Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I'm looking forward to Oculus V1 but at the moment I'm having a blast with DK2. Turn everything to low or off and stay away from the cities.

I like to go 1v1 guns only over the desert, absolute blast. Lazy guys/girls won't like because its difficult work. You must twist around hard to keep sight, just like in real life dogfighting, minuse the g forces, sweat burning your eyes, helmet and mask pulling on your head and face. Most people wouldn't like stress of real aerial combat. Same goes for real auto racing.

For those I recommend sticking to your flat screen or whatever you do with your thumbs on your iphone. :D:D

/R

Daniel

Racing with the Oculus is fantastic! I'm pretty active in sim racing as some may know, and the Oculus puts me in the car, on the track, in the action. For flying, it's unreal...surely I sound like a fanboi, but investing in VR is the way to make your gaming come alive.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disputing that Derek, the question is which VR set up will give us the best experience and value for money?

It'll be the whole VHS/Betamax situation for a year or two I guess, so it might be wise to wait a while before spending on something that may be very quickly superseded and obsolete.

Been using DK2 with Iracing since implemented, LOVE IT. Could it be better? You bet.

I'm using an IONI based DYI wheel, Simexperience transducer setup, Obutto cockpit , and

Main pedals. I was gonna buy your pedals but I like the way the Main pedals fastened to the Obutto.

R/

Daniel

75fps is the stereoscopic refresh rate required for dk2. For example for me to have 75fps (all the time) in dk2 with Nevada my settings when rendered in non rift mode show fps of about 180-200

This was the kind of info im looking for.

so basically in order to have a quality DCS experience on the rift,

your computer actually has to run 180 fps minimum running DCS on a normal monitor.....

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I was one of the very lucky ones who is getting one for free since I was in the top 200 on Kickstarter... I wasn't expecting Oculus to give away rift's, but gives more more cash for a better Pc. However, I would have bought one anyway... much better investment than monitors!

Edited by Flim

your computer actually has to run 180 fps minimum running DCS on a normal monitor.....

I don't think so and that's never going to happen anyway. Even 90fps is a stretch imo. Some kind of asynch timewarp will be needed for most games similar to the kind used by flyinside for fsx.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I was one of the very lucky ones who is getting one for free since I was in the top 200 on Kickstarter... I wasn't expecting Oculus to give away rift's, but gives more more cash for a better Pc. However, I would have bought one anyway... much better investment than monitors!

:thumbup:

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Yes. In the dk2 with the current rift implementation and alpha state of Nevada. I'm including the Vegas strip in my numbers which is a lot harder on the system than flying out in the desert. Of course as VR matures and with it EDs implementation of the runtime improves this requirement will change. As we stand currently that is about the fps needed on a 1080p monitor for a smooth dk2 experience on all of the map EDIT: should say with my particular setup.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Gyus, I've been told that even if you wear OR you still see borders of the screen.

Where is the truth, is the picture layered on your eye fully? I mean does it completely separate you from external world, whenever you would look your eyeball?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Anyone else disappointed in the Rift price tag?

Saw that the price tag for the Oculus Rift has been announced... $600, and it comes bundled with a bunch of hardware and software I have no use for...

Here's hoping HTC and Valve get the price point right with their offering...

The Oculus combined with the Tesla suit what a combination for DCS feel the effects of G through the suit just brings another dimension, seen here http://www.teslasuit.com/

Its one thing being in VR but to e feel what the pilot goes through thats a whole new level of amazing.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Yes. In the dk2 with the current rift implementation and alpha state of Nevada. I'm including the Vegas strip in my numbers which is a lot harder on the system than flying out in the desert. Of course as VR matures and with it EDs implementation of the runtime improves this requirement will change. As we stand currently that is about the fps needed on a 1080p monitor for a smooth dk2 experience on all of the map EDIT: should say with my particular setup.

what CPU and GPU are you running? thanks for sharing ur experience, btw

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

what CPU and GPU are you running? thanks for sharing ur experience, btw

You're welcome Hannibal

Windows 7

i7 4770k overclocked at 4.2Ghz

GTX 980ti overclocked at 1.5Ghz

8Gb of ram

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The Oculus combined with the Tesla suit what a combination for DCS feel the effects of G through the suit just brings another dimension, seen here http://www.teslasuit.com/

Its one thing being in VR but to e feel what the pilot goes through thats a whole new level of amazing.

i love the suit :) one day maybe :music_whistling:

Saw that the price tag for the Oculus Rift has been announced... $600, and it comes bundled with a bunch of hardware and software I have no use for...

Here's hoping HTC and Valve get the price point right with their offering...

Hey, i think the price shocked a lot of people as the hype/rumor engine mentioned this fictitious low price lol. ( not helped by Oculus tho)

for me the price is good value for all the development and time which has gone into the product.

Could i do with our the ridiculous additional games and controller- yes. But the price would have been about the same anyway, maybe $50 less. The only pain is the purchase of the oculus touch controllers as an addition, this really annoyed me,,, as they are going to be an expensive.

In regards to the HTC Vive, the price for this will be over $800 bucks easy, think about that for a sec :huh: you have the controllers within the package itself (meaning additional costs = higher price then the rift) and the additional camera....

i think they nailed the price to be honest.

(please dont shoot me lol)

Beware guys!

It appears ASUS motherboards USB 3.0 and others USB ports are incompatible with Oculus. That's a lot of boards.

There are more brands that don't work too. Also be careful about PCIE cards as a work around. Some of them might not work either. You will have to buy them and test them to see if they work.

This one is recommended by Oculus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

Whew! My EVGA Classified 4-way passed with flying colors.

Thanks for the heads up.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You're welcome Hannibal

Windows 7

i7 4770k overclocked at 4.2Ghz

GTX 980ti overclocked at 1.5Ghz

8Gb of ram

I should probably check this myself, but do you know aprox, what is your cpu and gpu utilisation with DK2 compared to single screen?

If you are not already at the limit, try increasing the cpu frequency a bit more, when you are near a city all those buildings need to go through cpu first.

i7 at 4.2 should be good enough for DCS in rift, it probably takes time to tweak the engine for VR so I'm sure you'll see improvements in the future.

Also, you can't buy much faster cpu than your, and oculus baseline is i5@ 3.7ghz max...

i love the suit :) one day maybe :music_whistling:

I'd be happy with this :)

With Oculus, or HD projector, I'm not a big a fan of tripple monitors

My current specs:

i5 4690k @ 4.6

Win 8.1 64

8 gig ram 2400

970 nvida 3.5 ram

SSD

Mission free flight f15c:

1080p ~ 140fps

Oculus almost solid 75 very minor drops below, very playable.

Mission cold start f15c:

1080p ~ 94-60 varies as I scan around.

Oculus solid 37 fps interesting that is ~ half of 75. Not playable.

Almost everthing on low or off msaa4x.

One thing of interest I get studder if the Oculus is hooked via the HDMI adapter instead of directly to the videocard's HDMI port.

I have a 980ti coming tomorrow and will post the differences.

R/

Daniel

Beware guys!

It appears ASUS motherboards USB 3.0 and others USB ports are incompatible with Oculus. That's a lot of boards.

There are more brands that don't work too. Also be careful about PCIE cards as a work around. Some of them might not work either. You will have to buy them and test them to see if they work.

This one is recommended by Oculus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

Interesting, I have an Asus motherboard and have wondered if I had enough USB3 ports, as I have a mixture of USB2 and 3 ports. Luckily after a little research I found out that the four blue USB ports on the back of the motherboard are USB 3.

I hadn't heard about the compatibility issues, so I downloaded the test from Oculus, and thankfully my Asus motherboard passed, with the obvious exception of my 580 GTX. So far things are working out well for me, my cataract surgery is scheduled just before I receive the Rift in March. It should also help me notice my spelling errors, that you enjoy pointing out, maybe one of the reason my muscle memory works well. :thumbup:

The only thing I need is a new gpu. I'm hoping the Pascal gpus, or even an AMD equivalent gpu comes out before the second half of 2016. I don't want to buy the 980TI unless I have too.

My 6700K machine passes the test no issue but my 2600K machine fails at the processor. Everything else on the 2600K machine passes though. Not worried since I see no difference at all in DCS FPS between either machine with the same video card.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

My current specs:

i5 4690k @ 4.6

Win 8.1 64

8 gig ram 2400

970 nvida 3.5 ram

SSD

Mission free flight f15c:

1080p ~ 140fps

Oculus almost solid 75 very minor drops below, very playable.

Mission cold start f15c:

1080p ~ 94-60 varies as I scan around.

Oculus solid 37 fps interesting that is ~ half of 75. Not playable.

Almost everthing on low or off msaa4x.

One thing of interest I get studder if the Oculus is hooked via the HDMI adapter instead of directly to the videocard's HDMI port.

I have a 980ti coming tomorrow and will post the differences.

R/

Daniel

I'd suggest checking your GPU and CPU utilisation.

If you don't notice a big improvement in FPS with 980ti, it could be that your GPU is waiting for CPU to build a command buffer with all those buildings and objects so adding a faster GPU might not help as much as you might expect.

I'd suggest checking your GPU and CPU utilisation.

If you don't notice a big improvement in FPS with 980ti, it could be that your GPU is waiting for CPU to build a command buffer with all those buildings and objects so adding a faster GPU might not help as much as you might expect.

GPU utilization is about 60% as is CPU which I thought was strange, why is the frame rate limited with more headroom? P3D with PMDG 777 one cpu core is almost 100%. In fact, I noticed more CPU and GPU utilization with DCS at 1080. I will see what happens with the 980ti.

R/

Daniel

I did test the Vive like if I was on a real jet meaning since the VR is 1:1 ratio you will move a lot looking on six and above the dashboard and side etc.. The Vive give me not a blink of a problem you can move everywhere and really get out of your chair but the Rift was more like at extrem a bit like Track IR but I'm sure this can be more adjusted .. Some of you guys will get it soon and you will set it up for DCS purpose and it will be good to have a review by many .

Anyway we are entering a new Era and great era ..very exciting , your real experience and reflex will have a good advantage in a VR world.

Fly it like you stole it..