How do you play the game in terms of control?

I have been told before that having a sort of Hotas system doesnt matter much and that having to rely on the keyboard heavely doesnt bring any special disavantage.

I was thinking on how peaople counter their adversaries online and it stroke me how slow most of the people are to react to a threat online.

I supect those that get the most kills are the ones who have expedient and pratical ways of controllong their aricraft than the rest, so lets confirm this.

For online players say your justice:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I don't have a hotas set up - using a saitek cyborg evo. It has a throttle built into it, though.

I don't think having a hotas set up would really get you that many more kills, unless you're really clumsy and have to search around constantly for the right keys. Then again, I wouldn't call myself remotely close to being one of those 'l33t' pilots

A HOTAS will help you a lot espcially with throttle control as the keyboard isn't very responsive.

General control is also easier with a HOTAS as you need to use most of the keyboard i.e. you can't turn a corner control your speed engage an enemy and look around all at once with a keyboard, but you can with HOTAS.

oh bummer the poll options didnt come up, wait a tad...

EDIT: BUGGER! I had originaly posted 7 voting options, there was an error due to the length of each one, and I canceled this poll, at least so I though, I will post another poll sometime later.

Sorry all, but you can still leave your impression here.

My PC specs below:

Currently I own an old thrustmater afterburner with all its 8 buttons, 1 hat and, throthle, and twist/rudder handle.

I have completely sacrificed view commands on the stick and filled it with radar mode and aquisition controls. I found it too unpractical to use the keyboard franticaly while trying to lock someone up. for views Im relegated to keyboard, because I found out that rarely will I end up in a dogfight, and only half of those times I need to look around for an evasive oponent.

Unfortunaltly I wish both an new TFT screen and a X52, but cannot afford them simultaneously...since the current stick still works, I think Ill end up getting the monitor. :(

My PC specs below:

Without a HOTAS you are toast in knife fights. A TIR comes very much in handy then too. My gunzo kill rate has improved since I got a TIR

ASUS P4T533-C|P4 3.06@3.45|1024Mb Kingston 1066 rambus|ATI 9.... *EDITED* - Listen to Mods!!!

My setup:

TM Cougar

TrackIR 3 Pro

Rudder Pedals

Feeling and "nature" of flying is great... I would most certainly not be able to fly with anything less... on contrary, with time I plan to expand into Vector Expansion for TrackIR and one day probably even a home cockpit :cool:

No longer active in DCS...

• 1 month later...
x45 hotas, tir3pro, helps me alot, can't fly without 'em now.

i just got the x45 but looking forward to the trackir, its not that its gonna make u fly better.

Just decrease the workload on u becos on a hotas stick u can control your jet more efficiently, track ir will allow u to do so even more as u can use your head for a large portion off the tasks u'd normally do with your joystick,

allowing u to either just separate views and controls and or even increase what u can do with your joystick as ur used to that anyways and so become even more efficient........potentially.

Cause at the end off the day also depends how its being used and the skill and knowledge off that person.

i'd say whoever says hotas isnt important......is viewing that for the purposes fit for him, for me the x45 increased the game pleasure and my efficiency, and reckon trackir does even more in combination with a good stick, but comes down to how u want to experience the game and what u want to spend on it ;-)

I don't have a hotas set up - using a saitek cyborg evo. It has a throttle built into it, though.

I don't think having a hotas set up would really get you that many more kills, unless you're really clumsy and have to search around constantly for the right keys. Then again, I wouldn't call myself remotely close to being one of those 'l33t' pilots

HOTAS smhotas, who needs a HOTAS? I'll just press 2, i and then tab you and click my trigger.

before lomac I had no need for hotas, even in sims with far more buttons and clicking and complex launch procedures like falcon4 and janes f-18, I dunno maybe it's just the way american planes are designed :)

I can't play lockon without hotas but it's safe to say that whatever system you use, using it effectively makes you the better pilot.

HOTAS helps me out a lot, but it's all what works best for each person. I think the HOTAS adds to the sim experience and allowing you to have more control over the aircraft.

Cheers, JeTTs

OS: Window XP Pro V 2002 SP2 CPU: AMD 64 3500+ OC to 3800

RAM: 1.00 GB

Video: GeForce 6800 GT

HD: 2 -200 GB

Monitor: Dual 21” Monitors

Sound: Audigy 2

Flight Setup: ChPro USB Stick / Throttle / Rudder / TrackIR 3 Pro

stick: sidewinder force feedback 2

throttle: modified sidewinder precision pro with stick mounted horizontally, additional hat switch and buttons, and grooves on throttle for different power settings

The thing I find about Lockon that's a pain to setup, but a serious life saver, is the different button mappings for different modes. If you have a hotas and you don't use different maps (ie one for nav mode, one for bvr), you should consider it.

Also, on my throttle, I have 2 trigger buttons, but one trigger is mapped to shift while the other is mapped to ctrl. So, I can triple the amount of functions I have on my throttle just by this mapping.

Also, for those who have old joysticks kicking around, try converting them into throttles. Doesn't have to be pretty, just has to work and be strong. I had some good fun making mine, ripping it apart to improve it, or adding new buttons. I now call it the black beast lol

sig36aa.jpg

whoah...this is an old thread...it got resurrected?

Anyway I still have the same setup as I described in the first post however, since then I have though up of something:

I never actualy seen anyone use track IR, infact I never seen one on sale here either. According to what you guys commented its basicaly a dot on a sort of head hold with a camera in front of you wich detects and translates that movment to screen view rotation.

So I guess people have to turn the head away from the screen and twist the eyes in order to keep looking at it. Its a tad strange at first.

Sooo, why not use the feet instead? use a calibrated foot holder where you can rest the foot for straight forward view and move it to swivel your virtual pilots head.

Anyone tried it?

My PC specs below:

whoah...this is an old thread...it got resurrected?

Anyway I still have the same setup as I described in the first post however, since then I have though up of something:

I never actualy seen anyone use track IR, infact I never seen one on sale here either. According to what you guys commented its basicaly a dot on a sort of head hold with a camera in front of you wich detects and translates that movment to screen view rotation.

So I guess people have to turn the head away from the screen and twist the eyes in order to keep looking at it. Its a tad strange at first.

Sooo, why not use the feet instead? use a calibrated foot holder where you can rest the foot for straight forward view and move it to swivel your virtual pilots head.

Anyone tried it?

You don't need to move your head that far with TrackIR. Look about one foot to the side of your monitor. That's how far you need to move your head to see all the way to one side in the cockpit. I'm blind in my right eye, which means when I turn my head left I can only see out my left eye. I still have no problem using TrackIR. It's not a 1-1 ratio on head movement.

Buzz

I believe there are tracks in the game that demo TrackIR or go to http://naturalpoint.com/trackir/ and check it out. Theres nothing natural about using your feet to look around, plus my feet are on the rudder pedals. TrackIR does take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.

Cheers, JeTTs

OS: Window XP Pro V 2002 SP2 CPU: AMD 64 3500+ OC to 3800

RAM: 1.00 GB

Video: GeForce 6800 GT

HD: 2 -200 GB

Monitor: Dual 21” Monitors

Sound: Audigy 2

Flight Setup: ChPro USB Stick / Throttle / Rudder / TrackIR 3 Pro

whoah...

Anyone tried it?

Yes I have,and I won`t go back. :D

I bought Track IR 3 Pro a couple of months ago because most of my squad mates seemed to use it. It`s basicly an infrared device you put on top of the monitor that tracks your head movements.You can either use a "dot" on your forehead,glasses(if you use them) or your boom mike.I bought a hat with the reflective spot on it from them that you also use if you use the "vector" expansion.Vector is a advanced mode that gives you more modes,like zooming in or out ++.

Like you said,it was a bit strange to use in the beginning,but after some flights it becomes quite normal.You use small head movements.You can`t imagine the big difference compared to using keyboard or hat switch.Certainly more immersion to the sim.I have the Vector expansion as well,but I disabled it in Lockon.I don`t think Lockon is programmed for it yet.

I ordered mine from http://www.edimensional.com/ .

Great service. You can read all about the stuff on this site if you`re interested.Also check out Naturalpoint. They visit this forum and will give you more info if needed.

I recommend TIR to all simmers. :D

Yes I have,and I won`t go back. :D

I bought Track IR 3 Pro a couple of months ago because most of my squad mates seemed to use it. It`s basicly an infrared device you put on top of the monitor that tracks your head movements.You can either use a "dot" on your forehead,glasses(if you use them) or your boom mike.I bought a hat with the reflective spot on it from them that you also use if you use the "vector" expansion.Vector is a advanced mode that gives you more modes,like zooming in or out ++.

Like you said,it was a bit strange to use in the beginning,but after some flights it becomes quite normal.You use small head movements.You can`t imagine the big difference compared to using keyboard or hat switch.Certainly more immersion to the sim.I have the Vector expansion as well,but I disabled it in Lockon.I don`t think Lockon is programmed for it yet.

I ordered mine from http://www.edimensional.com/ .

Great service. You can read all about the stuff on this site if you`re interested.Also check out Naturalpoint. They visit this forum and will give you more info if needed.

I recommend TIR to all simmers. :D

You put the dot on your feet?

Buzz

yeah he didnt read the text carefuly! icon10.gif

My PC specs below: