Maverick EO

Hey, a quick question about mavericks - today after 30 mins of having EO set to on, I got a warning message on my MFCD. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it reminded me about the EO status. Is there a safe time for which it can run and after that might stop working?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey, a quick question about mavericks - today after 30 mins of having EO set to on, I got a warning message on my MFCD. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it reminded me about the EO status. Is there a safe time for which it can run and after that might stop working?

I believe there is eventually a limit in RL but I've never had Mav's on without using them to find out in sim.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

So, even though you get the warning, it doesn't affect mav performance in the sim?

Nope, in the sim it doesn't make any difference. In real life, the Maverick seeker head gets hotter and has to be shutdown to be cooled again. In this manner, the seeker will be sensitive enough to detect heat signatures.

But, in the game, click the ACK button and carry on.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

I occasionally have problems locking Mavericks on targets with an EO time larger than 45 minutes. Turning EO off and back on again solves the issue and the Maverick works fine again. So it seems that Maverick sensor overheating is somehow modeled.

I keep my mavericks on most of the time. Sometimes in excess of two hours, and I've never had any issues with locking onto targets. Maybe someone could test this to make sure.

(I would, but I wouldn't know where to start).

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Cool thread - and helpful links...I wondered why there were so many options for setting the timing of when the Maverick EO clock starts ticking...after a time delay, a certain time from a certain waypoint, a certain distance from a waypoint, at a certain waypoint, etc, etc.

I've gotten into the habit of turning them on early (usually during startup procedures while waiting for the navigation system to align) and leaving them on. Now I know why you wouldn't necessarily want to do that in a real A-10, and is actually a bad habit if one is attempting to emulate the habits of real A-10 pilots.

Thanks!

I keep my mavericks on most of the time. Sometimes in excess of two hours, and I've never had any issues with locking onto targets. Maybe someone could test this to make sure.

(I would, but I wouldn't know where to start).

It's actually quite simple. Ask the guy/gal who wrote the code. It is either in there or not, regardless of perceptions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So what is the typical cool down time in the real jet? (Hey, If it's classified, don't spill it.)

As a rule of thumb, it takes twice as long for the electronics to cool down as it took to heat up.

There you have it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Hmmm.... I would imagine actual overheating would manifest on both in similar ways: visual artifacts, though I think the IR would be more affected - IR needs to be kept at a set temperature for sensitivity reasons, whereas a hot CCD usually just manifests as speckles and 'noise'. Still, I would imagine the CCD would be a little more tolerable of overtemp than the IR.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can see the IR mavericks having this problem, but why would the TV ones? IR needs to be temperature-stable for sensitivity purposes...

No space for cooling, just like any other computer, with no vents.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

No space for cooling, just like any other computer, with no vents.

Edited my post: I forgot that it's not really just 'TV', but specifically a CCD which even in your digital camera do overheat.

PS: Vents? It's in a -20C airstream! Cut a hole in the side! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Edited my post: I forgot that it's not really just 'TV', but specifically a CCD which even in your digital camera do overheat.

If you do that, you probably end up with a lot of condensation instead ;)

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

LOL holes would affect the flight path once fired.......