Checklists - not for total beginners

IronHog

10 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Not sure alert is a common thing with the A-10C, but that could be a reason, to sit with ground power and just re-start the engines, check electric systems and warning lights are good, brake check etc. then ready to taxi.

Yeah, could be!

On the other hand, what are the odds of signal lights breaking between power cycles? They could also break in the air, but I'm not aware of any signal lights test after the Before taxi checklist. 😉

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Yurgon:

Yeah, could be!

On the other hand, what are the odds of signal lights breaking between power cycles? They could also break in the air, but I'm not aware of any signal lights test after the Before taxi checklist. 😉

Yepp, as I said just an observation, that some checklist items seem to be at weird times in the sequence in certain planes, but make somehow sense, if you do the cold start as prep for alert and shut down to wait. 🤔

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

48 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Yeah, could be!

My wild speculation is that some of the signal lights themselves might be powered by some of the buses in a way that an interconnect failure would show up with the main gens but not the APU gen, but after trying to figure that out my head exploded so I just left it alone 🙂

• Like 2

Wow, as a non-pilot newbie to both DSC and flight sims this is great revival discussion. I've spent countless hours looking at YT videos of cold startups and checklists. The information in this threat is really helpful. I built my own startup checklist based on YT Ralfidude's video, He recommended having a flow to the checklist actions and grouping things. I came up with the following that's been working for me...

Startup Preparation Check All ON

• Wing & Main Boost Pumps L/R,   
  • Gen Switches: APU & AC Gen L/R
  • Startup
  • Battery Switch ON
  • Inverter Switch ON
  • APU Start Switch ON
  • If Rearming – Intercom for Crew Chief
  • Close Canopy         
  • Position Light – FLASH      [Pinky Switch – AFT]
  • CDU & EGI Switches ON

• VHF/UHF Radio (ARG210)         TR-G   MAN or PRST
  • UHF Radio (ARC164)            MAIN or BOTH            MNL or PRST
  • VHF FM Radio (ARC186)        TR        MAN or PRST
  • Radio to VHF - ATC Request Startup
  • Left ENG Start: Move to Idle   (ENG CYCLE Lite)
  • Right ENG Start: Move to Idle   (ENG CYCLE Lite)

• Position Light – STEADY

• Clear MASTER CAUTION Light                  
  • Flight Control Checks

• SAS [4] ON
  • Takeoff Trim Button Depress 

• CICU Switch ON
  • JTRS Switch ON
  • IFFCC Switch ON
  • Standby Attitude Indicator Uncage & Set Level
  • Antiskid ON
  • Landing Lights to TAXI
  • Left MFCD  ON
    • “LOAD ALL” Left MFCD (done when dots return)
    • Check “DSMS” (Digital Stores Management) Left MFCD for Weapons / Profiles

• Right MFCD ON
  • CDU to Right MFCD
  • Check Right MFCD for “INS NAV READY” and “T=4.00.8”
  • Select “NAV” menu in Right MFCD

• EGI ON

• EAC to Arm 
  • RDR ALTM to NRM

• Countermeasure Mode to “SEMI”
  • Arm: MWS (Missile Warning), JMR (Jammer), RWR (Radar Warning), DISP
  • Oxygen ON
  • PITOT Heat Switch ON
  • “STEER PT” to Flight Plath

• Check Left MFCD “TAD” (Tactical Awareness Display) for route lines

Pre-Taxi

• Nosewheel Steering ON [Joystick Lever] 
  • Remove Chocks – Intercom Crew Chief

Runway final check

• Flaps to Maneuver
  • Ejection Seat ARM
  • APU Switch OFF
  • APU GEN Switch OFF
  • Light Panel:      

Position Light – STEADY 
Anti-Collision– ON
Landing - ON

• No Caution Lights 
  • Review Kneeboard for Route Check/HUD for 1st Waypoint

• Like 1

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

16 minutes ago, PacFlyer23 said:

Wow, as a non-pilot newbie to both DSC and flight sims this is great revival discussion. I've spent countless hours looking at YT videos of cold startups and checklists. The information in this threat is really helpful. I built my own startup checklist based on YT Ralfidude's video, He recommended having a flow to the checklist actions and grouping things. I came up with the following that's been working for me...

Looks pretty much spot on. The only point I'd make about realism (take it or leave it) is that position lights should stay flash until your runway final check, and then go steady "Steady = ready (for takeoff)". The taxi light isn't used during the day normally. I know other aircraft use their taxi light to indicate to their crew chief that they are ready for taxi though. So if you want to use the taxi light while taxiing I'd recommend moving it to the last thing you do before you start taxiing. Think of that as your way of visually signaling to the crew chief that he needs to start marshalling you out of chocks. That's generally saved for airplanes where the crew chief doesn't have any intercomm to talk to the pilot though (I'm specifically thinking T-6/T-38 but there might be others)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacFlyer23 said:

Cockpit flow is cool, even if non-official.  I think it's one of those things NASA has been doing research on as an alternative to written checklists in civilian aviation, and given that you don't have a regulatory agency breathing down your neck in DCS, it makes total sense for most sim pilots 🙂 

Thanks for that catch on the lights. I've created a checklist using a numbered switch map that was in the DCS downloads. Putting it together - especially rewatching Ralfidude's YT video multiple times in order to jot down the switch and flow - really helped me learn where things are located. 

A-10C II Checklist RD.v3.pdf

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5