Air restart

Shein

So I found out while messing around, its a bad idea to fly upside down for more than 2 or so seconds... both my engines shut down.

I managed to get the left one restarted in time, but I couldn't get the right fired up fast enough... so my question is:

Is there an established air restart procedure? how do you do it?

Is core lock modeled, and that why I couldnt get the right started?

went something like this:

1. engines idle

2. Shut both down

3. turn on APU

4. wait for it to spool to 100%

5. start left engine

6. wait for engine start cycle light to go out

7. try to do same for right but it wont go

any ideas?

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Doc\DCS A-10C Flight Manual EN.pdf >>>

Page 589

Single Engine Restart

If an engine needs to be restarted while in flight you can either use the APU to restart the engine or perform a windmill air start.

APU Restart. Using the APU to restart an engine is performed as follows:

1. Move the inoperative engine throttle to the OFF position.

2. Observe that the shut down engine ITT value cools down rapidly.

3. Aircraft altitude should be below 20,000 ft MSL and increase airspeed.

4. When below 15,000 ft MSL, move the APU power switch to the START position.

5. Move the still operating throttle to MAX.

6. Set the Engine Operate switch of the affected engine to the MOTOR setting.

7. When affected engine ITT is below 100 °C and altitude below 15,000 ft MSL, restart the affected engine by moving the throttle from OFF to IDLE.

8. Move the Engine Operate switch of the affected engine back to the NORM position.

9. If engine restart is successful, reengage the SAS switches and set engine operate switch back to NORM.

Windmill Restart. Using a windmill start will take 6,000 to 8,000 ft to complete because it requires a steep dive of at least 30-degrees. Given the altitude requirement, this is not an option when below 10,000 ft AGL. To perform a windmill restart:

1. Place the aircraft in a 30-degree dive.

2. Set the Bleed Air switch to OFF.

3. Set the Crossfeed switch to Crossfeed.

4. Once ITT of affected engine is below 150-c, set both throttles to MAX.

5. Set the Engine Operate switch of the affected engine to IGN.

6. Once engine is operating, move Engine Operate switch back to NORM.

7. Move Crossfeed switch to OFF.

8. Set Bleed Air switch to ON.

Hi I have restarted my engines mid-air successfully several times. however, i have always wondered what some of the switches actually do. .I figure the better you understand your systems the better you can manage emergency situations.

specifically on restart I have no Idea what the Crossfed, the bleed air and the engine operate actually do.

If someone could explain what is happening when I flick those switches it would be great. Also, why is the procedure different when starting the engine with the apu different mid-air vs on the ground.

Thank you

Crossfeed allows fuel to flow the engines regardless of which fueltank/system they use primarily.

Various systems, for example cabin environment, uses bleed air from the engines . Air which could've been used for thrust instead. Bleed air is therefore shut off in order to reduce the load on the engines aswell as make them perform at their maximum possible capacity.

Engine Operate, well, I don't remember this one at the top of my head but IGN is ignition so I think it's a manual activation of the spark plugs or somehting like that.

Explaining technical stuff in English is a hard one... :D

Edited by roob

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

Crossfeed allows fuel to flow the engines regardless of which fueltank/system they use primarily.

Various systems, for example cabin environment, uses bleed air from the engines . Air which could've been used for thrust instead. Bleed air is therefore shut off in order to reduce the load on the engines aswell as make them perform at their maximum possible capacity.

Engine Operate, well, I don't remember this one at the top of my head but IGN is ignition so I think it's a manual activation of the spark plugs or somehting like that.

Explaining technical stuff in English is a hard one... :D

thanks for the reply. Im still a bit unclear on what it is bleed air does. However, i think i understand the engine switch. i guess when you set it to motor the working engine is used to turn the other engine on.

if im correct however, i wonder what the procedure would be if both engines are off mid-air.

also, im still curious as to why the procedure is different on the ground than on the air.

When I lose an engine I usually immediately flip the apu start button. I then put the problem engine to the idle position. Many times it just starts up. If not the APU is already running to try a normal start..

Note: if you are going to shut down the running engine as noted earlier, make sure the APU is running and the APU generator is switched on.

Also make sure the fire handle isn't pulled on either engine. Most of my engine failures have been caused by a mouse click while flipping through the waypoints on the upper entry panel.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

thanks for the reply. Im still a bit unclear on what it is bleed air does. However, i think i understand the engine switch. i guess when you set it to motor the working engine is used to turn the other engine on.

if im correct however, i wonder what the procedure would be if both engines are off mid-air.

also, im still curious as to why the procedure is different on the ground than on the air.

Hi, the Motor switch is used to dump excess kerosin from the engine! You may need this if you throttled the engine when restarting, usually on the ground. Switch it on for 30 sec to clean up the engine.

Nothing to to do with the actual ignition/start of tne engine. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If you have the time, always MOTOR the engine you are trying to start/restart before you attempt a proper restart. Kerosine left in the turbine can cause severe damage when the spark plug ignite the kerosine.

If you are experiencing a OMGWTFSHIT moment, push both throttles to MAX and HOLD IGN while diving.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Emergency procedures are obviously of the less well debugged aspects of the game. The Manual Reversion flight mode is itself not entirely realistic in how it functions. Engine restarts are also finnicky as hell.

One thing I noticed was OP said he couldn't get second engine started in time? A-10 can easily fly on one engine unless you're already stalling and have no altitude to pick up enough speed. Only reason to think you couldn't fly on one engine is if the airframe is so badly damaged that lift surfaces are generating greater wing loading than normal (not sure if that even happens).

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Emergency procedures are obviously of the less well debugged aspects of the game. The Manual Reversion flight mode is itself not entirely realistic in how it functions. Engine restarts are also finnicky as hell.

One thing I noticed was OP said he couldn't get second engine started in time? A-10 can easily fly on one engine unless you're already stalling and have no altitude to pick up enough speed. Only reason to think you couldn't fly on one engine is if the airframe is so badly damaged that lift surfaces are generating greater wing loading than normal (not sure if that even happens).

Oh yeah I was fine. I flew to a base on one engine, by in time I meant before I got on the ground. Once I did, the left engine shut down too by itself oddly enough

• 2 weeks later...