Military and Aviation News Thread (NO DISCUSSION)

topol-m

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 3 weeks later...

Counter-Terrorism: Fraunhofer-Institut tests passive GSM radar (German)

Researchers of the Fraunhofer-Institut for Communication, Information Technologie and Ergonomics have tested a passive radar system that detects objects, e.g. speedboats, by the reflection of mobile radio signals they cause. During tests at the beach of Eckernförde and on the island of Fehmarn, the team was able to detect the position of smaller racing boats that were located up to 4 km off the coast.

Holy cow!

Further down, the article says that the researchers also think about using that system to detect small planes approaching windmills so that the mills can turn on the anti collision lights when needed.

Nice. As even Afghanistan had good GSM coverage for detonating remote IEDs it should work almost everywhere... :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

THat type of technology has/is being explored for a few years now in the Airborne sphere of things.... basically picking up aircraft, even stealthy ones, by looking for random reflections of simple radio and civilian EM broadcasts. But... it's not reliable really as a tactic in a modern battlefield.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Depends on how many sophisticated sensors can do a timely and networked triangulation, I would guess. With enough sensors and precise measurement you should be able to calculate positions by analyzing the change in reflections it is causing combine that with other technologies like spy satellites or IR sensors and normal radar you just need a "good guess" where to look with a more precise sensor. As the density of "random" waves is ever expanding I guess this technology has a bright future...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah, a military application makes a whole lot of sense for sure.

I would also guess that this kind of technology needs a lot of research and refinement until it becomes combat ready. Then again, why not use it as an additional means even while it is still under development? In that regard I'm surprised that these tests appear to be purely civilian.

The one thing I'm not sure about: Since stealth aircraft are built so that they reflect minimal radar energy, shouldn't stealth work against this type of detection just as well (ie., by minimizing the returned/reflected signal to a value so low that it looks like maybe just a random peak here or there and gets filtered out until the aircraft is way too close anyway)? And with a range of, say, 4 km, flying high should probably help as well for the foreseeable future.

In any case, it's a highly fascinating technology. :thumbup:

Todays "stealth" usually has two major components: a special coating that reduces (but not eliminates!) radar reflection, plus a angular shape of areas on the plane to reflect incoming radar waves in any direction other than the one they originated and disperse them as much as possible... idea is the enemy plane won't get a radar return signal to locate you above the random noise.

Now with changes in the omnidirectional radar, radio whatever background waves, this dispersed signal would still change. The concept seems to identify these changes in the "white noise" and not look for a "known return signal"...

Shagrat

Now with changes in the omnidirectional radar, radio whatever background waves, this dispersed signal would still change. The concept seems to identify these changes in the "white noise" and not look for a "known return signal"...

Interesting. That sounds plausible indeed.

In that case I guess mobile communication equipment just got a promotion on the list of priority targets for future conflicts, especially when the attacker has stealth aircraft he wants to remain undetected... :music_whistling:

If that generic technology advances a bit more and can use predictive algorithms to 'calculate' rough positions of an interfering object in the normal background radiation it won't need any artificial waves like mobile network cells.

It would require better and obviously more spread out sensors, high computing power to calculate abnormal patterns in real time and it will resemble 'feeling a disturbance in the force' :D

I doubt we have good enough sensors today, but with big data and weather modelling on super computers at least the calculations part sounds feasible.

Shagrat

• 3 weeks later...

AirAsia QZ 8501 gone missing.

The flight was scheduled to go from Surabaya (Indonesia, Island of Java) to Singapore (Malaysia). Aircraft is an Airbus A320 with 162 people on board.

By now the flight has been missing for some 20 hours.

Links:

https://www.google.de/search?hl=en&gl=uk&tbm=nws&q=QZ+8501

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qz8501#525d6ba

Looks like a terrible year for aviation in/from that region. Still hoping for a miracle, though.

Shagrat

• 2 weeks later...

Very good 10 minute report from the BBC onboard the Carl Vinson. Presented by Mark Urban the author of some very good books

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-30825586

Book list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Urban#Books

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]