Radio Problems - Why wont they work?

Hi All.

Been playing DCS since Blackshark, and I have ALWAYS found radios ( even on easy comunication ) REALLY, REALLY flakey.

At the moment, in A10C I'm not having luck with contacting ATC, or Ground Crew reliably. At the moment:

1) Setup radios to correct frequencies

2) hit / for the comms menu

3) Up on screen comes 'Interphone' followed my 'MAIN', then all the comms options.

4) Select ATC for the correct airport

5) request.... anything .... nothing.

In single player campaign I cannot talk to my wingman or anyone else, ever since 1.2.. . . . with easy comms selected. Tried in sim mode by changing the selector dial on the Interphone and still not joy.

I know very few new players that can use the radios reliably.

Can anyone advise:

1) If this is glitched since 1.2?

2) Have hidden 'steps' been introduced I dont know about?

3) Is there a post on this very topic I've missed; and

4) is there a 'Search' function in these forums?

Regardless, whatever I try, doesn't work reliably. And this has been the way of it since the original Blackshark. Is there really no way to simplify and make in-game comms more reliable.

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers,

Ghoull

Edited by Ghoullees

Just on this same theme (Radio menus), to the best of my knowledge/ searching, there is currently no working clickable radio menu for DCSW and also I understand that VAC does not work in DCSW either (something to do with a different structure)? Am I correct on both those points?

If someone can point me to a clickable radio menu mod for DCSW or how to set up VAC for DCSW, I would really appreciate it. Pressing the Function keys all over again is a real pain.

If someone can point me to a clickable radio menu mod for DCSW

Here:Drag/Drop and Click-able Radio Communication menu only for 1.1.1.1 !!!!

And now the punchline:

It doesn't work any-more in 1.2.0 and no known fix for it.

BTW : using "clickable radio menu" in the forum search would bring you this result within seconds...

And here is what "VAC DCS warthog" brought up:

Profiles directory (HOTAS, TrackIR, TouchBuddy, VAC etc.)

VAC profile and WIN keys for DCS: A-10c

VAC Profile Generator + DCS:BS2 & DCS:A-10C Profiles

Vac profile for DCS: A-10C

... there are many more ... but I thought I stop it now :)

Edited by PeterP

Hi All.

At the moment, in A10C I'm not having luck with contacting ATC, or Ground Crew reliably. At the moment:

1) Setup radios to correct frequencies

2) hit / for the comms menu

3) Up on screen comes 'Interphone' followed my 'MAIN', then all the comms options.

4) Select ATC for the correct airport

5) request.... anything .... nothing.

In single player campaign I cannot talk to my wingman or anyone else, ever since 1.2.. . . . with easy comms selected. Tried in sim mode by changing the selector dial on the Interphone and still not joy.

Ghoull

Is your selector dial on the Intercom panel correctly set to VHF.

It's on the left console, where all the radio volume dials and buttons are.

The big rotary dial, should be set to VHF to talk via radio. While talking to ground crew, it should be set to Int.

Sounds like it is set to INT.

Also check your radio is turned on.

And if using realistic radios, i think it is necessary to use the Mic switch on the throttle. (Not sure if "/" works on realistic).

Edited by Runibl
  • Like 1

Runi. "IceCat"

Printable A5 F/A-18C Checklist

Win 10 Pro 64bit, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, Intel Core I7 9700K @4.7 - 4.9 GHz,

Nvidia Asus GeForce GTX 1080TI 11Gb, G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 C16 DC - 32GB (2x(2x8Gb)), Samsung 870 NVME + Multiple Samsung 850 & 860 EVO SSDs, Dell P2414H & U2414H Monitors.

I use the cheat in the options to have "easy communication" and was still having troubles. Found out that i also had to use the "radio assist" in the options. Can talk to anyone i want to now except for the ground crew...maybe i am just in the wrong place to use the last option.

In my case for ground crew you need to be on intercom OR have the canopy open (a bit is enough) otherwise they wont answer.

For ATC issues...just don't use easy coms.

There is nothing harder without easy.

Use the according radio/mic switch/button to your radio and frq. and it should work.

(its probably mic button/switch "down" for your wingman in SP)

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

i use Left ALT and NUM+,

sometimes they answer, sometimes they dont.. in regards to ATC at least.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

i use Left ALT and NUM+,

sometimes they answer, sometimes they dont.. in regards to ATC at least.

yeah they can be moody :)

And extremely lazy too!

Sometimes when some little debris are on the runway they just keep everybody from landing or taking off and just bitch around...but nobody walks out and picks it up. :D

So ask yourself if you maybe took off without permission the day before or something when they don't answer you.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

-->

yeah they can be moody :)

And extremely lazy too!

Sometimes when some little debris are on the runway they just keep everybody from landing or taking off and just bitch around...but nobody walks out and picks it up. :D

So ask yourself if you maybe took off without permission the day before or something when they don't answer you.

Sometimes I radio them for start up/taxi/takeoff, and they never respond, so I proceed with startup procedure, close canopy, get all the stuff on, and start to taxi anyway, then the ATC starts talking.

i only had one mission where they were prompt, asked for clearance, got it, taxi, ask for take off, got it, departed, took out some tanks, told them I was inbound, they acknowledged, lined up at the end of the runway, asked for clearance to land, got it, landed, and got taxi instructions.

every other mission seems like it was triggered by events/hotzones.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Is there a friendly unit on the airfield? If there isnt there will not be ground crew or ATC. Do you have the dials set to TR on the VHF and SINCGARS radios? Do you have the VHF radio set to AM or MAN? Is the SINCGARS radio set to FM? Is the UHF radio set to BOTH? Are the frequencies set correctly?

These are all things to consider/do. Also, radios will not work unil the APU is running and the APU GEN switch is ON. I've never been able to get the radios to work on the battery alone, but then again I've never tried. Might be a thing to check if someone else doesn't already know.

i noticed that too, radio menu is greyed out until APU / APU Gen is on, also noticed its quiet until that point, once APU/APUGen is on, I hear radio traffic from AI.

Thankyou all for your input and offers.

I have to say that I am aware of everything that has been suggested, with the exception of the radio assist button ( pretty sure that is on but will check ), and also I may need to map some radion transmit buttons to keys. Until now, I have been using function keys only.

At present, still not luck, and no consistency with radios. Have to say this has been an issue since early versions of DCS-Anything. Radio programing (ATC or JTAC) is pretty poor, and a known and accepted BANE for map makers too.

Hi Runibl,

Yes it is. I've tried every combination of setting Intercom and VHF that there is and nothing will make the radios work.

My last port of call is to make sure frequency changes are done slowly, and perhaps map some Mic switches ( as I don't have a Warthog stick, I've never bothered to map these ).

Cheers for the attempted assist.

Hi Runibl,

Yes it is. I've tried every combination of setting Intercom and VHF that there is and nothing will make the radios work.

My last port of call is to make sure frequency changes are done slowly, and perhaps map some Mic switches ( as I don't have a Warthog stick, I've never bothered to map these ).

Cheers for the attempted assist.

Post a trk file? Might be helpful.

Are your problems ONLY with simple comms? I've had no issues at all with realistic comms. they work just fine.

Hello,

I also had the issue with radios not working right or only sometimes since 1.2

I fixed it by doing what was stated on page 1, 8th post. (copying a line into your keyboard.config. Fixed it for me. Or at least rebinding comms to the new SPU-9 PTT command.

There is a new keybind. I had gone from 1.1.1.1 on KA-50 and A-10 and I had even thought that I had deleted my old /save/dcs directory with my old configs but it seems after a fresh install of DCS World and the 1.2 modules I still needed this fix. Not sure if I just missed the new bind but the old default one didnt work.

Default the KA-50 was set to \ bound to Communications Menu in Radio Communications. That is the old setting from before the new working radio.

Now you want your key bound to SPU-9 PTT under INS Collective settings.

The old one works on ground and flaky in air (old missions some still work which throws you off.)

I do not believe you need to add the line specified from the post that the 8th post relates to unless you are using an old pre 1.2 config. As long as the SPU-9 PTT line is in your config and you can bind to it you should be ok.

:beer:

Edited by Chromius

i noticed that too, radio menu is greyed out until APU / APU Gen is on, also noticed its quiet until that point, once APU/APUGen is on, I hear radio traffic from AI.

The documentation for the A-10 states that the UHF comm and the Intercom are powered via the battery while the VHF comms are powered by the apu/engines. I dont know whether this works in the sim as it should be. I never had any problem using the realistic comms except for long response times of jtacs in MP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sometimes I radio them for start up/taxi/takeoff, and they never respond, so I proceed with startup procedure, close canopy, get all the stuff on, and start to taxi anyway, then the ATC starts talking.

i only had one mission where they were prompt, asked for clearance, got it, taxi, ask for take off, got it, departed, took out some tanks, told them I was inbound, they acknowledged, lined up at the end of the runway, asked for clearance to land, got it, landed, and got taxi instructions.

every other mission seems like it was triggered by events/hotzones.

yes I have that since A10C beta in at least 80% of cases I have to do things before ATC answers me :)

request start up? ..silence...I start up.."clear for start up

request taxi...silence...I start rolling..."you are cleared for taxi

I just got used to do it while I'm asking :D

Moments in DCS:

-->

yes I have that since A10C beta in at least 80% of cases I have to do things before ATC answers me :)

request start up? ..silence...I start up.."clear for start up

request taxi...silence...I start rolling..."you are cleared for taxi

I just got used to do it while I'm asking :D

I think this means the ATC didn't hear your question. I noticed that when you aren't asking anything the ATC will give you the permission to startup and taxi and takeoff without your question when you start doing these things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I don't change the procedure compared to when it works.

Also sometimes they answer for start up but not for taxi etc. ...I don't know maybe they have a weak bladder and run to the restroom all the time.

If you got taxi permission and roll on the runway they give you permission without that you asked for that's true but do they give taxi permission if you don't ask for it?

Not sure...would have to try.

Moments in DCS:

-->

I get the same thing Ghoullees, radio comms with ATC or ground crew is flakey at best, sometimes I'll get permission to start-up other times I only get the permission after I've started up, same with permission to taxi and take-off, ATC always seem to direct me towards the final leg and then ask me to contact tower once I'm in visual but NEVER have I been given permission to land when asking for it, only when I'm almost on the tarmac do they give permission to land but they always order me off the tarmac once landed.

I don't use the "easy comms" setting, I use the HOTAS Warthog mic switch to select the different radios.

I'm amazed that some of you don't seem to ever have a problem with radios because from my perspective radios/ATC are completely buggered.

Can't wait till they get fixed, it's a real immersion breaker when they don't.

Edited by theBLACK77
  • Like 1

Win7 x64 | i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz | Z68A-D3-B3 | 8GB RAM | GTX 570 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Pro Combat Pedals | ROCCAT Kone [+] Mouse | G510 Keyboard | TIR5

I get the same thing Ghoullees, radio comms with ATC or ground crew is flakey at best, sometimes I'll get permission to start-up other times I only get the permission after I've started up, same with permission to taxi and take-off, ATC always seem to direct me towards the final leg and then ask me to contact tower once I'm in visual but NEVER have I been given permission to land when asking for it, only when I'm almost on the tarmac do they give permission to land but they always order me off the tarmac once landed.

I don't use the "easy comms" setting, I use the HOTAS Warthog mic switch to select the different radios.

I'm amazed that some of you don't seem to ever have a problem with radios because from my perspective radios/ATC are completely buggered.

Can't wait till they get fixed, it's a real immersion breaker when they don't.

landing permission is really some kind of broken. As far as i know you only get landing permission if you are close enough to touchdown. Once you are that close you automatically get permission. That's why i never ask for landing permission.

All other things like startup, taxi, takeoff and inbound work just well. When starting up i always make sure that i turn on every radio correctly and tune it to the correct freq. Next important thing is that you can hear ATC if you are on interphone but ATC can't hear you.

Same with the Ground Crew. You can always hear them if your radios are on. But you can only talk to them by having the radios on and the dial to interphone. If your canopy is open they will probably hear you if your dial is not on interphone but you should have your radios on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To make your UI a bit wider and so a bit easier to read without double line crop-up you can do a very small modification.

Standard its on 240px wide. Thats a bit too small. Right now im using a 400 px setting which clears the major visual problems with it.

File: C:/DCS World/Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua

- Save a copy of the original file with another name like CommandMenu_ORIGINAL_120.lua

- Open CommandMenu.lua with Notepad ++\

- Line 55: change 240 into 400 and save the file.

- Enjoy