Visually finding targets

Geezuz

So I have one problem...I can't seem to find targets in the TGP. I change gain and level, use FLIR and CCD modes, and sometimes I even KNOW where the target is (made my own mission), but then still am having issues getting the TGP close to where i need it to be so I can then scan the area and find the target.

I find altitude helps, of course, but particularly targets close to a city or wooded area is very hard for me to find. Maybe it's my red-green colorblindness?

I've got no problems with pretty much anything else in the simulation, but finding a target ~7-10NM out with the TGP seems to defeat me, unless the targets nicely placed on an empty open field.

Unfortunately do to the nature of FLIR modeling in the game, it's much, much much harder to find contrasting heat bodies than it is in real life. In reality, in WHOT, trees at night would glow pale white, concrete would be a muddy gray, foliage would be mostly dark, and a tank in the middle of it would be glowing like the sun.

The A/C-130 mission in COD4, as much as the game disgusts me, had fairly accurate FLIR modeling. I've heard ED is working on it, but the only thing I can suggest is making sure the resolution of your MFCDs is 512 or 1024.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Geezuz, welcome to the Forums!

Don't give up hope, there are some things you can do to help your target acquisition in the TGP. There are both GAIN and LEVEL settings that can be changed in the TGP display MFCD. They are next to OSB's 19 and 20. Look in the Flight Manual at page 329 to see them under marker # 11. Try those out and see if you get better results.

Strongharm has some real good post's on his tip's and tricks for TGP searching.

Do a search for his post's in this forum and you will be glad you did.

• Like 1

Hi Geezuz, welcome to the Forums!

Don't give up hope, there are some things you can do to help your target acquisition in the TGP. There are both GAIN and LEVEL settings that can be changed in the TGP display MFCD. They are next to OSB's 19 and 20. Look in the Flight Manual at page 329 to see them under marker # 11. Try those out and see if you get better results.

Strongharm has some real good post's on his tip's and tricks for TGP searching.

Do a search for his post's in this forum and you will be glad you did.

Thanks for the help, I will do a search for strongharms posts. BTW - you should really read posts before offering your help - you wasted a bunch of your time explaining gain and level to me, when I clearly posted that I understand this already.

As for the FLIR modelling, well that makes sense. I was wondering why I can't set my TGP in any way so that a tank - a very hot signature - stands out properly against some trees (marginal heat) and empty, brick buildings (no heat) - currently, it just looks like some very ugly, white-brown-black texture mess. There's no way to differentiate between, say, a tree and a BMP unless zooming in so far that by the time you know it's a tree you're already past the area and have to circle around.

And yeah, I am using high res MFCDs.

I guess all I can do is wait for ED to fix this. It's rather dumb, the campaign is pretty much unplayable for me because it's really, really stupid trying to shoot AAA or SAMs with your gun since you can't tell it's there unless you're less than a mile out.

• Like 1

To help illustrate what a good point WarriorX made I'd like to add a screenshot here. As you can see in the picture the targets are a little over 11 miles, the TGP is in wide FOV and is not zoomed at all. I adjusted the TGP into 6G & 2L.

Note the screenshot is at 256 mfd resolution and it's still pretty clear which are the targets.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1192194&postcount=3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

BTW - you should really read posts before offering your help - you wasted a bunch of your time explaining gain and level to me, when I clearly posted that I understand this already.

Thanks for being so concerned with my time, but if you are not making out a tank or shilka until you are under a mile from it, then you are either not using both the optical and digital zoom of the TGP, or you need to re-examine your understanding of the gain and level.

• Like 1

To help illustrate what a good point WarriorX made I'd like to add a screenshot here. As you can see in the picture the targets are a little over 11 miles, the TGP is in wide FOV and is not zoomed at all. I adjusted the TGP into 6G & 2L.

Note the screenshot is at 256 mfd resolution and it's still pretty clear which are the targets.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1192194&postcount=3

Are you kidding? It is NOT clear at ALL where the targets are lol ... geez I better not have any kind of dirt or specs on my computer monitor because I might be shooting at a dirt field in the middle of nowhere and blow up a cow ... :huh:

I agree. and yet we have to read people telling them to nerf the pod on other threads.

• Like 1

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Are you kidding? It is NOT clear at ALL where the targets are lol ... geez I better not have any kind of dirt or specs on my computer monitor because I might be shooting at a dirt field in the middle of nowhere and blow up a cow ... :huh:

I can see 3 targets... He said its not zoom and very far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Sorry but if you can't see them targets then I don't know what to do, they stand out a mile in that screenshot, SA-9 in the top left corner with two T-80U's, one above the cross and one on the mid right. I agree that the FLIR need's work though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

3 targets.... I see three minute specs of black. How anyone can say which is which from that picture is lying. Also, they are in a field on a screenshot. Pick them out in a town while flying, I'd be impressed.

Your not meant to tell which is which at that distance, not even the real Litening II can do that with no zoom at that range. Your only meant to spot that there is a target then you can zoom in to identify. I'll sort out a town screenshot in an hour or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 targets.... I see three minute specs of black. How anyone can say which is which from that picture is lying. Also, they are in a field on a screenshot. Pick them out in a town while flying, I'd be impressed.

Haha agreed ... also we are staring at a picture that isn't moving in a forum. Now try this while flying, and SCANNING the TGP by moving it around while in that town ... yeah not so easy to spot.

Haha agreed ... also we are staring at a picture that isn't moving in a forum. Now try this while flying, and SCANNING the TGP by moving it around while in that town ... yeah not so easy to spot.

Just as easy on my system whilst moving. I play on 256 resolution and have no problems what-so-ever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sometimes that's just how things are, what fun would it be if you could see a target from 30 miles out? (you can btw, but ya need to zoom in and know where they are to find em initially)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Sometimes that's just how things are, what fun would it be if you could see a target from 30 miles out? (you can btw, but ya need to zoom in and know where they are to find em initially)

Nope, only point I'm trying to make is it's not ALL that obvious to see as originally stated.

Yeah, because we don't expect a sim to be realistic or anything.:rolleyes:

Disagree with that comment,thats what ED are doing here, hence taking so much time to make this as REALISTIC as possible.

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

Can anyone clarify that ED is indeed working on the modeling of the FLIR? I will say that there has been a lot of good info from these forums, especially what WarriorX has posted in the form of tutorials. I have gotten better or luckier in acquiring targets in this wonderful sim.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Im sure if you ask nate he will tell you more on the flir progess if he,s about!

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12