So what's missing?

Conure

Hello everyone. I have been making a lot of threads lately so if I'm going too far please let me know!!

Anyway, I understand we have the A10-c and KA-50 modelled to an extremely high level of realism, but that some top secret features are missing ( I just read this on wiki, perhaps it's wrong)...Now I understand the irony of this question "because it's top secret", but are there any aviation enthusiasts that have some idea of what might be missing? the type of stuff which has been on the drawing board and probably (but isn't confirmed) to exist?

Feel free to speak about any other cool stuff that's currently in R & D etc, I love to hear about new technologies.. (I'm a geek :) )

Thanks!

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

From what I've read its mostly the IFF and Radar Jamming systems and settings. There are probably others, but off the top of my head those two come to mind.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Well it's not even done yet for the real A-10C but I want the Helmet Mounted Integrated Targeting (HMIT) system :) http://www.defenseprocurementnews.com/2010/07/22/u-s-air-force-awards-raytheon-12-6-million-helmet-mounted-integrated-targeting-contract/

Nate

Of course I can't say for certain, but here's some stuff I've read or strongly suspect:

- A-10Cs nowadays use a slightly more modern avionics suite and CDU software version. Detailed info is unavailable.

- A-10Cs now use the SNIPER XR targeting pod as opposed to the LITENING II. The SNIPER supports a lot of features not found in the game's TGP: Tracking multiple targets, datalinking images to JTAC units, e.g., for identification, and of course higher resolution FLIR and CCD images. Details on how much better the images are, and how the new features are implemented, are unknown.

- I strongly suspect that the countermeasures system has been simplified, especially the jammer. I've seen photos of the CMDS on other aircraft, and the jammer modes are never as simple as "AIR", "SAM1", "SAM2", and "AAA". I've seen, e.g., a jammer program(?) of "XT3", and modes like "REC" (receive only?) "SSS", "SST", "INH" (inhibit?). (These are from photos of the CMDS on an F-16 and F-15 with the ALQ-132(?).)

- KY-58 secure voice is unimplemented in-game. Operation of the KY-58 is well-known, it's just the actual encryption method and keys used that are unpublished.

- IFF (in particular, mode-4) is unimplemented. Again, the operation of the IFF panel is well-known, but the actual mode-4 encryption method and keys are unpublished.

• Like 1

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Of course I can't say for certain, but here's some stuff I've read or strongly suspect:

- A-10Cs nowadays use a slightly more modern avionics suite and CDU software version. Detailed info is unavailable.

Spoke to an A-10C driver at Moody. He said they were about to go to suite 6.something

are there any aviation enthusiasts that have some idea of what might be missing? the type of stuff which has been on the drawing board and probably (but isn't confirmed) to exist?

Feel free to speak about any other cool stuff that's currently in R & D etc, I love to hear about new technologies.. (I'm a geek :) )

I know I am going to seem like a wet blanket for this post and Conure I'm sure you have the best of intentions and are only curious, but you never know who is who on forums like this.

Best policy is to not provide any information that comes close to restricted/classified/secret.

You wouldn't want anything said in here to compromise the safety of the Real Life Pilots who fly not only the A-10C but the other platforms that share the same components/systems.

Edited by WarriorX

I know I am going to seem like a wet blanket for this post and Conure I'm sure you have the best of intentions and are only curious, but you never know who is who on forums like this.

Best policy is to not provide any information that comes close to restricted/classified/secret.

You wouldn't want anything said in here to compromise the safety of the Real Life Pilots who fly not only the A-10C but the other platforms that share the same components/systems.

Sounds like sensible advice. But while sharing military secrets is highly illegal, isn't trying to guess them quite legal? :smilewink:

Edited by latearrival

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

From what I've read and heard--though it's impossible to verify--I think they have a way of turning off Bitchin' Betty. :smartass:

We use to pull the aural warning circuit breaker too shut her up during maintenance runs when I was in the navy and on some civilian aircraft

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Where is the frontier between a civilian jet simulation and military information? It is getting thinner and thinner with more complexity...

If one day I end up flying an A-10 (which I doubt!), at least DCS would have saved my life! :-)

"Always check your 6 o'clock if you want to live!"

Well here is my point of view. I have caught some flack for refusing to comment on some systems though others were able to pull some information off the web. Just because the information is on the web does not make the system any less classified. The classifications are there to protect the pilots and equipment from enemy intentions. This being said no one with real world information of classified systems will comment confirm or deny the exisitence of any FOUO, Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, or current COMSEC system operation.

Blueridge this wasnt directed at you sir. it was just a geat example.

You all have a wonderful day.

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sure that the participants on this forum who are privy to military secrets know the rules relating to their disclosure, and I'm sure that everybody else respects their right not to divulge information that they feel violates these rules.

If Eagle Dynamics are uncomfortable about the content of the forums - and I understand that they might be, given that both the Russian and US military are their clients - then they can remove the offending content.

Otherwise, we are all equally as entitled to discuss and speculate regarding US military aircraft as we are regarding Russian SA missiles, Chinese stealth fighters or North Korean nuclear weapons.

Why are you asking about things you know you will not know? ... ;)

Things that are classsified and you won't see or know about may be as simple as gun HUD symbology ( a real example in fact ), and you can always expect CMD and ECM systems to not operate quite as they do in the real aircraft.

You can probably expect to not know about classified features of the TAD, TGP, maverick, and navigation system as well.

I'll leave it at that ;)

Hello everyone. I have been making a lot of threads lately so if I'm going too far please let me know!!

Anyway, I understand we have the A10-c and KA-50 modelled to an extremely high level of realism, but that some top secret features are missing ( I just read this on wiki, perhaps it's wrong)...Now I understand the irony of this question "because it's top secret", but are there any aviation enthusiasts that have some idea of what might be missing? the type of stuff which has been on the drawing board and probably (but isn't confirmed) to exist?

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Google is your friend. Or you can buy a plane ticket to Russia and find out for yourself :)

If I'd know any top secrets there's no way I'd reveal them to another person face to face, and especially not on an Internet forum. So don't even try to pull some info from anyone. There's no idea. Heck, I wouldn't even tell you that I know any top secret stuff, because certain organizations would gain interest in you if you implied to. The manual states which systems that are not modelled in the sim because they are classified. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the rest.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Systems left out of a sim don't even need to be Top Secret, any classification is enough to keep the information restricted. Confidential, Secret etc....

IFF, as a previous example, has restrictions on it, but the function is not classified. Mode 3 and C are available in the civilian sector and mode 1, 2 and 4 are generally military. Well...seeing that mode 4 was compromised, it won't be around for much longer.

Also, the export of information such as this is also restricted when dealing with certain countries. With the depth of this sim, I wouldn't be surprised in the US State Dept is involved.

In this video

you can see that there is HUD symbology in the upper left that appears while the gun is firing, that has been removed from the video.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

Blueridge this wasnt directed at you sir. it was just a geat example.

You all have a wonderful day.

:doh:

Why do you keep making it a point to interject into threads to talk about how you "can't talk about" things?

Wouldn't it be easier to just keep quiet?

I'm happy you take your oath seriously; it's fantastic. But stop with the delusions of persecution. And stop bringing my name up, while you're at it.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

morgan didnt realise you are 15th meu. i used to play arma with the 15th a couple years ago... small world

Huh, yeah small world (the world of hyper-realistic flight sims). I should probably remove it from my sig, I'm inactive reserves right now.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

I would think that if someone knows enough about the classified systems and is in a position to use that information to do actual harm then that information probably did not come from speculation here from you and I.

That's just talking ourselves up a little bit don't you think?

ANG units still use the LITENING AT. SNIPER is used by active USAF units.

FYI from ED:

Not only do we have no permission for modeling the Sniper, we don't have the data (particularly for CTRL pages).

We were only contracted for Litening

Also, suite 3.1 has a lot of changes compared to current suite 5 in regards to TGP functions

- A-10Cs now use the SNIPER XR targeting pod as opposed to the LITENING II. The SNIPER supports a lot of features not found in the game's TGP: Tracking multiple targets, datalinking images to JTAC units, e.g., for identification, and of course higher resolution FLIR and CCD images. Details on how much better the images are, and how the new features are implemented, are unknown.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda