Checklists - not for total beginners

IronHog

Hi,

I have just finished my checklists for flight preparation, startup, taxi and takeoff and would like to share it with this great community.

The checklists are based on Flight Manual and checklists already made by other members, so this is an opportunity to thanks them once more for the input!

As mentioned in the title, those checklists are not for total beginners - what I mean by that is you should already be familiar with the cockpit.

The main goal of creating another checklists was for me to declutter obvious information like:

- key shortcuts

- guidance about location of each control / instrument

and just stay with crucial information so that all procedures may be quickly run through step by step

I hope some of you will find it useful :)

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or missing parts.

DCS-A10-FLIGHT-PREP_0.9.pdf

DCS-A10-START-TAXI-TAKEOF_0.9.pdf

• Like 4

thanks, nice clean list. Very nice.

Only thing I noticed I do different is I like to arm the seat right after turning on radios. Not sure how they do it RL but would make sense to have it ready in case of catastrophic problem on startup :)

I've always taken the view that if things are so bad you can't quickly grab and pull a lever before ejecting you're screwed anyway. It can't take more than a second or two to arm the seat at the slower speeds you'll be on the ground (I guess, I'll inevitably be corrected here) then you'll be alright. I arm it just as I reach the runway.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Only thing I noticed I do different is I like to arm the seat right after turning on radios. Not sure how they do it RL but would make sense to have it ready in case of catastrophic problem on startup :)

I know I don't arm the seat until I'm out of the HAS. Don't wanna end up as a greasy spot on the ceiling... :lol:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

nice job :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I am glad you like it so much guys :)

In a couple of days a I gonna upload newer versions as I found some minor mistakes, but

before that it would be great to have some questions answered - I tried to search the forum but no results for those:

- although I included checking of Trim movement during startup sequence I have no idea how such a check should be performed (how is that done in RL?) - as far as I know there is no any indication of trim tabs positions in the cockpit ?

- Rotary Selector dial on Intercom Control Panel - for broadcasting on needed transmitter HOTAS Mic switch is used, then my question is how it works in relation to the given setting of the Rotary Selector dial (Mic switch just overrides the setting on the dial)?

- SAS Panel - in the Flight Manual (page 450) just after engaging SAS system there is this sentence "Position the disengage switch left and watch YAW SAS disengage. Position to the right watch YAW SAS disengage" - which one is this "disengage switch" ?

- is the paddle emergency disengage modeled in the simulation?

Thanks for any info and sorry if those questions have been already answered

- although I included checking of Trim movement during startup sequence I have no idea how such a check should be performed (how is that done in RL?) - as far as I know there is no any indication of trim tabs positions in the cockpit ?

There is no indication in the cockpit. First, press the I/O (if I remember correctly) TRIM button in the left panel for two seconds, and if you want to see if your trimming works, watch the stick (it will move as you change the trim). You can also see the small trim tabs on the wings, although not sure if it can be done from inside the cockpit... in F2 view it is clearly visible, but can be regarded as cheating ;)

As for the other questions, can't really help.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

There is no indication in the cockpit. First, press the I/O (if I remember correctly) TRIM button in the left panel for two seconds, and if you want to see if your trimming works, watch the stick (it will move as you change the trim). You can also see the small trim tabs on the wings, although not sure if it can be done from inside the cockpit... in F2 view it is clearly visible, but can be regarded as cheating ;)

As for the other questions, can't really help.

Thanks for this one :)

This is my guess to that the visual check is rather impossible from inside the cockpit.

The Crew Chief will usually visually ID the control surfaces for anything abnormal. They're not exactly precision checks or anything but if your ailerons are sitting low someone will notice. I've actually GAB'd a jet as a B-man because the left stab on one of our jets wouldn't sit back to the neutral position (which is something like -4 degrees).

Also, the IFFCC BIT that we cannot interact with at all right now checks the flight controls normally (I think...), and usually those systems are sensitive enough to notice something like trim not working. If I had the game working right now I'd check the IFFCC commands, but I know there's stuff on there for LAAP and the like.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Crew Chief will usually visually ID the control surfaces for anything abnormal. They're not exactly precision checks or anything but if your ailerons are sitting low someone will notice. I've actually GAB'd a jet as a B-man because the left stab on one of our jets wouldn't sit back to the neutral position (which is something like -4 degrees).

Thank you for the RL information!

Also, the IFFCC BIT that we cannot interact with at all right now checks the flight controls normally (I think...), and usually those systems are sensitive enough to notice something like trim not working. If I had the game working right now I'd check the IFFCC commands, but I know there's stuff on there for LAAP and the like.

You mean by that that those specific IFFCC BIT are not currently implemented in the simulation?

You mean by that that those specific IFFCC BIT are not currently implemented in the simulation?

The IFFCC preflight BIT flashes all the messages to center flight controls and test SAS / EAC and presumably checks the flight controls themselves, but it's all done for you and is merely cosmetic. Personally I wish they would enable its functionality because, well, I'm into the whole maintenance aspect of these things and think it would be a useful, interactive step in the startup procedures. Right now if you know what you're doing you can blow through the whole startup in like two minutes and sit there drumming your fingers waiting to align... making us do the preflight checks not only is extremely realistic (removing it seems sort of dumbed-down to me) but just makes the startup that much more interesting to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 years later...

This is certainly one of the most detailed and well thought out checklists! IronHog has researched well !!
For learning the A-10C II I've come down to His checklist, Chucks A-10C WartHog Guide, and DCS A-10C II flight manual Edition:11 July 2023, of which I've added links to about 80% of the cockpit controls.

Has anyone got Hogs latest files?

OK, so I know this post is being resurrected from 11 years ago... but since it got resurrected, I'd like to point out that the checklist could use some modernization and completely optional realism points (take it or leave it, the OP indicated he wanted a realistic checklist though so here's my input). Some of these points might be squadron standards specific or technique/good practices that are not necessarily -1 mandated. I'm mostly posting this for my own amusement but figured it would start a conversation.

Prep checklist:

EAC cannot be engaged sense there's no power to the aircraft, the checklist isn't wrong, but it doesnt really need to be there.
radar altimeter - should be NRM
boost pumps (Wing/Main) should be ON, this is now the default
AC Gen (L/R) - should be on, unless its very cold or rainy out, then they'd be left off until after engine start so the generators can warm up.

STARTUP, TAXI, TAKEOFF

All lights - wherever it says day-dim night-bright, should be the opposite.
Radios - The mid radio is the only one powered by the battery. Turn that on after battery/inverter, turn the others on after apu and apu generator start. Radios are sensitive and its best practice not to have them turned on as the AC generators start up. I'm not an electrician but "something, something, power surges and stuff, probably wont matter but why risk it" is the explanation I've always heard

Canopy - unless its cold outside, usually left open until after engine starts by most pilots (The air conditioner doesn't work during engine starts and if the sun is on the cockpit it warms up really quick) If its a nice day outside it seems like lots of pilots like to taxi with their canopies up.
BOOST PUMPS - Should already be on from the prep checklist
APU GEN SWITCH - Before turning it on verify the L. FUEL PRESS light is out. (Not really a factor in the sim, it's always out unless you've pulled the DC FUEL PUMP circuit breaker)

ENGINE STARTUP
   ATC COMM - Correct for DCS and most campaigns, but just a real world note here, at least at USAF fighter bases... Fighters don't have to talk to ATC usually to request engine startup. Thats a thing for civilians and heavies.
   APU GEN SWITCH - Don't turn this off until you are also turning off the APU generator. The APU GEN switch is also powering the cooling system for the generator. even when you have both L/R AC Generators working you need the generator switch on while the APU is on

APU Switch- This checklist has you turn off the APU immediately after engine start. In reality there is a minimum time the APU needs to run unloaded after an engine start (a couple of minutes), Also the APU is providing your air conditioning, and heating while on the ground and your engines are in idle. You can turn it off whenever you want after the the minimum unloaded run time, but turn it off no later than your pre-takeoff checks.

Pre-Flight test
   SIGNAL LAMP TEST  - This should be tested first right after the battery and inverter switch are started and then again after engine start (AC POWER available)
Fire detect bleed air leak test - This only needs to be checked once, but needs to be earlier in the checklist before you start your APU. That way you know it will tell you if you have an APU/Engine fire during startup.

FLAPS/SPEED BREAK/CONTROLS/TRIM/etc... - The checklist is fine, there was a lot of discussion back in 2012 apparently about how these tests are actually done. The pilot is talking through the intercom with the crew chief, the pilot tell the crew chief what he's doing, moves something, and the crew chief watches to make sure the appropriate control surface moves. The pilot can't see most of the things on their own.

HUD MODE - Generally left in day mode even at night due to NVGs

Final Checks and Taxi

ANTI-SKID - this isn't supposed to be turned on until you are lined up on the runway ready for takeoff. Should be removed from this checklist.

SEAT arm handle - This is armed immediately prior to taxing onto the runway, and disarmed as you are leaving the runway. Definitley not while taxiing around. Easiest way to fail a ride in UPT is to arm or forget to arm your ejection seat outside of the appropriate time.

FLAPS lever - Not set until the pre-takeoff checklist immediately prior to taking the runway.
   LANDING LIGHTS - taxi lights aren't used during the day.

LCP Position switch - FLASH is the appropriate setting, but it should be in the flash position before you even turn your battery on, this should be moved to the pre-start checklist.
   LCP ANTI-COLLISION LIGHT - Same comment

There is a critical checklist here which is missing because all the steps are dispersed throughout all the other checklists. In reality, you'd do what this checklist labels as "Final Checks" minus the items I pointed out being in the wrong spot prior to taxi. Then you'd get taxi clearance and the formation would taxi to the end of the runway to get armed up. That's where the maintainers would pull all the weapons pins and give the aircraft a final lookover. Obviously that's not simulated in DCS. So I just knock out this next checklist as I am approaching the end of the runway. After every aircraft in the formation is arme'd up the flight lead would direct "PRE-TAKEOFF CHECKS" At which point each aircraft does the following:

PRE-TAKEOFF CHECKS:

Ejection Seat - Arm
  Flaps - MVR
  APU - OFF (If not already off)
  Tape - ON
  Landing Light - LDG
  APU GEN SWITCH - OFF
  PITOT Heat - ON
  LCP POSITION LIGHTS - STEADY
  LCP ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS - ON

Then there's some radio comm and the flight gets clearance for takeoff, taxi's onto the runway. Once lined up on the runway:
  ANTI-SKID - ON

Then there's a series of hand signals and head nods between the pilots and the rest of the checklist continues...

TAKEOFF

LANDING LIGHTS - Leave in the LAND position, the light is only on when the gear are down and locked. This way when you come back to land it will automatically come on. Outside of combat, tower will be looking for the light, because if its on it means the gear are down and locked.

LCP POSITION/ANTI-COLLISION - Like i said that's part of the pre-takeoff checks.

Absolutley none of those things are critical or necessary for flying in DCS. Those are all just some notes for realism and flavor. Have fun, and I look forward to all the BS flags that are about to get thrown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ASAP said:

SIGNAL LAMP TEST  - This should be tested first right after the battery and inverter switch are started and then again after engine start (AC POWER available)

Good points all around!

This one in particular I'm always wondering why the second test comes after engine start; with APU and APU Generator being on as part of the Prior to Engine Start checklist, it always seems more logical to me to move the second Signal Lights Test to this checklist. Do you know why it's part of the Before Taxi checklist instead?

4 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Good points all around!

This one in particular I'm always wondering why the second test comes after engine start; with APU and APU Generator being on as part of the Prior to Engine Start checklist, it always seems more logical to me to move the second Signal Lights Test to this checklist. Do you know why it's part of the Before Taxi checklist instead?

You test it the first time after the battery and inverter are working. You want to make sure all the caution lights work (especially important ones you care about during engine start like Left Fuel Pressure/Eng Start cycle, etc...) and that the lights powered by the DC and essential AC bus are working. That's most of them, minus the gun ready and.... the canopy light(?) Then when you get engines started and there is AC power you test it again to make sure that the lights powered by the AC bus are working.

3 hours ago, ASAP said:

Then when you get engines started and there is AC power you test it again to make sure that the lights powered by the AC bus are working.

Sure, that all makes perfect sense.

But my question is: with APU and APU Generator on, all of these Signal Lights are already working, to include the NMSP and the Homing Indicator Lights, the AoA Indexer Lights, the Refueling Status Lights and the GUN READY Light. I just want to figure out why the test of all these lights is moved all the way back to the Before Taxi checklist when it could just as well be performed as soon as APU and APU Generator are on - do you know if there's a specific reason for that, or is just "that's the way it was designed way back when, no particular reason"? 😉

I don't know, that's a good point. You are correct everything should work as soon as you have the APU and Generator on. I think the point of testing the lights it after engine start is so you are just focused on getting the APU and engines started during that time. None of the additional lights are important for starting the engines, so the checklist doesn't have you bother testing them until later.

Additionally, during the engine start process you are also monitoring the AC generators coming on line at 52% RPM for each respective generator, and you are making sure there is a good left generator crossover when the L. GEN takes the electrical load from the APU at that point. As soon as both engines are up and running you also turn off the L GEN switch momentarily to make sure you get a good R. GEN crossover, and THEN you test the lights. I guess the guy who wrote the checklist thought it made more sense to test the lights after you've fully checked the integrity of your electrical system... That's mostly conjecture on my part. You'd functionally get the same results and see the same things if you tested the lights after the APU/APU GEN start.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Yurgon:

Sure, that all makes perfect sense.

But my question is: with APU and APU Generator on, all of these Signal Lights are already working, to include the NMSP and the Homing Indicator Lights, the AoA Indexer Lights, the Refueling Status Lights and the GUN READY Light. I just want to figure out why the test of all these lights is moved all the way back to the Before Taxi checklist when it could just as well be performed as soon as APU and APU Generator are on - do you know if there's a specific reason for that, or is just "that's the way it was designed way back when, no particular reason"? 😉

I am no expert on those checklists, but I found that often there is a logical split into everything that needs to be done on startup, to the point you can have the plane sit on alert and then everything you need to ensure is "still" working before you actually launch.

Not sure alert is a common thing with the A-10C, but that could be a reason, to sit with ground power and just re-start the engines, check electric systems and warning lights are good, brake check etc. then ready to taxi.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)