Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there release notes somewhere stating that it's necessary to update to 0800 runtimes? And how does one manually update DCS? It is not updating automatically today to the latest version.

EDit: I found this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147735

Seems to be working :)

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

what are the shadows like in 1.5?

I have heard the same complaints from people running 1.5 so it's probably still there, although I cannot confirm it myself because I don't have a VR headset yet. Waiting for the consumer version. Don't want some stupid prototype :)

With the latest update (Friday, 13th Nov.) the DK2 functions up to the loading of a mission but DCS World stops working every time before mission loading is complete (as it did on the first release of the Open Beta). Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have just seen that this has been reported as a bug.

Edited by derekb1948
Problem has been reported

Occulus rift and snapviews

Hi Rift users

I have not got a Rift yet but am considering buying when released.

1) Could anyone tell me if the snapviews work with the rift?

2) if so does the cockpit mouse clicking work when in the snapview?

Regards

What are the shadows like in 1.5?

Shadows are fine but most people turn them off because even with a BEAST of a video card shadows (even flat ones) can at moments cause the framerate to drop and you really notice that in VR. In VR you need ALWAYS greater than 75FPS for EACH eye. That is 150FPS combined and the framerate should never drop below that.

So rendering greater than 150fps with as close to zero latency as possible is hard. VR is very demanding.

I have a GTX780 and I run with VISIB RANGE: LOW and SHADOWS: OFF. I can still run 2xMSSA which in my experience is worth doing.

Could anyone tell me if the snapviews work with the rift?

Snapviews don't work and in many ways go against the whole idea of VR anyway. Still if anyone has got them working ... tell me how.

With the latest update (Friday, 13th Nov.) the DK2 functions up to the loading of a mission but DCS World stops working every time before mission loading is complete (as it did on the first release of the Open Beta). Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have just seen that this has been reported as a bug.

I'm having the same problem. But I'm troubleshooting my Warthog (looks to be a pinched cable) so I'm preoccupied with that.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Can't get the DK2 to work with the latest DCS version.

I have the "detect oculus rift" box checked. When i start a mission, there's like 7-8 activation key boxes appearing, after clicking exit on every one of them, the game loads on my monitor, just as if I didn't have a rift at all... Very annoying. Been trying for 2 hours to get it to work. Steam version.

Runtime 0.8.0.0

Nvidia 358.91

Tried a bunch of different SDKs and Nvidia drivers.

EDIT: activation stuff was a firewall issue.

EDIT2: Rift worked after clicking "verify local files" or some-such in the steam menus :)

Edited by Fltwrm

Can't get the DK2 to work with the latest DCS version.

I have the "detect oculus rift" box checked. When i start a mission, there's like 7-8 activation key boxes appearing, after clicking exit on every one of them, the game loads on my monitor, just as if I didn't have a rift at all... Very annoying. Been trying for 2 hours to get it to work. Steam version.

Runtime 0.8.0.0

Nvidia 358.91

Tried a bunch of different SDKs and Nvidia drivers.

The activation stuff sounds like a firewall or AV issue.

My guess, anyway.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Just a tip for anyone experiencing crashes with the Rift.

I can only speculate about the bug causing the crashes but I do know

• if there is only one aircraft in a mission designated as a player then the world initialises in the cockpit when you spawn and this seems to cause a crash.

• if you add a second aircraft as a client then you initialise outside the cockpit with a world view and when you spawn into the aircraft you do not crash.

• if you have CA and add a CA slot to the mission this is also true; you initialise outside the cockpit with a world view and a menu overlayand when you spawn into the aircraft you do not crash.

Basically initialise with a world view instead of straight into the cockpit in VR. (You will have to edit MOST missions to temporarily fix them or wait for ED to fix the bug)

If other people want to confirm that would be great.

Edited by vicx

I crash every time I try and load directly into a cockpit. If I set the aircraft from "player" to "client" then the mission loads successfully and I can just select the aircraft I want after I get in. Then it all works as expected.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I started DCS up for the first time in a couple of weeks tonight, and it would not detect the Rift.

Updated the Oculus runtime from 0.7.0.0 to 0.8.0.0 and all was well again.

Just a heads-up to anyone having the same issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I started DCS up for the first time in a couple of weeks tonight, and it would not detect the Rift.

Updated the Oculus runtime from 0.7.0.0 to 0.8.0.0 and all was well again.

Just a heads-up to anyone having the same issue.

I have 0.8.0.0 and I crash on the mission loading screen. I think this happens when you install a module after the update. This needs fixing because it means you won't be able to buy anymore modules without it crashing. I'm not sure if this is what is causing it, it's just some guy said it worked for him until he purchased another module and installed it. Now he can't get past the loading screen.

I have 0.8.0.0 and I crash on the mission loading screen. I think this happens when you install a module after the update. This needs fixing because it means you won't be able to buy anymore modules without it crashing. I'm not sure if this is what is causing it, it's just some guy said it worked for him until he purchased another module and installed it. Now he can't get past the loading screen.

The only way to avoid this crash is to play multiplayer or custom missions where you join as client. Basically any mission where you load the mission outside the cockpit and select your aircraft from the list.

This has worked 100% of the time for me, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

I don't think it's a VR specific issue but I could be wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only way to avoid this crash is to play multiplayer or custom missions where you join as client. Basically any mission where you load the mission outside the cockpit and select your aircraft from the list.

This is correct. I have been playing campaign by opening the campaign files and changing player to client on the aircraft in question. This works for every mission I've tried it on.

Hi there,

I got the DK2 from yesterday for a couple of days for testing. I downloaded 0.8 runtime version, and something called "virtual desktop". Now I got few question: what resolution You've got in DCS? 1280:800 when using oculus? My comp specs are:

AMD FX-8320 X8 3,5GHz (OC to 4.3)

ASUS STRIX GTX970 (OC),

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Fortron ATX HEXA 500W

Kingston KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G

SSD KINGSTON SV300S3B7A/120G

HDD WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB SATA III 64MB.

What kind of DCS settings I can expect with those? Cause when using Freetrack i got everything maxed out and got stable around 40-60fps (depending on model i fly). I use Vsync. When trying to play with those setting with DK2 got some blurry view and quite strong spacial disorientation feeling. When lower setting to a lowest one the feeling gone, but DCS looks terrible :P

And one more thing, using DK2 it very often crash (plug out and plug in by itself) is it normal or is it reaction to overstress due high graphic setting? Is there any way to normalize it?

No way will you be able to max everything. No way is 40-60fps enough ... you have to stop the fps from ever dropping below 75 and then you gotta double it because each eye gets it's own frame. So when DCS shows you 75 it means your GTX970 is really doing 150 so yeah you need to reset your expectations the same way guys with Titans have had to.

===

Any drop in framerate is to be avoided at all costs in VR. When you get a smooth experience it will feel good so you will notice less the other compromises that have to be made.

My experience is with a GTX780 in an i7-3820 3.6Ghz.

• Shadows affects framerate the most for me. I turn shadows OFF completely and I don't think it is as noticeable having no shadows in VR as it is in 2D. In 2D you need the shadows to help with the illusion of 3D. In VR everything is already in 3D so missing shadows ... not so bad.
  • I turn down visibility to low because you can't make out detail far away anyway. If you aren't reaching the goal of smooth - use low terrain textures too.
  • Lastly you do have to have some AA. Sacrifice whatever else you need so you can run with some AA.
  • Turn OFF vsync. I have had to do that because sometimes it was showing 60 in DCS instead of 75.

---

The other thing I tried a week ago was to edit my graphics.lua to get rid of the ugly town surface textures. The textures that show car parks and fences do not look any good in the rift. It is better to have flatter shading for stuff that is at a distance. I lost my changes when I repaired my install (trying to fix the crashing bug that just got fixed)

I think a texture mod just for Rift users is an interesting idea. Anyone tried this yet?

Or has anyone tried making a special graphics.lua mod for VR?

• Like 1