Am I the only one.....

Just d/loaded and installed black shark and blimey, how heavy is it!!!

I play FSX and cope with that, but when I did the 'how to start' the KA50 tutorial, I lost it after a few switches :joystick:

I went through some of the others, got to the combat part, managed to shoot the cannon and rockets, but struggled loads on the guided missiles.

I know I've only been playing for a few hours, but is there any tips to help get into it?

I even struggle flying, the 'trimmer' and auto pilot I dont get, lol.

I cheat and use the 'auto start' to get going, dunno how I will ever remember the start sequence :huh:

So much to learn!!!:helpsmilie:

• Like 1

i remember moving from the Bell 206 in FSX to the shark and feeling like a duck out of water. The first thing that you will notice is just how "tonka" like the experience was with FSX.

Keep at it and really het to grips with it. I still have FSX on my system - but i havent run it in a year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

If you've seen any startup tutorial... you've seen nothing compared to the Leading Edge Training video available in the official Download section at http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

:shocking:

More about it here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42223

I cant remember who did it - but i once saw a brilliant vid by a guy who took the aircraft up fo about 1000 meters - and did a shutoff and restart as he was falling.

Brilliant.

Best way to do it - learn or die!

On a serious not - wags tutorials (producers notes are still on my harddrive and i still refer to them, got me going and flying like a pro in no time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cant remember who did it - but i once saw a brilliant vid by a guy who took the aircraft up fo about 1000 meters - and did a shutoff and restart as he was falling.

Brilliant.

Best way to do it - learn or die!

Thank you for the high praise.

Rodders, once you master basic flight, you may want to take a look at my own series of tutorial videos. I never got to combat, but I covered the autopilot system, how to hover, and the countermeasures systems. I also did the video that Tailsman is referring to, which is a method to learn the start up routine. All of the videos that I have done are in this thread. I also made an emergency landing "tutorial" for laughs.

I do love your vids Waldo. "Hmm - what dont we need - Autopilot, lets turn that shit off, we are real men"

As a serious note though - i have been through probably a dozen or so vids on the Counter Measures setup - Waldo made the only Video tutorial i ever understood on the subject. So well done mate.

Edited by talisman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After several startup's you will understand the logic of the sequence and it will no longer be a list of blind actions, but a sequence of things you do with a purpose and you won't need the checklist anymore.

About mastering it, after many hours you'll began to fill comfortable and think "this was so strange at the beginning, but now I get it". After some hours more you'll think "I thought that I was mastering it then but now is when I master this". AND after several more hours the feeling repeats... and so on.

It's similar to learn to play an musical instrument.

I think i've sorted the start up now :D

Jsut learning the navigation and autopilot stuff and blowing things up, which im struggling with, lol.

still, im getting there!

Atleast I can kinda fly smoothly now too, which helps!

After several startup's you will understand the logic of the sequence and it will no longer be a list of blind actions, but a sequence of things you do with a purpose and you won't need the checklist anymore.

About mastering it, after many hours you'll began to fill comfortable and think "this was so strange at the beginning, but now I get it". After some hours more you'll think "I thought that I was mastering it then but now is when I master this". AND after several more hours the feeling repeats... and so on.

It's similar to learn to play an musical instrument.

Very true!

I even struggle flying, the 'trimmer' and auto pilot I dont get, lol.

Me to:D

It's crucial tu use exact autopilot helpers and trim often. I'm using joystick with rudder twist and I thing this can be part of the troubles. Next fly I'll disable a rudder axis and map it to some keys. I wonder will it improve stability.

One note, rodders, that I feel is very very important:

Don't rush into weapon deployment. I know it's a combat sim and killing stuff is what gets you in, but just hold off on it. Consider it similar to highly religious girlfriend: you're keeping the good stuff for when you've got the basics of the relationship down to perfection. To illustrate the point I'll give you a few short facts from my own IRL flight training:

1: My first flight was aileron-only. My instructor did everything else (dual-control bird) until he felt I had the touch he wanted. We then proceeded to our first landing pattern, with me handling elevator-only (for speed/AoA mainly).

2: Second flight had me with full stick control but no rudder throughout. My instructor basically followed my movements and applied rudder as required - my job in that flight wasn't to do coordinated flight, it was to learn what the stick does.

3: Third flight had me at full control authority, but still with instructor able to intervene. Only at this time did I actually maneuver the aircraft (after a long briefing of various expected and possible unexpected aircraft behaviours) on my own power, so to speak.

Basically, what I'm saying is: don't rush. FSX is a nice simulator, but it's FM fidelity is not even close to DCS:BS for helos, and it's systems fidelity is even farther away. This means you need to get closer to how real pilots do it when learning the simulator, and that basically means to isolate tasks and do them one at a time. If you don't have the trimmer as a reasonalby second-nature item I would suggest to immediately halt all work on weapon employment (excepting the odd tour for pure amusement). Reason is that trying to learn too many things at the same time will cause you to learn none of them - just get each step down until it is second-nature.

As an FSX user you should have an easier time than many with this: just open the mission editor and create a mission with only your chopper, and then fly around enjoying the sights while trying to find issues in handling where you lose control. When you lose control - try to make that happen again, and explore the regime to see what actually happened.

Oh, and read up on Rotor Vortex Ring State. Knowledge about that saves lives. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

honestly the best thing you can do is take the advice you have been given...but don't give up. i am pretty sure that everyone here at some point felt there is no way they could learn to start the damn thing...much less fly it...until one day you realize you can manually start it faster than the auto start.

honestly...i bought and have played FC2...but after finally getting good with BS...everything else feels a lot less rewarding. i cant wait for A10.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do love your vids Waldo. "Hmm - what dont we need - Autopilot, lets turn that shit off, we are real men"

epic.:thumbup:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

honestly...i bought and have played FC2...but after finally getting good with BS...everything else feels a lot less rewarding. i cant wait for A10.

You said it. I cant stand playing FC2 now. It is better than LOFC but it just seams to be missing somthing. clickable PIT, full 6DOF, need's More US aircraft.

And +1 on the A-10C

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

trimmer is good now and start up. Not been blowing anything up as trying to do one things at a time. Got the chaffs sorted, so atleast I can try and survive, lol.

Watched the Leading Edge vido n the start up, 1hour long, didnt relise it was only about starting, lol. Still, it covers everything, so starting is becoming a lot easier now.

Still need to learn the Abris before going weapons I think.

Glad I didnt join the RAF, think my brain would explode!

Edit - how do you make a map with a heli you can fly, I can put comp controlled ones on, but I cant fly them?

Edited by rodders

Edit - how do you make a map with a heli you can fly, I can put comp controlled ones on, but I cant fly them?

You add a Ka-50 and in the "SKILL" drop-down you choose "Player"

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

You dont need to learn the adrius to use weapons. I would learn the weapons pannels first. Center of dash under the schval and the left weapons pannel under the raido pannel just above the fuel cutoff levers. That is usaly the next step after learning how to transfer from flight to a hover and navagation.

1. start up
  2. Fly
  3. hover
  4. emerngcy procedures
  5. nav
  6. weapons
  7. data link
  8. adrius

This is the basic layout for training my new guys. The first 3 take the longest. and the abrius is the hardes to learn due to the multy levels of pages and programing to learn. And not all is nesacery to learn. Just the moving map and basic systems will get you to having lots of fun.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

cheers, I looked at that bit, but never opened the drop down, rodney you plonker!!

I've also ordered some rudder peadals, which I will pick up tomorrow as the X52 joystick twist isnt very good.

I ordered a TrackIR too, but the distributor has said the senders are faulty, so have to wait till the weekend for a new one to be sent :(