do post, real, in-cockpit videos here

leafer

Growler Carrier Qual

Long time lurker, not a whole lot of posts. Anyway, here goes. I figured you guys would enjoy a little snapshot of carrier ops. Sorry, no sweet music or anything, but some decent visuals. This was taken during a "carrier qualification" period in the EA-18G Growler, so you'll see me taxiing right from a trap to a catapult...not standard cyclic ops on the boat. Anyway, enjoy!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time lurker, not a whole lot of posts. Anyway, here goes. I figured you guys would enjoy a little snapshot of carrier ops. Sorry, no sweet music or anything, but some decent visuals. This was taken during a "carrier qualification" period in the EA-18G Growler, so you'll see me taxiing right from a trap to a catapult...not standard cyclic ops on the boat. Anyway, enjoy!

The video is private you big tease ;)

Welcome anyway, no music is not a bad thing, it is always much better to listen to the raw sounds imo. :thumbup:

Also, here is a pretty cool way of posting youtube videos s that they appear as a thumbnail for all to see.

Here's how to embed a youtube video in the forums... (Thank you for the pic, Bucic!)

edforums_postingyoutube_bucic.png

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Ok, the video should be fixed...and with a thumbnail (thanks Python). Home Fries, yes, I'm out of Whidbey Island.

That was one of the coolest videos I've seen in a long time, thanks for posting it. It made me feel a little jittery seeing how close to the edge of the deck you were directed to go! All in a day's work I guess. :thumbup:

I often fly over/past/through the Whidbey area as one of those little civilian planes as we buzz our way from Seattle on cross country training flights. I'll wave next time I go past. :P

That was one of the coolest videos I've seen in a long time, thanks for posting it. It made me feel a little jittery seeing how close to the edge of the deck you were directed to go! All in a day's work I guess. :thumbup:

I often fly over/past/through the Whidbey area as one of those little civilian planes as we buzz our way from Seattle on cross country training flights. I'll wave next time I go past. :P

NoJoe, glad you enjoyed it. I hate it when the taxi directors get us over the edge like that. It's one thing during the day, but at night, it's...sporty. There's A LOT of trust in those 18 year old kids taxiing us around literally inches from the deck edge and other jets! :eek:

Ok, the video should be fixed...and with a thumbnail (thanks Python). Home Fries, yes, I'm out of Whidbey Island.

Now THAT is awesome! I have the utmost respect for you Navy flyboys who do what you do on those carriers. I remember reading that during Vietnam the pilots heart rate was actually faster when coming in for landing on the carrier than when engaging in combat with the North Vietnamese. That must be saying something in regards to just how difficult that is and how much skill and concentration is required to perform such a feat. And you guys do it day in and day out. Amazing.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing with us!

NoJoe, glad you enjoyed it. I hate it when the taxi directors get us over the edge like that. It's one thing during the day, but at night, it's...sporty. There's A LOT of trust in those 18 year old kids taxiing us around literally inches from the deck edge and other jets! :eek:

That was quite a thrill, thanks for sharing that with us!

Kind of glad to know that this close-to-take-a-swim edge approach made you uncomfortable. While watching I was all "crapcrapcrapcrapstopdammitSTOP", while the rational side of me kept asserting that it was surely perfectly normal and all under control.

F-15 Flight in Cope Thunder 1985

Very good video.

Some interesting things:

1.Having chaff stored in the speedbrakes made it a little tricky to join formation at 2 minutes into video.

2.Turning the camera off because they were about to employ a classified system, at 3 minutes 50 seconds into video. What do you think it was?

3. Use of hand signals to change frequencies etc.

4.Lots of high G.

• Like 1

That was a good vid! Love the little text narrative. Why did he store chaff in the speed brake button?

I seem to remember that the Harriers during the Falklands war used to stuff chaff into there speedbrake recess as well. Open the speed brakes and out comes the chaff.

Cloud Surfing

Here's another one, it's from a few years ago. We were deployed to Al Asad Airbase, Iraq. There were clouds, and our tactical mission got canceled, so what else is there to do other than some cloud surfing? Well, there was some of that in addition to practicing some "ditch" maneuvers (something very difficult to do with a heavy load out). This was the very first video I edited, so I apologize for the terrible editing and general boringness. It gets a bit repetitive too. Anyway, enjoy.

Edited by NavalAV8TR
Spelling
  • Like 1

My flight in an Extra 300:

:pilotfly:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 weeks later...

PoAF Go pro

vRqbOvcmnO8

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Here's another one, it's from a few years ago. We were deployed to Al Asad Airbase, Iraq. There were clouds, and our tactical mission got canceled, so what else is there to do other than some cloud surfing? Well, there was some of that in addition to practicing some "ditch" maneuvers (something very difficult to do with a heavy load out). This was the very first video I edited, so I apologize for the terrible editing and general boringness. It gets a bit repetitive too. Anyway, enjoy.

I really enjoy your videos NavalAV8TR. Keep em coming!

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Awesome vid. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|