Would you prefer DCS A-10 over Black Shark?

starkey817

Im getting some help from very friendly people on this forum to build a new computer. I'm primarily building it with DCS A-10C in mind, so it should be able to handle black shark extremely well. What I was wondering is which one would be good to start playing first? Does it take more time to learn how to play black shark since its a helicopter and those are just a bit more complicated? If I go with A-10C am I going to get in the air quicker and start blowing up baddies than if I were to start with black shark? Just wondering what yall's opinions were...

much love,

dakota

Im getting some help from very friendly people on this forum to build a new computer. I'm primarily building it with DCS A-10C in mind, so it should be able to handle black shark extremely well. What I was wondering is which one would be good to start playing first? Does it take more time to learn how to play black shark since its a helicopter and those are just a bit more complicated? If I go with A-10C am I going to get in the air quicker and start blowing up baddies than if I were to start with black shark? Just wondering what yall's opinions were...

much love,

dakota

Flying and utilizing the Ka-50 to its full effectiveness is alot more difficult than the A-10C. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Ka-50 systems and avionics are more difficult to grasp and manipulate.

There are two problems imho to solve. Avionics in BS is much simpler, heh you have only ABRIS and few buttons. You can go blow up tanks. But flying itself is a bit hard, anyway you need to practice cause you can fly forward, backward, right, left, up and down... I don't count mix of them together at 10m over the ground with wind where SAMS are hunting you.....

So flying technique is harder in BS and easier in GheyTen.

I recommend to take BS first. After launching startup procedure You just need to move throttle up and move joy forward. Turn on 3 buttons and you are ready to kill :P

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I find myself playing Black Shark more, which surprised me. Once you get a feel for how it flies, it's not too hard to engage targets. Just need to do your best to make sure you hit them for where they can't hit you.

A-10 Avionics still baffle me, but that's my own fault

The Ka50 is simpler and more enjoyable in my opinion. It has just a small stable of weapons and only 1 or 2 ways to deploy them. It's a wonderful single-player machine that allows the pilot to approach the target slowly and, if necessary, hide. The A10C requires more discipline and appropriate squad tactics to be effective. I like the A10. It provides the pilot an amazing amount of SA and firepower. And ED should get all sorts of kudos and hosannahs for reproducing it so nicely. But the plane lacks soul. I am very much looking forward to watching it from my Black Shark tucked away nicely on a ridge-line.

Comparing DCS:KA-50 to DCS:A-10C is like comparing blondes and brunettes. You'll have a lot of people that swear by one or the other. As for me; I do both (aircraft).

It's hard to prefer one over the other, as they're both equally awesome. They're apples and oranges though, so hard to compare.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

For me, the BS was easier to grasp, but much harder to fly.

I come from a fixed wing background so I get fixed wing immediately. The rotating wings thing is another story. I found it very hard to coordinate hovering, wind compensation and delivering ordinance. That said, I probably didn't give myself enough time to properly learn to fly BS.

So, if you're comfortable with rotary wing craft and find flying them not too difficult, BS might be a good starter.

Get both! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hmm... I'm not sure about the difficulty thing. Apples and oranges really. I fing the A-10 a lot easier to fly, but on the other hand I fly fixed wing IRL, so...

I'd probably say that the Shark is harder to learn to fly, but the avionics are easier to learn.

The A-10 is easier to learn to fly, but has more complex avionics.

Where it ends up on the learning curve then really is up to you and what your particular proficiencies are. There are also big differences in how they are employed tactically, but again that part is a large part personality to try to discern which is easier.

So in the end: start with whichever aircraft you feel emotionally more attracted to. Learn it for a bit, and whenever you might get a bit frustrated at the learning curve or whatever, try the other one out just for fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I found the time to get up in the air doing missions confortably was considerably less in BS over A10. It sounds like a lot of people had initial trouble getting used to the feel of flying the BS but personally after I got trimming down to a natural ballet in flight, it was all good.

Community answers for BS issues seem more direct and successful than what I've experienced so far with A10. A10 has a huge amount of intricacies to learn. With the more limited loadouts for BS there are fewer weapon systems to learn. Communications with wingmen and datalink is also easier.

I guess I'm saying that to me, BS is easier - did you get that point yet? haha However, A10 seems to be more rewarding as I learn new systems and how they play with other systems. The more I learn, the more fun over BS I have. A10 is also really beautiful graphics wise.

I built my system for A10 too :

i7 950

GTX 570

Asus Sabertooth Mobo

6GB G.Skill PI

The secret to getting comfortable with the A-10's systems is this:

MAP YOUR HOTAS CORRECTLY.

Even if you don't have a HOTAS, NEVER think of actions as keyboard bindings. ALWAYS think of them as HOTAS actions. They are grouped in a way that makes sense. It will help you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Both simulations are excellent. From a going to war point of view, the Black Shark requires a different mindset to the A10c. The Marine Sniper;-

"A Marine Corps Scout/Sniper is a Marine highly skilled in fieldcraft and marksmanship who delivers long range precision fire, on select targets, from concealed positions in support of combat operations."

Note, the "concealed " term. Also, learning to fly the Black Shark is a challenge, but when mastered, is very rewarding. The automation built into the BS is impressive, given that its a single crew machine. It even has a full autopilot function which includes target tracking. Its a superb machine, expertly simulated.

The evolution is plain to see in A10c. The mission planner has become even more advanced and is a wonder to both learn and use. Same for the A10c! Its a complete A10c simulation. It costs a million Dollars to train a pilot, now you can do it on your own, if you have lots of ability:thumbup:

So buy and fly both! If you can keep "current" on both types, then you are truly a Master Aviator and deserve your wings.

Enjoy:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

a-10 here due to being an old falconeer and il2 pilot. But make no mistake bs is good and liked it alot :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Comparing DCS:KA-50 to DCS:A-10C is like comparing blondes and brunettes. You'll have a lot of people that swear by one or the other. As for me; I do both (aircraft).

It's hard to prefer one over the other, as they're both equally awesome. They're apples and oranges though, so hard to compare.

Yeah, I'm with ya on that Strong! They both are great sims..BS best chopper sim out there..A10 well it speaks for it self.Those two aircraft worlds apart:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I loved BS, but never could get into it fully...I was an old Falconeer...soon as A-10 was released, I jumped and havent run BS since. BS is a great helicopter sim, an absolute blast and very immersive. Now that I have track IR, I've thought about jumping back to BS to try it out on a helicopter. Should help considerably with landing/hovering being able to quickly look out to the the side for a reference view.

I enjoyed BS but A10 more so, I also find it far easier.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

The only thing keeping me from flying BS more often would have to be it's graphics. It could be me but I find the terrain to be pretty flat and lacking of trees or concealment compared to A10C. I also don't get that immersion of speed nearly as close as I do in A10. Though I'm pretty sure a graphics update is on the to-do list for the Devs and if that is so, maybe I'll be in heaven :)

I, too, like both. As StrongHarm put it, blonds & brunettes. gotta love 'em both.

(er, just kidding, Honey, brunettes rule!!!) :music_whistling:

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Very true. Besides we are talking about chopper and plane difference itself there is also large tactical employment difference between those 2 aircrafts. You would rarely find choppers operating in the area where enemy planes might show up.

The main differences in avionics and flight behaviour have been mentioned numerous times. What I think sets the two sims apart are the highly different mindsets of dealing with the mission at hand.

While this of course depends on personal preference, I think in the Ka-50 you are always - after a couple of minutes of standoff attacks with the Vikhrs - fast and low, down-in-the-sh*t, sweating buckets trying to keep the bird fast and low enough, engaging targets, and evading all sorts of ground fire. In my opinion this gives the Ka-50 a more "getting your hands dirty" experience.

On the other hand, my experience with the A-10C is that you have a wider view of the mission. You orbit at 25k+ looking through your targeting pod and engage with the safest way possible. And again, yes, there are enough moments when you have to get down and dirty also, but you can still outperform at least some S/A threats. So, to me, the A-10C is more of a methodical high-tech approach.

Depends on the flying mood I'm in. I've been flying A-10C more these days simply because the learning curve with the avionics is higher in my opinion. Strangely enough, if I take some time away from the Shark, I come back with more control over it.

They're both great sims no doubt, personal preference is key. Helicopter vs fixed wing flying are very different abilities. :)

I prefer Black Shark as I like helicopter more than fixed wing. But currently I am playing only A10C. The graphics and the improvements they made put me off BS and I am pertinently waiting for a patch to fix BS AI and make it look as good as the A10C.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.