DCS World - seriously bad framerate

Private-Cowboy

and even with all graphic options set to lowest....

Have you tried increasing the graphics options?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks for your reply, Viper!

I just tried it with "Medium" settings. No visible difference, still about 23 FPS. With "High" settings, my FPS drops further to 12.

I also tried "Medium" settings with HDR on, and got some 18 FPS.

My system specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 960T (3,0 GHz)

ATI Radeon HD 4600 with 1GB VRAM

8GB RAM

Win7 64bit

(nothing to be proud of :music_whistling:)

And I am suspicious that this is terrain issue. My performance is good when I'm looking towards the sky, worse when looking straight down towards the ground, and lowest when looking towards distant horizon.

Just saw your system specs and you are probably not going to like this, but I am fairly certain that your bottleneck at present is your GPU.

Again, do not take my word for it, but I am fairly certain that, while the SIM has always been predominantly CPU-dependant, it has definitely shifted focus as of late to utilize the GPU as well as CPU. As a consequence your GPU is a wee bitty dated, which might very well explain the issues you are having.

Other users have also reported a drastic FPS improvement when upgrading to semi-current/current GPU's, so that might be worth considering in your instance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am pretty aware of the limitations of my system, and I know I will have to buy a new one sooner or later. But what makes me really confused is the sudden FPS drop between versions.

Yes, my CPU limited me from playing big missions with lots of units (no pity, I suck at combat after all :)), but when just flying around or blowing up some tanks, 30FPS was no problem with decent settings.

Plus, some other person on this forum posted, that he had 85 FPS (so his system is on slightly different level than mine), and still got 50% FPS drop as me. So I thing there's something more to it.

Any chance getting my Pre-1.2.0 FPS back until I buy a new rig? Pretty please? :cry:

I am pretty aware of the limitations of my system, and I know I will have to buy a new one sooner or later. But what makes me really confused is the sudden FPS drop between versions.

As I said, there were developments to the engine (specifics escape me atm) that could explain why the FPS fluctuations you are experiencing between versions, as now highlighted by your dated GPU.

I can try and ascertain said specifics. Will however not solve your issue - a current GPU, now that might just. Have you tried fiddling with other GPU drivers?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I said, there were developments to the engine (specifics escape me atm) that could explain why the FPS fluctuations you are experiencing between versions, as now highlighted by your dated GPU.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. With every new patch and every new version getting performance drops CANNOT be normal or justified. It's the same terrain and the same graphics. Why would I cash out money for a new PC which might, the way things are going with the "updates", turn too slow to run the same sim in a year? Woud we get the same "You need to update your CPU/GPU" replies in a year - after having the same issues again?

This is a serious issue and it shouldn't be dismissed just like that. None of us here are cash cows and can't just buy and buy new hardware so often just because the software is not as optimised as it should be.

Edited by Kenan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

• 3 months later...

Yes, its apparent that instead of expanding software, DCS should instead take several months off to focus on making their sims playable. Maybe drop everything back down to the original Black Shark specs so that the more poverty stricken simmers can still play.

Course, that's only one man's opinion.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Just FYI, The thread's been dead for 3 months. :music_whistling:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Yes, its apparent that instead of expanding software, DCS should instead take several months off to focus on making their sims playable. Maybe drop everything back down to the original Black Shark specs so that the more poverty stricken simmers can still play.

Course, that's only one man's opinion.

I second that. First playability, then eye-candy. I still don't understand how people can play games with an FPS rate below 10 and then set everything to max and go... WOW... look at that explosion... oh WOW... if the entire system doesn't even run decent?

I my entire sim life (and that's from the beginning of flightsims), i had never the posibility to play the sims full maxed out due to hardware restrictions. And then when i finaly have the hardware available to run it decently, few years have past and sims have gone a few levels leaving me chasing again.

I always wondered how developers play (or better test) their games if the hardware they are developing the sim for at max settings, only becomes available on the market a few years later...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

We have been chasing our tails for yrs. when it comes to the "Hardware"/"Software" conundrum. Even in the Win98 days of yore.

And to date who was ready for "Crysis" or "Far Cry" when they hit the market? I do understand the Ne-Sayers point in this debate, being a

middle child I usualy look with unbiased eyes at an issue as I ponder

it.

The market is after all, Technology. Hence a continualy developing industy. And I am sure no one would have it any other way. (You mean xx company has the ability to market this or that and they aren't cause) I am sure we see the point. If it is avaialable I want it. (1080p, I don't know what that is, but I Wont it.). with those sort shorts and that sexy country twang, who can forget that commercial. Speaks to the point I think.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I second that. First playability, then eye-candy. I still don't understand how people can play games with an FPS rate below 10 and then set everything to max and go... WOW... look at that explosion... oh WOW... if the entire system doesn't even run decent?

Because people have been begging and hounding ED for it since 2005?

I my entire sim life (and that's from the beginning of flightsims), i had never the posibility to play the sims full maxed out due to hardware restrictions. And then when i finaly have the hardware available to run it decently, few years have past and sims have gone a few levels leaving me chasing again.

Isn't this how it is across the genre? Developers continue to push the envelope and hardware engineers play catch up? Back in the days, EF 2000 brought my pc to its knees while Flanker gave me occasional stutter.

I always wondered how developers play (or better test) their games if the hardware they are developing the sim for at max settings, only becomes available on the market a few years later...

Future proof? I think it's been made the norm that we expect to be able to play our sim or fps at max settings two years down the road. All you have to do is look around this forum to see people are asking for all kinds of effects be put in DCS that no pc today can handle. Number one is realistic explosion. You know the kind that rain debris and kick up massive dust cloud and body parts. Personally, I would like realistic rain. The kind that pound at the canopy to get in. I also want active carrier deck, grass that sway, and the list goes on.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Two years down the road? Maybe for those who cash out every six months for the lastest in hardware and even then. Just add a few years to those two before you really can play it like it was initially designed. Even those with the latest hardware.

The question then comes to mind: Would you trade playability for things like realistic rain (or other stuff) if in the end you can't play it at all (at max settings?). I don't see why so much development time goes into these things if the majority can't even see it (or can see it but then can't play it)?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I have a 3 years old computer with an upgraded GPU (GTX560 - 1 year, mid range) and I can play DCS on 3286x1080, window mode near max settings and if I use only one monitor, 1920x1080 and Fullscreen mode I can max almost everything. I have 35/40 average stable FPS.

I have flight mates with even older and must worst computers, some of them notebooks, that can run DCS with average to low settings with smooth FPS. Around 20/25 FPS average.

With so many reports of smooth play on so many kinds of computers I really don't understand how can you guys keep blaming ED for a very complex yet reasonably polished simulator.

Computer and games world is a complex one and is impossible to game makers to cope every problem around like drivers, diferent hardware, etc.

I'm 100% sure that the majoraty of problems reported here can be solved with the right tuning on same computer on this same game.

Edited by alexbap

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

I

I'm 100% sure that the majoraty of problems reported here can be solved with the right tuning on same computer on this same game.

How to tune DCS World so that it runs smooth?

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I play DCS 1.2.1 at max settings on 2 years old hardware, with graphics component being mid-range even then. (And that's with an extra screen, windowed mode, aero active.)

There is no reason to expect that everyone should be able to max out the graphics settings.

So I'm not sure what the problem is here. It is eminently possible to max out DCS World, as-is, on quite cheap hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Runs fine for me. My old monitor can just handle 1680x1050, that might be a reason?

But computer is 2½ years at least, and wasn't top of the line when I got it even! (Spec in sig!)

EDIT->Aero on.. else it's crappy as hell! most settings full

CPU i7-6700K 4,3Ghz, RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666M 2x16GB, GPU Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 1080, Monitor Benq 24" 1920x1080 @ 144Hz, MB ASUS Z170-A, OS Win 10 Pro (Creators ED), HOTAS X52 Pro, VR Oculus Rift Cv1

I am running DCS:W on notebook equiped with an A6-3420M CPU overcloked to 2.5GHz and an AMD 7670M. The problem is, I get 15fps on lowest settings :( Is there a way to make it smooth on this notebook?

Most likely problem is highlighted.

Also, ensure that your game is actually using the 7670 and not the 6520 onboard the A6. You might have various "smart" (which is code-word for "stupid") software preinstalled or integrated into drivers that is meant to govern power-efficiency which ends up blocking you from using the discrete GPU in any game that isn't recognized by said "smart" software.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No, I have a "normal" version of W7 installed. No useless Acer software. Game is using 7670.

Using k10stat I overclocked CPU to 2500MHz on all cores - performance boost is noticeable - BFBC2 is smooth on med/high, Cinebench multi-thread performance (something around 2.95pts) comparable to i5-3210M. Of course single-thread performance about 30-40% lower.

XXJohnxx or anybody else. If you want help you have to show us your sytem and game and GPU drivers settings.

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

• 1 month later...
I am running DCS:W on notebook equiped with an A6-3420M CPU overcloked to 2.5GHz and an AMD 7670M. The problem is, I get 15fps on lowest settings :( Is there a way to make it smooth on this notebook?

If your laptop is one of those that has to run with Enduro, your problem is larger due to AMD drivers and Enduro. Get Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 (and keep updating as they come out)

Otherwise, also the AMD driver will help, but DCS in general seems to run like crap especially on AMD cards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]