DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Isn't holding her in the 3-point attitude aerodynamic braking?

No - aero is on two wheels.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I hold her in aero til 90 knots, then drop it. I still have to hit the breaks quite a bit near the end at times. Landing speed at about 120 or less knots. Then again, there are some short ass runways in Georgia...

Yep! The two landing strips in Kutaisi are... hmm, challenging

:music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No - aero is on two wheels.

"Three-point" refers to a nose-high attitude; it's a holdover from the days when all aircraft were of taildragger configuration. With a tricycle airplane, this means that it won't literally have three points of contact with the ground while in the three-point landing position. As used today, the term is really quite a misnomer, because it's defined by the wing's AoA and not the actual number of wheels on the ground. So, a three-point landing in an A-10 won't have the airplane touching down on all three wheels at once (you should never land a tricycle aircraft in this manner--it's dangerous because of the stress it puts on the nosewheel), but rather on the mains with the nosewheel well above the runway.

So, as generally used by pilots today, a "three-point landing" is a landing which would have resulted in all three wheels touching down at once if the aircraft had a tailwheel instead of a nosewheel. With that in mind, my earlier question, "Isn't holding her in the 3-point attitude aerodynamic braking," translates to more literal speech as: "Isn't holding her on two wheels, with the nose high, aerodynamic braking?" Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Echo38

Does it require weight on all three wheels, or just the mains? From what you say, I gather it must be all three. In that case, and if the main wheels are on the ground, is it more effective to bleed speed by holding the nose up for aerodynamic braking, or by forcing the nosewheel down so that the spoilers can be fully deployed?

ok, already explained by the pros :D

Anyway, I had my doubts about the effectiveness, also. Just try it, good airport is Batumi. touchdown at about 110 -125kts, get the nose down and hit airbrakes again. After some trial and error you will regularly be below 70kts before the 2nd last taxiway. With a gentle braking to get the last exit. Depends on loadout as well of course, but you should try not to stomp on the brakes immediately after touchdown...ok, if you go for the Kutaisi city landing strip, though...it's a different story...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

"Three-point" refers to a nose-high attitude; it's a holdover from the days when all aircraft were of taildragger configuration.

I don't know squat about taildraggers but in tricycle-gear jets, a 3-point attitude means all three gear in contact with the runway.

From the A-10 Dash-1:

"
Maximum Performance Braking.

If maximum braking is required during an abort or after

touchdown, minimum stopping distance can be achieved in

a three-point attitude, throttles idle, speedbrakes 100%, and

wheel brakes applied with a firm continuous force sufficient to

feel anti-skid cycling."

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

Huh. Looks like there's some, uh, variation on the term as used by real pilots. My instructor, and various other pilots I've known, called a nose-high near-stall landing "a three-point landing" even in a tricycle. Going with the literal definition, a three-point landing should never be done in a tricycle airplane, which is strange, because generally a three-point landing is still considered the right way to do it, even though few aircraft are taildragger now.

I'm not talking about a three-point landing, which is never, ever done intentionally in a jet/tricycle airplane. I'm talking about lowering the nosewheel after landing to achieve a three-point attitude which, regardless of what kind of airplane is in question, means all three gear on the ground.

Like with most transport aircraft, the quickest way to get the A-10 stopped is to transfer as much weight to the wheels as possible, so that the brakes are more effective. Keeping the nose up in aerobrake fashion makes the airplane lighter on the wheels, thus the brakes are less effective.

Edit:

Here's a video that I took a few years ago that shows what was almost a nose first landing in a CRJ. If the Captain hadn't intervened, the FO probably would have folded up the nose gear.

Edited by BlueRidgeDx

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

stall speeds at different altitudes under nominal loads chart for A-10C like P-51D???

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

What is this "Reputation power" in our stats?

the more reps you get, the higher your own reputation power. Every 5(?) reps your power increases by one point. It's to balance the rep system, I guess.

Since most here are quite mature I think the rep stats are a nice to have, rather than a crucial validation of the community members 'ranking' in online society soooo common today with generation facebook (...' I have 1,248 friends, I'm so cool!') :megalol:

Shagrat

a three-point landing [...] is never, ever done intentionally in a jet/tricycle airplane.

Oh, you'll never hear me suggest that a three-wheels-at-once landing in a tricycle-gear airplane is anything but bad! Back when I was renting a 152, it was made clear to me that a nosewheel landing would result in a $50 fine (which would go toward the inspection/repair of the damaged nosewheel). I never meant to imply any disagreement with the fact that a level-attitude landing is very bad for the nosewheel. Bad communication in my last post; what I meant to say was that, if we're using the literal definition of "three-point landing," then, with a tricycle airplane, it's used for a bad landing rather than for a good landing. This is odd to me, because I usually hear pilots speak approvingly of three-point landings. Of course, they mean a good landing in a nose-high attitude, which'll only be a literal 3-point if it's a taildragger. Confusing term, because different pilots use it differently. My guess is that it's mostly the taildragger pilots who carry it over to trikes (to mean a nose-high landing, as a "real" 3-pointer is with a taildragger).

Edited by Echo38

No worries, Echo.

Still, I don't think the term is ambiguous at all...regardless of whether you're in a taildragger or a tricycle, "3-point" means having all three wheels on the ground - regardless of the attitude required to achieve that condition.

I understand that for taildragger types, discussing a 3-point landing will involve a lot of talk about pitch attitude. But linking the pitch attitude required in a taildragger to the broader definition of the term is incorrect.

Like any jet, the A-10 is landed in normal "flared" fashion on the mains first - a "2-point attitude". Then the nose is lowered to the runway - a "3-point attitude".

If you're more comfortable thinking about it in taildragger terms, a wheel landing is performed on the mains first - a "2-point attitude". Then the tail is lowered to the runway - a "3-point attitude". The concept is identical.

The only confusion seems to stem from the fact that taildraggers are sometimes landed in a full-stall condition that requires all three wheels touching down at exactly the same time; skipping the 2-point attitude. It is in this context that the 3-point landing comes up.

As you can see, the 3-point landing is a special case, and does not affect the definition

So to recap:

3-point landing in a taildragger: Good (usually).

3-point landing in a tricycle/jet: Bad (always).

3-point attitude in a taildragger: 3 wheels on the ground (results in a nose-high attitude)

3-point attitude in a tricycle/jet: 3 wheels on the ground (results in a generally level attitude.

Hey, I've got a question about tracks: how can I enable external cameras and padlock while watching a track which was recorded with external cameras off? When I fly, I use maximum realism settings, and so I've got external views et al. off, but when I watch tracks and make movies, I want to fiddle with external cameras and stuff. Currently, I've wrestled with the program for hours, scoured the G.U.I. manual, experimented with various keyboard controls, etc., but I can't find any way to use external cameras on these tracks of mine. Are they permanently locked out for those tracks?

Hey, I've got a question about tracks: how can I enable external cameras and padlock while watching a track which was recorded with external cameras off? When I fly, I use maximum realism settings, and so I've got external views et al. off, but when I watch tracks and make movies, I want to fiddle with external cameras and stuff. Currently, I've wrestled with the program for hours, scoured the G.U.I. manual, experimented with various keyboard controls, etc., but I can't find any way to use external cameras on these tracks of mine. Are they permanently locked out for those tracks?

Navigate to your track file and open with WinRAR. Locate the options file and open with Notepad++ as per screenshot:

yOVfN.png

Find line 21 and change value of external views from 'false' to 'true'. Close Notepad++, save when prompted and also update file in archive.

Exit, run track and you should have externals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is something I've been meaning to ask for months but keep forgetting.

If I land with my RIGHT wing missing, repair, and am set to go, the speed indicator still acts as if my tube from the right wing is still missing, hence 50 knots indicated on the HUD after the repair for ever... (or until you get a new plane)

Do I need to reset something, or is this currently a bug?

EX: in this video, in the beginning my wingman clipped my right wing right off, landed, repaired, and then at 0:52 is immediate flight after repair, and you can see on the HUD 50 knots, and the manual speed indicator is also at 0. Warn horn going off every time the throttle is set below 50%...

Edited by ralfidude

Question about DTS elevation and SADL'ed targets...

OK, numerous time wanted to ask..

If my flight plan auto-shuffles (AUTO), and JTAC sends a flasher my SADL, and I WILCO,TMS FWD LONG, and Slew TGP to it. Is the target elevation stored in relation to current waypoint? or is it a SOI DTS elevation until unlocked (TMS AFT LONG)

For example, my current STPT is FENCE, and I get the target locked as I go through from FENCE to INGRESS. Is the elevation changed? Do I have to make a markpoint (MRK A) and edit the elevation per MSG then shove it to the current plan, disable AUTO SHUFFLE, and SELECT ROCKER TO MRK A?? Or just locking a TAD SADL flasher and slewing all sensors to it make it DTS elevation correct? Is DTS and MSG and SOI inter-related?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

If I edit my A-10 "skins" as in adding graphics or a new paint scheme will others be able to see it in multiplayer?

No, unless they also have the skin installed.

Why is the project list of future aircraft a secret for DCS?

To avoid the inevitable tantrums of truly epic proportions when plans are forced to change.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I land with my RIGHT wing missing, repair, and am set to go, the speed indicator still acts as if my tube from the right wing is still missing, hence 50 knots indicated on the HUD after the repair for ever... (or until you get a new plane)

Do I need to reset something, or is this currently a bug?

It's a known issue where certain failures are either not repaired, or occur again after being repaired.