Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Thank you, Frusheen...What we really need is for ED to do the radio commands properly and give some love to us VR users. Bigger text, closer to the middle, slaved to head movement would be ideal.

Agreed. Although ideally I'd prefer to have the radio working well with voice attack. I hope the Huey will be added to this soon:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151296

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of a link that shows the radio comms menu tree and each F-Key's options and suboptions? I may have to resort to memorizing everything :D

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Does anyone know of a link that shows the radio comms menu tree and each F-Key's options and suboptions? I may have to resort to memorizing everything :D

You should buy "Voice activated Command" like I have and then you just use you voice to activate anything in the radio. A guy called fish mapped out all the radio commands for the A10C, but you can setup your own and its not hard to use.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by joebloggs

OK, finally gotten around to trying out the DK2 with Nevada.

It really is a wonderful thing. The res of the DK2 interferes a little with enjoying the scenery as much as I would like to, but the immersion is just terrific.

It is worth noting though that I manage to avoid getting motion sickness from the rift, even with a low framerate, so I have been able to turn up all my settings to max. I've just learned to "defocus" my eyes whenever I move my head, which stops any nausea developing, and then"refocus" when I've stopped moving.

I can't wait for the consumer level of VR HMD to come out - although I think I will definitely need to grab a second 980 for SLI to properly enjoy the experience...

Cheers,

Smirks

Cheers,

Smirkza

OK, finally gotten around to trying out the DK2 with Nevada.

It really is a wonderful thing. The res of the DK2 interferes a little with enjoying the scenery as much as I would like to, but the immersion is just terrific.

It is worth noting though that I manage to avoid getting motion sickness from the rift, even with a low framerate, so I have been able to turn up all my settings to max. I've just learned to "defocus" my eyes whenever I move my head, which stops any nausea developing, and then"refocus" when I've stopped moving.

I can't wait for the consumer level of VR HMD to come out - although I think I will definitely need to grab a second 980 for SLI to properly enjoy the experience...

Cheers,

Smirks

You don't need to set all setting to high when using the Rift. You won't notice when some of the settings are tuned down in the Rift because of the Rifts resolution. But it makes a big difference to performance if you have them all set to high. You should turn Visibility to medium, Water to low and Shadow off. You will see a big increase in performance if you do this and it will still look just as good in the Rift. Infact, I think leaving shadows ON makes things look worse.

Edited by joebloggs

You don't need to set all setting to high when using the Rift. You won't notice when some of the settings are tuned down in the Rift because of the Rifts resolution. But it makes a big difference to performance if you have them all set to high. You should turn Visibility to medium, Water to low and Shadow off. You will see a big increase in performance if you do this and it will still look just as good in the Rift. Infact, I think leaving shadows ON makes things look worse.

I'll try some of them out, but if it means I don't see shadows then they're staying nice and high. Shadows add depth massively in my most humble of opinions.

Guess it's down to personal preference.

Cheers,

Smirkza

No you don't. It will only ruin your experience and waste your money. See this thread and you will know why: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153737&highlight=sli

Fair enough for DCS, but my main want for SLI is the myriad of other VR experiences I plan to enjoy :)

At least, that's based on the info from Nvidia here - http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-vr-platforms-deliver-massive-performance-boost-for-virtual-reality

Thanks for the link.

Edited by smirkza
added Nvidia Gameworks link

Cheers,

Smirkza

No you don't. It will only ruin your experience and waste your money. See this thread and you will know why: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153737&highlight=sli

That thread is an interesting read.

It seems that there is a real mix between those who find SLI worls well and those who just cannot get it working.

Seems to be not just for DCS too, but for many other games.

I've never tried SLI before and was only really interested for the VR boosts it is supposed to be bringing (one card per eye rendering).

I'm in no rush though and will see where the tech goes in the future when consumer VR HMD are released...

Cheers,

Smirkza

Sometimes SL1 syncing creates stutter, which is the last thing that VR needs. Since NVidia, and AMD are working closely with VR devs, this issues could become a non-issue at some point. Up to this point, I've only configured an SL1 system once, and found it better just to have the best single gpu possible.

Hopefully the next generation gpus will be powerful enough that SL1 won't be required for VR, as a single gpu is much cheaper than buying two, along with a compatible motherboard.

Sometimes SL1 syncing creates stutter, which is the last thing that VR needs. Since NVidia, and AMD are working closely with VR devs, this issues could become a non-issue at some point. Up to this point, I've only configured an SL1 system once, and found it better just to have the best single gpu possible.

Hopefully the next generation gpus will be powerful enough that SL1 won't be required for VR, as a single gpu is much cheaper than buying two, along with a compatible motherboard.

Don't confuse sli and VRsli. They are very different things. VRsli is part of a package of measures being introduced by the big two card manufacturers. Google gameworksVR and liquidVR if you want to know more.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Who else has had the urge to do this. I couldn't resist once I saw cars on the track at the Vegas speedway.

http://youtu.be/xIztkCGK0wo

Edited by Frusheen

That's a job for a wheeled helicopter :D

Challenge accepted! Haha I'll try the heavy Russian beast later. That'll be tight squeeze around the flood lights :thumbup:

Who else has had the urge to do this. I couldn't resist once I saw cars on the track at the Vegas speedway.

LOL, I was exactly the same way - I just had to see if I can pass the racing cars :) Had a lot of fun doing the laps with the Huey.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Any map makes volunteering to make a VR map without any judder? You could add quite a bit of detail to it without getting any judder with the new edge engine and it would be huge success with VR about to be released next year. I can't see ED making one just for VR, but someone must be rubbing their hands thinking it's a good idea. I know i'd make one if I could.

I am doing some pretty intensive testing with VR and Nevada. It is pretty early to be making guesses as to what is causing the framerate problems .. but I think that some rendering techniques in Nevada are problematic for VR in particular.

The actual objects that cause problems might be able to give some clues.

The Trees in Nevada have a problem but it might be something specific to the technique used rather than just their numbers. I have been trying to turn off some of the rendering passes in Nevada so that I can look at stuff in isolation.

So far I have only identified one thing (and there could be many others) that causes a hit to framerates.

*Note* This is running everything on an extremely LOW settings ALREADY. And still there are highly unusual drops in framerate that are not easily explained.

So these pictures will tell a story of this first thing I have found. I don't know whether doubles-sided polygons are the actual problem. Or they are just a a tiny bit more expensive than single sided and that turns out to be a problem for VR. Could be specifically double-sided polygons with a different texture on each side. Could be specifically double-sided polygons having a normal map. I don't know.

I have seen objects having double-sided polygons causing a drop in the VR framerate from 75fps to 50fps. Being close can cause the drop or just having more than a few objects with double-sided polygons in the viewport. It could be coincidence ... but it could also be something for ED devs to look at. For most people going from 75-50fps is no big deal but for VR it is very bad.

EgBGHBy.jpg

TmQws2k.jpg

4z4I7Av.jpg

QYhghdQ.jpg

When you say: "Many other Scenery models with double polygon cause fps." I don't think that is something ED would change right now for VR. I admire your work on this, but I think it will only come to fruition once someone decides to make a VR map that's made from scratch and has VR in mind. You only have to look at how popular something like Elite Dangerous became to know there's a market for VR. The new Edge engine allows you to place many objects on the map at once, so someone making a VR map could add lots of detail and make it a very good VR experience. Who knows, maybe Ed will do this themselves as soon as VR takes off next year, I know I would.

Edited by joebloggs

Assets like this as a former games dev, need optimising.

It doesnt just affect VR, it affects everyone including those with multi monitor setups.

VR just notices it harder due to need for consistent high framerate.

The fact I get a very, very smooth experience in the sky, and above cities until im very close to very certain assets, says a few of them might need work.

ED have done an excellent job on this so far.

Edited by Deathbane

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

Does anyone if DK2 uses MSAA in the setting of DCS? I just changes mine from 2x to 16x and have no judder at all. Before MSAA used to have a massive hit on performance in DCS, so I'm just wondering if it makes a difference in DCS now or if it's somehow switched off.