Any fix for HUD zoom?

WildBillKelsoe

Hey fellas..

It is starting to become a nuisance, the zooming in when you're using the cannon. Let me explain better.

In the default zoom (Num 5 to center view and Num Enter to center zoom), one could move with trackIR 4 or 5 and get enlarged chunks of the cockpit.

But to actually enlarge the HUD, specially on gun runs, even if you stick your head to trackIR camera, you still have to zoom in to get a grips look on the targets 6 clicks or even 3 clicks ahead (the critical moments when you should have popped, shot and flared)..

If you played FC2, the Su-25 has all instruments and the HUD to one zoom level, meaning that trackIR zoom Z-axis works for both cockpit instruments and the HUD. If you stick your head to trackIR camera, in FC2, in a Su-25, you'll get a chunky HUD and cockpit instruments.

My question: Is there a similar fix to the A-10?

I think the A-10 is designed to be more sim pit compatible, meaning, that if you zoom in all the way to the HUD (Num *) and move the trackIR camera far away from you, and sit on a sim pit chair, like 1-2 meters far, you'd get that FC2 effect, but limited since the camera window has limitations for tracking.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The "fix" is to not have 6DoF... In FC2, there is no "real" 6DoF and thus that TrackIR axis is actually zoom, not "head forward".

The reason the HUD works like it does in A-10C does however not have anything to do with being SIM-pit friendly. Rather, it's all about actually being realistic - that's what a real HUD would end up "doing" when you move your head closer to it, since it is collimated to infinity.

Regarding gun runs, I think you are expecting a better look on the target than you would actually get. Typical firing range for anti-tank work should be to initiate your fires at 0.7nm slant range, break off at 0,4nm. What I typically do is that I investigate the target area with my TGP, figure out which of the dots I see with Mk 1 eyeball is the one I want, then I set up, align to my TGP indicator on the HUD, select the appropriate dot to aim for, and then I go in and kill it. :)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

in a10 control setup tir as follows.

Longitude shift camera view = trackir_z

gives you proper head movement.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

If you want that this works as in FC2 you have to remap the Z-axis of your Track-IR to the zoom axis inside the axis Controller-set-up of DCS.

(ahrr! :P norrised by G00dnight! )

But a much better way of having easy access to a fixed zoom for targeting purposes is to use a similar script like I describe in this post:

Zoom-In/Zomm-Out on PAC1 to make your life easier !

...So you don't have to fiddle around with a axis to switch between two zoom levels, and you can still keep the natural head movement inside the cockpit.

Edited by PeterP

I've stopped using it all along... I don't see any need for it any more... anything you want to find far away use TGP, up close you can find targets on passes and keep the location in sight as you turn to reingage.

No longer active in DCS...

Do real A10 pilots have a zoom button.I think not.

This game is what i call a proper sim so its not going to have a false zoom that you cant do with your own eyes

I agree - everybody knows real A-10 pilots only see the world through 1680x1050 pixels.

Nate

I agree - everybody knows real A-10 pilots only see the world through 1680x1050 pixels.

Nate

Wrong!

Why everyone just mix up the facts?!

The Charlie upgrade enabled the Pilots to see the world in true HD (1920x1080) - before the upgrade they only had 1680x1050 - so they had to carry a magnifying glass with them!

Edit: Who would be such a cheater to use the zoom -?- everybody knows that the Gau-8 can easily destroy a area of two-square pixels in a distance of 2miles ! - so no need for zooming!

Edited by PeterP

This game is what i call a proper sim so its not going to have a false zoom that you cant do with your own eyes

Nate

Yes, and real A-10 pilots also view the world at less than 1X magnification, like you will in game, if you never use zoom and have a normal-sized monitor, and sit the average distance in front of it.

Medic, you need to educate yourself more on this topic before you bash the way folks are playing. :no_sad:

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Also, you should uninstall the sim and never run it again if you die too.

Also, you should uninstall the sim and never run it again if you die too.

Now your just being stupid.

My intention was not to bash him it was just my view on this sim.

Everyone is free to play this game/sim how they like. am just saying try it without Zoom and the game will feel better for you, same with if you play in game mode i will always say try full on sim mode and once you get used to it you will have much better game play.

Oh and the the next step for me in this sim is to jump out my window with an umbrella if i ever have to eject again, just for the realism :megalol:

.....am just saying try it without Zoom and the game will feel better for you.....

You must also add that in doing so, you are putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage.

Why?

Your monitor is incapable of rendering what your eyes are capable of seeing. Zoom is a way of compensating for such disadvantage.

Then again, it's your SIM: Handicap yourself if that is what you want. You must however be careful advising others to do the same - handicapping themselves, that is.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Oh and the the next step for me in this sim is to jump out my window with an umbrella if i ever have to eject again, just for the realism :megalol:

It only feels right if you have a large person kicking you in the ass to propel you out of the window!!:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It only feels right if you have a large person kicking you in the ass to propel you out of the window!!biggrin.gif

I have installed a air-bag in my seat for exactly this propose...

So I make sure that I only enter a battle if it is really necessary and I have a good chance to bring the bird back to ground without the need of using the ejection seat!

And since the first test I prefer a virtual death more than a simulated ejection:

Edited by PeterP

so you saying that full zoom gives u the same feel as it would in a real A10.

If it is then ok i take back what a say. and that is in no way mean trying to be an ass asking u that.

av never been in a plane like that looking for targets and just assumed it was that hard.

If its not as hard as the sim makes it and the zoom does indeed make it go some way to look like it does in real then a will for sure use it

Dont give the wife ideas about kicking me out the window, am sure she has thought about it many times when am sat playing this great game

so you saying that full zoom gives u the same feel as it would in a real A10....

Well, given the fact that A-10 pilots utilize binoculars in-cockpit then the answer would be a definite yes. However, leaving the issue of RL bino use aside for a moment, it's not all-or-nothing zoom: There are varying stages inbetween, and yes, as stated before by those more learned and knowledgeable on the subject than me, zoom does go a far way towards alleviating the 'restrictions' we face sitting behind a monitor.

More than that I cannot give you - it has however all been written before. Look it up and you'll see.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I'm not sure if this will help people but I put a page together to help people make good gun runs:

http://mildlyalert.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/gun-runs-in-dcs-a-10c-brrrrrrrrrrrrrr/

Using the edited snap view you can quickly focus your screen on the HUD like a pilot tunnelling in...

I find gun runs much much easier using this.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

just one other thing not all of us playing have eyesight that comes close to the required standard for fast jet combat, so we need a bit of help, I don't see anything wrong in using help to let me play and enjoy the game instead of going round and round trying to hit a target getting more and more frustrated, And eventually binning the game and going back to portal2..

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

lol

You do realize that if you wanted the 'realistic' perspective of the cockpit, assuming you're sitting a normal distance from your monitor, you should zoom in so that the HUD takes up the majority of your screen...

...right?

Do you seriously think the HUD and MFDs are so god damn far forward that you can see all three just fine without moving your head?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

in a10 control setup tir as follows.

Longitude shift camera view = trackir_z

gives you proper head movement.

it is already mapped to trackIR_Z

But guys, I have a major problem now. TrackIR4 freezes. No amendments done to the profiler or the game mapping. In A10c I think it happened before, and I had to unplug it from USB, while the software was running, and plug it back in (only to be working for like short duration and without the blue light at the bottom of the camera (only green light atop).

Any ideas?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Double mapping with Pause key, perhaps? By default it was F9, switched it to Shift F9. *Actually that's center TIR, I believe I removed Pause TIR all together.

I'll have to check it, but I remember something like that once I corrected, tIR never froze again. I'll try and report back. I also tried the unmapping of trackIR Z off absolut longitudinal camera shift view, and now, I'm very pleased with firing the cannon. If only binos were implemented for the charlie hog pilot, but meh... we got TGP and somehow, I'll post a vid soon of my runs from far away.