Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

The developer has asked the general public not to buy the DK2 prototype as the consumer version will be better in every way. That said it hasn't stopped thousands in the general public, like myself, buying the prototype as the consumer version is atleast a year away. Best guess is a year and half away, the end of 2015. I'm sure I will enjoy more than a few hundred dollars worth of entertainment value with the prototype before I buy the consumer version.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the largest risk of buying a DK2 if you care to use it for a long time is that there may not be any long term commitment to it. From the day that CV1 is released the DK2 may not be compatible with the SDK's that are released.

You may be lumped with a unit that you thought you could use for longer as your backup or on a second pc. As we have found with new DK's there have been new SDK's that are not backwards compatible and I wouldn't have any expectation that when CV1 is released that any new software using the SDK's from that time forward will ever work on the DK2.

I would imagine most everyone that is buying the DK2 now, are fully aware of the prototypes longevity, and feature issues, and are planing to buy the consumer version on release as well. Some will sell their DK2 a few months before the CV1 release too recoup some of the cost.

Good news - 1.2.9 should introduce DK2 support and it is nearing release. Hopefully that means not much waiting around for those who are in the first batch of shipments. I hope I'm one of them!

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Good news - 1.2.9 should introduce DK2 support and it is nearing release. Hopefully that means not much waiting around for those who are in the first batch of shipments. I hope I'm one of them!

can you please link to where you saw this info.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

can you please link to where you saw this info.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154430712040341&id=441639040340 EDIT: in the comments

On a side note DK1 owners may want to avoid the 1.2.9 update. If it is using a DK2 SDK then DK1 support may no longer work.

Edited by Frusheen
Additional info

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The SDK does not change current games and demos on your hard disk.

That's not what I meant. If you update DCS to DK2 compatability (1.2.9) then the DK1 may not work in game anymore as DCS will be using the newer SDK. I wasn't t referring to existing DK1 games and demos.

I researched it further and it seems DK1 will still work with software compiled for DK2 (just without DK2 exclusive features). The reason I flagged it as a possible issue is that 1.2.9 will likely be available before many of us have our DK2. Anyway it seems to be a non issue so disregard.

Just curious, while i wait for my dk2 i decided to run dcs on stereo mode with my 1080p display to see the potential impact of fps as compared to normal 1080p. It is significant. I see about 20 fps drop. I really hope EDGE helps improve fps, if not I may have to upgrade my 680 GTX :-/

Just curious, while i wait for my dk2 i decided to run dcs on stereo mode with my 1080p display to see the potential impact of fps as compared to normal 1080p. It is significant. I see about 20 fps drop. I really hope EDGE helps improve fps, if not I may have to upgrade my 680 GTX :-/

Turn off the mirrors, these tend to be performance killers, especially in stereo. Also turning off HDR could help.

Just received an update to my DK2 Pre Order.

Date: Mar 19, 2014 08:34 AM PDT

Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Note: If you have multiple items in the order, it might also indicate that the remaining items are still waiting to be shipped.

It's starting. :) Now not too sure if I will get one with the first batch or the next one as the description above doesn't say, but I don't think it will be long now. Just hope my PC will be able to run DCS good enough with it.

Just in time for the Sabre and Dora as well. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Just received an update to my DK2 Pre Order.

Date: Mar 19, 2014 08:34 AM PDT

Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Note: If you have multiple items in the order, it might also indicate that the remaining items are still waiting to be shipped.

It's starting. :) Now not too sure if I will get one with the first batch or the next one as the description above doesn't say, but I don't think it will be long now. Just hope my PC will be able to run DCS good enough with it.

Just in time for the Sabre and Dora as well. :)

Cowboy10uk

Congratulations! :)

On what day did you pre-ordered DK2?

For me and for the other guys from Russia news is not so good - DK2 delivery to Russia is suspended :(

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

For me and for the other guys from Russia news is not so good - DK2 delivery to Russia is suspended :(

That's news to me. I thought Oculus only suspended orders bound for China...?? I'm hoping you'll get yours soon...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

That's news to me. I thought Oculus only suspended orders bound for China...?? I'm hoping you'll get yours soon...

Thx, I also hoping that get it soon...

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10594

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Congratulations! :)

On what day did you pre-ordered DK2?

First Day of pre order. March 19th at 08:34.

Sorry to hear yours have been suspended. Fingers crossed that gets sorted out soon, otherwise I'm guessing it may have a effect on DK2 integration with DCS. Isn't the studio based in Russia?? Would hate ED, not to be able to get their hands on a DK2.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'm sure ED will get one the same way they got the DK1. However that may have been! But it may take a while!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I'm sure ED will get one the same way they got the DK1. However that may have been! But it may take a while!

I'm fairly sure they already have them. They've stated they were testing DK2 integration in 1.2.9. I posted the link a few days ago.

Update, it's now showing as shipped. :) happy happy happy days.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update, it's now showing as shipped. :) happy happy happy days.

Cowboy10uk

Mine is on the way also. I hope we won't be playing the waiting game for 1.2.9 to have support for it in dcs? I can't take much more waiting! Haha

Mine is on the way also. I hope we won't be playing the waiting game for 1.2.9 to have support for it in dcs? I can't take much more waiting! Haha

DCS already has Rift Support.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs