for mission 3 (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=52571) and note how in the second map screenshot, I had moved waypoint 4 to visual approach to the target area. My plan was to use Nav mode to get me to waypoint 4, then to identify the river under that waypoint;

Step 3: Walk your eyes to the target area. Once I had the river I knew I could follow it until it turned east and there was a bridge near the turn. If you are having problems (like I did in later missions) pause the game and use the mouse look/Track IR system to zoom in and help walking your eyes to the target area.

Step 4: Once you have the target area, smoke should be visible or use the TV camera in the AGM-65 Maverick to take a look around. If you have to (don't get too close or overfly the target) do a 180, wait a few minutes, another 180 and repeat the approach. Take your time.

Step 5: Get lucky ;-)

With regard to SAMs, you are gonna face those at all altitudes. In Falcon 4 I think that you were not 'safe' up past 20,000+ feet. There are SAMs of all shapes and sizes, for all altitudes where the ground pounders feel threatened. In the case of the early missions I tended to stay below 3000 - as long as the SD was flashing it's search mode, use that as a warning. That will protect you from the high threat but don't go too low (under 2500 for some SAMs) that you are in the heart of their engagement zone.

That's the toughest really. I got pwned by an optical SA-9 because I was too low and too close to the launcher. On a repeat, 2500 was 'safe' as long as I was about 4nm away. :-)

Fridge

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

I'm clueless on target spotting, i'm almost always ending up destroyed before actually seeing anything.

I'm flying the first mission campaigns.

What i do is to look at the f10 map to check where the targes are located, but still can't find their positions with mavericks camera even from big distances and in 10 or 20 seconds i'm hit by some air defense missile.

Could you guys kindly spare some basic tips for a noob ? I've no problems flying, taking off and landing at all, but never properly played a modern air simulation. Just Blackshark, but it's all a different thing.

If you are not familiar with how important Vsync is when you observe fast moving terrain on your 3/9 o'clock you may want to read my posts on the subject found in the "Vsync needed" and "max fps not working" topics.

Thanks for the reply but I think you don't understand me. Here is a screenshot in Game mode. The game mode adds the red square around the target which you can change. I'm talking about the little green square! This one is also visible with game mode off.;) How can I cycle between targets with the green square?

Hi Mav I believe its a left over from lockOn and usually indicates primary target as specified during mission creation for the purpose setting mission fail/success parameters. After primary target destruction it would usually jump to next target as set in mission editor.

I have noticed in A10 campaign it always seems to be set on a BUK SAM site in the distance. Send your wing to "Mission & Rejoin" He goes after this Sam & is soon a smoking hole in the ground.

Shad

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

a couple of suggestions,

i always carry a rocket marker pod to help mysleve as soon as i see a ground target that will need a few rounds. specialy if it is moving in town.

i always carry a radar threat pod on my 25T to "see" shlika hidden

i always try to aproach ground target with sun in front of me, they are more obvious on shadow.

Last thing to solve is the "transparency" effect on targets in the 25T tv.

if we can decrease the effect, the targets will pop up naturally with the same opacity as the ground.