Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the two new Nvidia APIs (Gameworks VR and Designworks VR) have been implemented in 1.5?

I'm currently on minimum settings in DCS with my msi GTX780OC card to maintain 75fps. Seeing buildings pop out of the ground in front of me is annoying but not sickness inducing like too low a frame rate. I will be upgrading the graphics card next year but with the 50% improvement that VRsli brings I'm considering a second 780 purchase now instead. An upgrade next year would mean waiting for Pascal and buying a single card only due to financial constraints. If I could spend less than half as much now and see a 50% improvement it might be a better option.

Anyone with a sli configuration able to say if VRsli is working?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

...lack of centering key Num5 assignment irritates! Why this function was disabled? ...and how you guys get around it?

Works just fine for me. Is your numlock key on?

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm wondering if anyone want to collaborate on a combined texture and visibility MOD

Thanks Simon. Maybe you can participate in a new project.

I'm wondering if anyone want to collaborate on a combined texture and visibility MOD that is specially for VR use.

Playing with VR is hard on the system so there are lot of things we could detune to get some performance headroom back. At the same time, in VR some visual effects look great in VR and some look bad.

In a MOD we could boost up good effects and reduce the bad looking effects.

Example:

• Distant textures do not render in VR at all (Wide FOV and No zoom) ... it would be best to have very distinct and flatter textures at a distance and only use detail textures up close.
  • Same goes for rendering of objects. You want the geometrical objects to show up futher away but the textures for those objects are not as important.
  • Stuff like the ugly town surface textures can be removed and other textures that stop shapes from standing out.
  • Need more ideas for this list :)

Has anyone already down some work in this area. Does anyone have some feedback on testing they have done.

Is there any particular texture pack MOD that makes things look better in VR?

Does anyone know if the two new Nvidia APIs (Gameworks VR and Designworks VR) have been implemented in 1.5?

I'm currently on minimum settings in DCS with my msi GTX780OC card to maintain 75fps. Seeing buildings pop out of the ground in front of me is annoying but not sickness inducing like too low a frame rate. I will be upgrading the graphics card next year but with the 50% improvement that VRsli brings I'm considering a second 780 purchase now instead. An upgrade next year would mean waiting for Pascal and buying a single card only due to financial constraints. If I could spend less than half as much now and see a 50% improvement it might be a better option.

Anyone with a sli configuration able to say if VRsli is working?

Is there nobody here with two nvidia graphics cards who could answer this?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Num5 does not work on assignment to my Warthog for me and other people! as well!

No joy for me. I am considering remapping via SVMapper or xpadder as a workaround.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

@vicx suggestions for mod/wish list:

- Make font size larger for text msg.

- Make text/msg "background" less transparent.

- Make text color green (read somewhere green contains pixels and are easier to read)

- Move "controller input" window away from corner.*

- Move "AI gunner commands" window away from corner.*

- Move "Sling load camera" window away from corner.*

- Labels shorter to help with spotting but not covering multiple targets.

- Suitable ground texture pack to help spotting targets in TV/TGP.

*and/or make movable and resizable.

Feel free to add or comment.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

that how my friend flyghts in DCS :thumbup:

Why do I think your friend is single? :smilewink:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

dcs.png

dcs2.png

Same settings, same load on GPU and CPU but once I have a large airfield or a lot of buildings in sight my FPS tanks. This is on minimum settings with a GTX780 and 4770k with 8gig of ram. Windows7 64bit and latest Nvidia drivers.

Edit: I know we are in beta and if this is an optimization issue then so be it. I'm just trying to establish if it is anything on my end that I can fix.

Edited by Frusheen
Spelling

Is there nobody here with two nvidia graphics cards who could answer this?

I don't believe SLI works as of now. I have two 980, but one stays dormant. I'm hoping that with 2.0, SLI support will be there.

There are reports that *w/o* Rift in the picture, SLI seems to work with a lot of tinkering.

hsb

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Num5 does not work on assignment to my Warthog for me and other people! as well!

Ah. That's a different problem than "Num5 doesn't work" I've never tried mapping Num5 so I can't help you there.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I don't believe SLI works as of now. I have to 980, but one stays dormant. I'm hoping that with 2.0, SLI support will be there.

There are reports that *w/o* Rift in the picture, SLI seems to work with a lot of tinkering.

hsb

Thanks. I've been told elsewhere that the gameworksVR and liquidVR APIs are not implemented in DCS. I got no indication that they will be in the near future. Your experience confirms that. It looks like a good single card will be the way to go.

Joy2Key works nicely to remap a button to KP5 for purposes of recentering your VR view. I use it and it works.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Shouldn't that be KeyToJoy? LOL. Thanks. I've been meaning to do this for some time.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Shouldn't that be KeyToJoy? LOL. Thanks. I've been meaning to do this for some time.

hsb

It's JoyToKey:

http://joytokey.net/en/

Works well. SVMapper will work with devices having greater than 32 buttons but I have not specifically tested it with DCS (though I'd assume it works).

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

It's JoyToKey:

http://joytokey.net/en/

Works well. SVMapper will work with devices having greater than 32 buttons but I have not specifically tested it with DCS (though I'd assume it works).

I was just joking. You're mapping keyboard to joystick, it should be called KeyToJoy! :)

Thanks for the tip, already downloaded.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I was just joking. You're mapping keyboard to joystick, it should be called KeyToJoy! :)

Thanks for the tip, already downloaded.

or VRtoJoy now that it's possible to easily reset the VR in DCS :pilotfly:The three remappers I recommend are Joy2Key, SVMApper and Xpadder. :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

- Make font size larger for text msg.

- Make text/msg "background" less transparent.

- Make text color green (read somewhere green contains pixels and are easier to read)

I'm using an existing mod for this and it does the job really well.We could tweak it for VR and of course we could make it it green. You are right that green has twice the pixel resolution in the DK2 but I think to get sharper text in this way would have to be directly supported by DCS.

- Move "controller input" window away from corner.*

- Move "AI gunner commands" window away from corner.*

- Move "Sling load camera" window away from corner.*

Great ideas and easy to do although they are module specific. You obviously love the Huey.

- Labels shorter to help with spotting but not covering multiple targets.

Great idea. Should we just give up on names?

- Suitable ground texture pack to help spotting targets in TV/TGP.

All my tests so far have been for the outside world. I haven't had a problem with the MFD because I just move my head closer. An MFD mod could be done but I would turn to it last.

Thanks for the feedback Salsam, I'll make a post in MODS soon with a test version for people to try. Out of interest what video card to you have?

I'm using an existing mod for this and it does the job really well.We could tweak it for VR and of course we could make it it green. You are right that green has twice the pixel resolution in the DK2 but I think to get sharper text in this way would have to be directly supported by DCS.

Great ideas and easy to do although they are module specific. You obviously love the Huey.

Great idea. Should we just give up on names?

All my tests so far have been for the outside world. I haven't had a problem with the MFD because I just move my head closer. An MFD mod could be done but I would turn to it last.

Thanks for the feedback Salsam, I'll make a post in MODS soon with a test version for people to try. Out of interest what video card to you have?

I think helicopters, right now, really shines :-)

Before my computer crash I had both a good labels mod and mod moving the controller window but sadly the they disappeared :-(

Love the idea of an "easy to use, all in one DK2 mod" and are happy to help - even if I lack the skill :-P

I currently have a MSi GeForce 970ti GPU, but saving up for SLI for Christmas ;-)

I currently have a MSi GeForce 970ti GPU, but saving up for SLI for Christmas ;-)

As it stands now Sli will be of no benefit for the rift with DCS. Just so you know. Perhaps you want it for other games.

What is needed are fully interactive ("clickable") cockpits for all the planes that do not have them currently.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

can somebody post NVIDIA Control panel settings + driver version?

It seems I'm limited to 50fps per eye while in 3D (it's like a cap, I used to have 75fps in first Beta release), main menu I get still 75.

Anyway, what control panel settings do you use?

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick: