Pls explain JTAC UTM data entry in CDU as though to a COMPLETE IDIOT, thanks!

Bahger

Just an idea I've only had a quick chance to try but didnt make much difference is... if the UFC coords point to a box that the target may be in, and we only use 6 digit but could be 8 or 10. Does that mean that if you visualize it as a box, you are looking at the top left corner of it. Then the next digit would divide that into 10? If so, would your UFC point to the Centre of the box if you added a 5 to the end of each - example:

GG 314 304 is the same as

GG 3140 3040 - this represents the top left

GG 3150 3050 - this represents the bottom right

GG 3145 3045 - This represents the centre

I gave it a quick try tonight but did not see much difference but only got time to try once. What do you all think?

Now, that's a very interesting issue I hadn't thought about!

GG314304 represents a square centered on

GG31453045

Hence, it would be logical for the TGP to slew to GG31453045 when you tell it to slew to GG314304.

However, it doesn't. Rather, it slews to GG31403040, or the SW corner of the square GG314304.

I need to borrow an A-10C to check what it does in real life. Anyone got a spare one they're not using at the moment? ;)

Cheers,

/Fred

I'd loan you mine but it's being detailed at the moment. They're buffing out some nicks a d@mn boom operator put in the paint job.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

Followed the above tutorial to the letter and doesn't work; I keep getting "CDU input error". Then I realized that JTAC is giving me UTM coordinates with 5 digits during the 9 line, not 6 digits. I tried again last night and he voiced CL33193 (going from memory), but it definitely had only 5 digits.

Edited by Woots

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The missing 0 is a known bug. JTAC is supposed to truncate the number, and drop trailing zeros, but only to three digits. I'm sure we'll see a fix for this very soon.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68894

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

you have to change the "Easting" coordinate - on CDU one line above the "GGXXXXXXX" input. If the target area is right of your position, then +1 (37T to 38T) and if its left -1 (37T to 36T) but not at all missions! - should work fine (and sorry - my english isnt very well - but ill do my very best:music_whistling:)

• 3 weeks later...

So how are you supposed to 'know' the easting? Seems a little absurd that that wouldn't be information given in the 9-line... I mean, it works if you're close, but if you're on standby loitering until you're called, you could be called for assignment from a hundred miles away and the easting will be *way* off all the time. This doesn't sound like a real problem that should exist...

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks WarriorX for the guide, im about to test it out now!

You are welcome. Let me know if you run into any snags.

So how are you supposed to 'know' the easting? Seems a little absurd that that wouldn't be information given in the 9-line... I mean, it works if you're close, but if you're on standby loitering until you're called, you could be called for assignment from a hundred miles away and the easting will be *way* off all the time. This doesn't sound like a real problem that should exist...

You can look at the CDU POS page to see your current position. You wouldn't normally contact the JTAC until you're fairly close by, so they're unlikely to be in a different zone than your current position. Moreover, a real pilot will also have various maps and charts with them so they'll know if they're close to a grid border and be prepared to apply a bit of common sense or ask for clarification.

Since we can't ask for clarification it'd be nice if they'd include the grid zone in the 9-line all the time. Mind you, it'd also be nice if they used the correct number of digits... :D

Doesn't seem unreasonable. "GJ153920 Easting 37"

On that note, at least during the second instant action mission, the JTAC doesn't actually say the second digit of the coordinates. It shows "GJ143920" but he only says "Golf 1 4 3..."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If there is any doubt whatsoever, JTAC is supposed to give the grid zone. They don't in DCS, which is a bug.

37T/38T is the grid zone BTW. The easting is the first half of the numbers in the coordinate. The complete MGRS coord would be eg 37TAJ482340.

Great Tutorial Warrior, I think Im now good with this part of the CDU.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Great Tutorial Warrior, I think Im now good with this part of the CDU.

Glad I could help you for a change, as I have been enjoying your Airport Diagrams for months!!

Another method

Hi guys,

here is my way dealing with JTAC targets, i hook the red triangle on TAD and make it SPI. So i have the exact point on ground. Especially in night JTAC missions it's very helpful.

Btw, when JTAC marks target with IR Pointer, can i do a LST??? or what is that IR-Function for? With Lasing the target it works fine, i activate LST and the Pod finds it, but IR-Pointer doesn't work.

Sincerely Kane

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

Hi guys,

here is my way dealing with JTAC targets, i hook the red triangle on TAD and make it SPI. So i have the exact point on ground. Especially in night JTAC missions it's very helpful.

Hi Kane,

Just to clarify, the reason for the Tutiorial was as a backup to the "Red Triangle". The datalink red triange is, as you correctly use it, the best way to get on the target the fastest.

But, if you have ever had your SADL Net settings incorrectly set by either user error, or bug, you will want to know this method. It is a very empty feeling when the JTAC says "Standby Data" and nothing shows up on the TAD and you are left with nothing. With the Tutorial, you will be able to get on target if you entered the coordinates while the 9 line brief was being given, or by writing the coordinates down on paper.

The alternate reason for making a waypoint from the JTAC coordinates, is that you can always use that waypoint later on if you need to re-prosecute an unfinished attack.

Could someone explain the benefit in going through all of this button crunching in a hot area when all you need to do is mark the data symbol JTAC sends you?

What am I missing?

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

It's a fallback. If the datalink fails you'd be screwed if you didn't know how to use the CDU to find the target via coordinate.

Ah, okay bud. Thanks :)

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR