Central/Northern California

SilentEagle

As always, very nice work SE & Blaze! :thumbup:

Any shots of what the mesh looks like down low compared to high?

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Really not bad, just some stuttering when loading the huge ground textures. But, this is still before land LOD's are made, so a lot of optimization is still needed, especially considering the size of textures we're using at the moment.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

WOW

Incredible what you achieved with these textures,im looking forward to this mod.

thumbs up

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Damn that mesh is nice! I'd much rather have something like that than this, for example...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3CFA%3EJaws/ScreenShot_034.jpg

... or this...

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/157921ScreenShot012HDR.jpg

... in combination with such a crude elevation model:

http://www.berkuts.ru/files/screenshots/vat-br-vfat2010/vat-br-vfat2010-64.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like a smooth, faithful aircraft model as much as the next guy (in fact, I think it is an important part of why ED's sims have always looked better than the competition), but you can overshoot the target, you know. Sure, make curved surfaces as rounded as possible - arguably even rendering the gun muzzle in 3D is still reasonable - but those air vents are most definitely overkill. Same with the cockpit details, I understand that having a nice pilot model and perfectly round canopy frames is great for immersion, but that HUD camera (with wiring!) and the panel details around it are just pointless. How much time are you going to spend looking at your aircraft (let alone enemy aircraft) that closely? On the other hand, you'll be looking at the terrain mesh pretty much all the time, particularly in a sim like Black Shark or A-10 which place a lot of emphasis on low to medium altitude operations. Yet the terrain model has pretty much stayed the same since LOMAC while aircraft polycount has multiplied - IMHO the level of detail seen in the Hornet model (maybe slightly higher, but not much) is practically as good as it ever needs to be.

(Sorry about plagiarising other people's screenshots for brevity)

Looks excellent. Do you know if there is high resolution data (10m) available for other world regions?

Damn that mesh is nice!

I'm not sure. What i do know is that I think I was wrong. Looking at my source files, it appears I have 1 arc second (30m) resolution ground mesh. The textures make the ground mesh look MUCH higher detail than it really is. In any case, it still looks presentable.

As always, very nice work SE & Blaze! :thumbup:

Any shots of what the mesh looks like down low compared to high?

Some of those shots were taken at only a couple thousand feet, so not too high altitude, but here's a shot: (Remember, this is WIP and photorealistic scenery will always look blurry at ground level)

screenshot176r.jpg

What's the frame rate hit like?

Well, as Blaze said, there is no LODs built in, so my game can only load 6 tiles (9600 sq km) or 24% of the map before it freaks out and crashes on me. In reality, you would never load that many terrain texture tiles in high detail. None the less, it still requires long loading times and occasional freezes (but high fps) at the current state. We'll do an evaluation once LODs are added as to whether the top texture resolution must be cut in half to allow smooth gameplay. If not, then of course I'll still offer different texture sizes for individual choice.

I'm finding lots of color differences between imagery shots as I go further south. That will take a lot of work to get all tiles looking the same, if even possible.

and for good measure:

East of SF

screenshot177z.jpg

Golden Gate

screenshot178y.jpg

screenshot180oc.jpg

Edited by SilentEagle
  • Like 1

Wow, that looks awesome! Great work so far - keep us updated!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |

Looks excellent. Do you know if there is high resolution data (10m) available for other world regions?

Yes, example Poland :>

http://www.zumi.pl/,,Szukaj,17.9420777,50.6809158,2,1b,namapie.html?p=2&lb_x=17.9408237&lb_y=50.6805478&rt_x=17.943331699999998&rt_y=50.6812838&p=1&ByMap=1

If I had better PC I would try to make part of my area. I think textures are nice detailed.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

The project is only a little over a week old. It will be many months for completion of land alone, not counting airports, objects, etc.

The southern half of the map has now been tested in game:

San Francisco

screenshot000sp.jpg

San Jose

screenshot001lv.jpg

screenshot002gh.jpg

East of San Jose

screenshot003mk.jpg

Northeast of San Jose

screenshot004sy.jpg

Looks awsome! :thumbup:

Are you doing this terrain mainly for DCS or also for FC2? :music_whistling:

Well there are no tools for DCS A-10C, so this current map would work in DCS BS or FC2.

I changed the ground texture resolution from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048 and the result is similar while gaining the ability to load the whole map without LODs. I'm currently having an issue getting LODs to export to the lsa2 file, but once that is completed, performance should be very acceptable, at least for now. Thinking about the possibility of extending the map further south and east.

screenshot005xg.jpg

• Like 1

with this new teqnuqie for making terrain, why havent Eagle Dynamics ade some photoreal ground textures and new mesh for DCS / FC2 already ? Looks great Silent Eagle ;)

Intel Core i7-8700 3,20GHz - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 - 32Gb Ram - DCS on 500 GB SSD - Windows 10 - Thrusmaster Warthog - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - Track Ir 5 - Samsung Odyssey+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.virtualredarrows.com