Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like dk2 already and enjoy free flight and starting/landing with the rift.

But for aircraft spotting you will need really high resolution.

DCS is not only combat simulator for me. I enjoy free flight also.

I am shocked ;-) how difficult it is to spot ac in the rift right now. Perhaps a better "enlarged" option or labels will be a VR workaround for spotting till resolution will get high enough in perhaps 5 years time.

But for now:

rift for flight

4k for fight

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

DK1 res = 512000 pixels per eye

DK2 res = 1036800 pixels per eye (a little better than a 720p display)

CV1 res = 1296000 pixels per eye (comparable to a 900p display)

as a comparison

480P = 307,200 pixels

720p = 921,600 pixels

1080p = 2,073,600 pixels

So it wont be bad, but it just wont be great.

remember that your card will have to be able to handle 2 ~900p displays at 90 FPS..

remember that your card will have to be able to handle 2 ~900p displays at 90 FPS..

That's why I'm upgrading to Skylake and then waiting for pascal. I'll stick with my Geforce 970 until pascal is released now. But I did think Nvidia spoke about having two cards running a screen each . Anymore news on that?

I've just realized, I'm going to be spending hugh amounts of money in the next year :helpsmilie:

Edited by joebloggs

For all the statements being made in this thread the posts probably need to be a bit more technical. GPUZ is convenient for sharing your video card specs and it doesn't make mistakes or omissions.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2524/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-8-5/

Sample Output (click the teh camea in the top right corner and upload to free sharing site)

t92.png

Specify what methodology you are using to measure framerate - I would have thought we were all using the DCS fps display but that isn't the case.

I am also pretty sure that "some" Nvidia settings can control the way things are rendered for the Rift. Some people say that directmode means Nvidia settings don't matter - but I don't think that is correct. It might be more configurable than you think. If people are using 3rd party tools that overrride defaults this might be especially true.

If you are an Nvidia Engineer please feel free to enlighten us on this matter.

did a bit of fiddling last night and I noticed the following.

if you have "one monitor " selected for the rift you get 150fps

if you have "stereo " selected you get 75fps.

in 1.2

stereo was the way to go but in 1.5 I have found its smoother using one monitor ( are you guys using monitor or stereo? )

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

DK1 res = 512000 pixels per eye

DK2 res = 1036800 pixels per eye (a little better than a 720p display)

CV1 res = 1296000 pixels per eye (comparable to a 900p display)

as a comparison

480P = 307,200 pixels

720p = 921,600 pixels

1080p = 2,073,600 pixels

But on the Rift the game has to show a view of around 90 degrees, what makes everything very small.

Guys this debate about resolution has been hashed out before. You need to look at pixels per degree not overall pixels. Just counting pixels on a 2d monitor and comparing to the rift is pointless as it does not account for lenses and FOV.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Hi Gents,

Don’t mean to change the subject too much, but just picked up the Rift DK2 and wondering if you can guide me to any tutorials for setting up with DCS this weekend. Running a GTX 980TI.

-Rick

Rick,

- Install the 0.7 oculus runtime and setup your IPD via the configuration utility.

- launch DCS and select auto detect oculus rift then exit.

- Right click on DCS icon go to properties and set it to launch in vista compatibility mode.

- launch DCS and put on your rift.

- press right ctrl and pause keys to show FPS. Adjust graphics options to get 150FPS and enjoy.

Colour saturation is currently off. The bug was reported and a fix is coming. EDIT: fixed! :-)

Edited by Frusheen

That's why I'm upgrading to Skylake and then waiting for pascal. I'll stick with my Geforce 970 until pascal is released now. But I did think Nvidia spoke about having two cards running a screen each . Anymore news on that?

I've just realized, I'm going to be spending hugh amounts of money in the next year :helpsmilie:

im in the same boat.. may not need skylake (2600K & 980x owner here) but definitely i need pascal and its 3d stack mem tech!!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Rick,

- Install the 0.7 oculus runtime and setup your IPD via the configuration utility.

- launch DCS and select auto detect oculus rift then exit.

- Right click on DCS icon go to properties and set it to launch in vista compatibility mode.

- launch DCS and put on your rift.

- press right ctrl and pause keys to show FPS. Adjust graphics options to get 150FPS and enjoy.

Colour saturation is currently off. The bug was reported and a fix is coming. EDIT: fixed! :-)

Thank you so kindly!

Hotfix 2 just released, I no longer need the vista compatibility mode workaround and the colour saturation is fixed, looks great! :thumbup:

As far as I can tell this statement is wrong. There is no mention in the patch notes about a crash fix for Dk2 and I'm still crashing even running vista compatibility mode now. The color issue is fixed, but certainly not the crashes.

DCS 1.5 Oculus Rift DK2 performance

I have an i7-3770 3.4ghz quad core and a Nvidia GTX 980ti superclocked. Here is my experience with performance in the DK2 in the DCS 1.5 Beta:

Mig-21 performance is atrocious. It's by far the worst and is absolutely unplayable even on my 980 ti superclocked - the fastest card you could possibly buy. If I turn every single graphics setting to its absolute lowest level I get on average 30 fps in the 'takeoff' instant action scenario. The other scenarios are similar in fps.

The other aircraft modules don't work very well either and even keeping a steady 75 fps on medium graphics settings is not possible when flying low near cities. Some of the modules like the Mig-15 and F-86 run pretty well on medium settings some of the time though.

Shadows - even the lowest setting - are a huge performance loss and have to be turned off completely.

If ED implements asynchronous time warp we should see a roughly 80-90% increase in performance. When I played the FlyInside FSX demo, asynchronous time warp would maintain a steady 75 fps even though my actual performance would dip down to 40 fps. Below 40 fps it could not hold 75 fps.

If anyone has any tips or tweaks please post them here. I'm always looking for anything that will boost my fps in the DK2.

Edited by JaySmizzle

Yo JaySmizz.

I think DCS 1.5 Beta might already be using are using Async timewarp. The way that DCS measures frames you need to be getting 150fps for perfectly smooth VR. When you drop below 150fps I think Timewarp is being used.

Check the last few pages of this thread for details. TLDR ... Press RCTRL-PAUSEBREAK to see DCS fps displayed.

VR is very demanding and shadows are VERY heavy especially in a pit like the Mig-21 which has the most polygons of any DCS pit.

Edited by vicx

Yo JaySmizz.

I think DCS 1.5 Beta might already be using are using Async timewarp. The way that DCS measures frames you need to be getting 150fps for perfectly smooth VR. When you drop below 150fps I think Timewarp is being used.

Check the last few pages of this thread for details. TLDR ... Press RCTRL-PAUSE to see DCS fps displayed.

VR is very demanding and shadows are VERY heavy especially in a pit like the Mig-21 which has the most polygons of any DCS pit.

What pause key do you mean? Which key are you referring to on the keyboard?

If anyone has any tips or tweaks please post them here. I'm always looking for anything that will boost my fps in the DK2.

You could try this.

post-60310-13764597088799.jpg

Yo JaySmizz.

Check the last few pages of this thread for details. TLDR ... Press RCTRL-PAUSEBREAK to see DCS fps displayed.

I don't think it is using timewarp vicx. The judder would not be so bad below 150 frames if it was. I kinda suspect it may be using super sampling though. The image clarity has improved so much since 1.2 it looks higher resolution.

for me all problems are fixed:

uninstall OC runtime

uninstall NVIDIA drivers

clean up System (CCleaner)

make sure dcs OB is clean

install OC runtime

before reinstall NVIDIA drivers: Stop OC Service, kill all OC stuff in task manager

set NVIDIA controlpanel to global-> Performance

run dcs still in vista sp2 mode and vsync off

game all day long :)

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

for me all problems are fixed:

uninstall OC runtime

uninstall NVIDIA drivers

clean up System (CCleaner)

make sure dcs OB is clean

install OC runtime

before reinstall NVIDIA drivers: Stop OC Service, kill all OC stuff in task manager

set NVIDIA controlpanel to global-> Performance

run dcs still in vista sp2 mode and vsync off

game all day long :)

I wouldn't say the problem is fixed if you have to resort to doing all what you have done. I also don't see how "stopping the OC Service and killing all OC stuff in task manager" would make a difference to the Rift working or not. Also, what do you mean when you say make sure the OB is clean? Do you mean Oculus Beta?

Edit: I just tried what you did and at times I still get crashes when mission is loading. So for me this still isn't fixed. I think ED need to at-least recognize there is a problem by confirming this in the Crash Bug section of 1.5.

Edited by joebloggs