Bug Report: Heat Blur on, reduces GPU and CPU performance

TZeer

Issue: With the Heat Blur effect on the A-10C. The CPU and GPU's will throttle down their performance when Heat Blur is active on the A-10C. Any time the plane is flying slower then ^260 knots the GPU and CPU will reduce their performance.

Does not happen if the AI is flying the plane. Only when you are the pilot. Does not happen when flying the SU-25T. Do not have the other modules so have not tested them.

In my case, the FPS will go down from ~100FPS and to about 50-60 FPS. When heat blur effect goes off, fly faster then ~260 knot, performance on GPU and CPU goes up. It's like there's put a maximum limit of how high the GPU's can go in performance.

This is on a SLI setup.

gpudropfm.png

DxDiag.txt

Performance Drop.trk

To test this properly and eliminate other facors (other than heatblur) to be cause of FPS hit do the following:

Create new missiong with 1 A-10C only and place it on empty parts of the map or over the sea so it's away (at least 150km) from coastline of the georgian part of the map.

Turn off FPS limit in Graphics.cfg

Fly the A-10C in this mission and turn on FPS counter... note the FPS when heatblur is on and off... and report the FPS values here.

PS: you can also attach the mission you made, if under these conditions you still see massive FPS loss, I'll try it out also on my end. Also if you want to compare FPS loss best is not use FPS number but percentages (because if you say you have 10fps loss that's a lot on 30fps but not a lot on 130fps)

No longer active in DCS...

Did as requested.

Here is the GPU and CPU performance while performing the test.

Every time the GPU and CPU usage goes down, is when the heatblur effect comes on.

This does not happen when the AI is flying the plane and you are just a spectator.

FPS goes from 180 and down to 100 during this. And jumps back up again to 180 when heat blur goes away.

heat2q.png

heat21.png

Screenshots taken during test. As you can see on the FPS counter the drop is quite high.

screen130215114701.jpg

screen130215114652.jpg

heatblurtest2.trk

test2.miz

Just for info, if you combine the FPS drop from the heatblur bug, and the FPS drop you get from the green emergency flood light in the cockpit, you go from 180 FPS and down to 60 FPS..... The green light alone takes you from 180 and down to 100.

I just tried this on my end (in triple screen setup) and I got in F2 view 56fps down to 51fps when heat blur starts, and in cockpit view I got 40fps down to 37fps. So there is definitely some fps hit, I am confused though why is there fps hit when no heat blur is visible (as in when siting in the pit and looking forwards)????

Still not a massive FPS difference that you have (percentage wise), looks to be about 9% on my end. I can't see how you go from 180fps to 101fps?

You know what, have you tried turning SLI off and running it with 1 video card?

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

I just tried this on my end (in triple screen setup) and I got in F2 view 56fps down to 51fps when heat blur starts, and in cockpit view I got 40fps down to 37fps. So there is definitely some fps hit, I am confused though why is there fps hit when no heat blur is visible (as in when siting in the pit and looking forwards)????

Still not a massive FPS difference that you have (percentage wise), looks to be about 9% on my end. I can't see how you go from 180fps to 101fps?

You know what, have you tried turning SLI off and running it with 1 video card?

I have tried running it with 1 card, and as you say, the difference is not as big as in SLI, but with one card the single card is running at 100% even during the drop.

I suspect that 1 card simply is not enough to provoke the same drop, due to it being a bottleneck. I guess it's also one of the reasons why it's hard to detect. DCS is not exactly

known to have a stellar performance gain even if you go SLI. And this bug might be the one of the reasons.

In more populated areas I go from about 100 FPS and down to 50-60. And since the A-10C rarely go above 260 knots with fuel and fully loaded, this bug is almost always active. And therefor people think SLI doesn't give much performance gain.

If you do external view, and zoom out, the effect will go away as well.

Then set up an AI flight to go slower then 260 knots, and do the same. And you wil not have the FPS drop.

Try do a single screen setup and check your FPS.

Sounds more like nVidia needs to make a better SLI Profile for DCSW, as the work load isnt distributed properly. which causes drops in FPS and GPU usuage in your case.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team

I don't see the issue if you drop to 50/60 fps, if it dropped below 30 then it would be an issue :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I see an issue if heat blur (or anything else) is affecting frames when not in the field of view.

I am confused though why is there fps hit when no heat blur is visible (as in when siting in the pit and looking forwards)????

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Sounds more like nVidia needs to make a better SLI Profile for DCSW, as the work load isnt distributed properly. which causes drops in FPS and GPU usuage in your case.

Wrong. SLI works fine. Heat blur on the SU-25T works fine. Heat blur on a AI A-10C works fine.

Heat blur on your own A-10C, CPU and GPU takes a dump.

I don't see the issue if you drop to 50/60 fps, if it dropped below 30 then it would be an issue

It is an issue when you try to run with Vsync @ 60 FPS. And the difference in 30 and 60 FPS is huge when it comes to smoothness in the game.

30 FPS with Vsync doesn't look to bad when looking straight ahead. But see the difference with a TrackIr and looking out to one of your sides, and 30 FPS looks like a slideshow compared to 60 FPS.

It's this typical attitude that's the reason many people are still humping along with 30-40 FPS on some of the latest/greatest hardware you can get for money. On a game engine that have had 10 years to optimize and tweak.

Mirrors/Reflection off the canopy.

Have mirrors off

On a game engine that have had 10 years to optimize and tweak.

The Engine is 10 years old. When they originally coded it, GFX Cards were ALOT different.

Now 10 years later, the same engine has had effects and layers added to it to make it look better, while still running the same base code. You can only add so much to an aging engine before it starts to have qirks.

Run LoMAC and then Run DCSW 1.2.2 and tell me the terrain looks the same, it doesnt. They've added so many things to the same engine that afaik, prolly want coded to last this long.

And 10 years ago, everything was still single threaded and usign 32-bit addresses, GPUs with Separate Geometry Renderers and Shader blocks.

It's pretty much the same as running Windows 95 and adding everything from Win7 to Windows 95 Core. IT's gonna run slow as hell because it was coded to Run Single Threaded w/ less than 4GB of Ram.

Have mirrors off

There's still canopy reflections, and the shader is active whether or not you look at the engines.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Sounds reasonable :)

But it does not explain why there is no such effect when the plane is controlled by the AI. Only when you fly it yourself. Doesn't matter if you go external view or internal.

And no such effect when flying the SU-25T.

6DoF Pit or AFM or Combo of both, since they use more CPU power than SFM.

What you saying SkateZilla?

That it is due to lack of cpu power?

The bug is there as long as you are controlling the aircraft. No matter if you are flying manually or on autopilot.

The bug is also there if you look at the aircraft in external view.

But, if you zoom out, the reduction in CPU usage and GPU usage goes away when the heat blur is no longer visible.

It has nothing to do with the amount of CPU power available.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

tzeer, how much frames have you in takeoff trainning mission, inside the cockpit (default view)? with my titan, with all option in high cant get more than 26-28 frames, if i see directly to terminal installations my frames go down to 22. And another question, what gpu usage you have? my titan gpu usage dont go more than 70% all the time, in one or three monitors. ARRGHHH

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7 / I7 2600k@4.5Ghz / 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz / Aorus 1080TI waterforce extreme / SB XFI Fatality PCI / 3 Sata HD Seagate / 2 samsung evo 850 / Win10 64 Pro / P.S Corsair HX1000W / Full Tower Cooler master ATCS 840 / 3x U2410 Dell@eyefinity 3926x1920 / Oculus Rift.

nvidia needs to make SLi work better period, its really terribly done in almost any game and work load is probably only properly distributed in 1% of games.

i just tested the stuff with me, and there is no difference in the cockpit between having heatblur on or off, both in and out of the cockpit.

obviously i get more FPS outside of the cockpit but that is because theres no render to texture stuff

Edited by karambiatos

nvidia needs to make SLi work better period, its really terribly done in almost any game and work load is probably only properly distributed in 1% of games.

i just tested the stuff with me, and there is no difference in the cockpit between having heatblur on or off, both in and out of the cockpit.

obviously i get more FPS outside of the cockpit but that is because theres no render to texture stuff

Not possible to turn off heat blur atm. It's a known bug.

• 4 weeks later...

i upgraded my pc today ended up actually losing frames somehow in the process. all other applications however have gained performance.

was running this..

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)

MS-7390

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

8192MB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

almost no change, i never looked at my frames with the original setup but with the setup below with details switched to low I am lucky to get 30fps. It doesnt seem to have improved much at all performance wise.

does this seem right?

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)

GA-990FXA-D3

AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

8192MB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

any ideas would be great..:music_whistling:

Su-27 Flanker 1995 Super EF2000 1997 Jane's F/A-18 1999

• 1 year later...

Hows about 2x R9 290?Anyone playing with these cards?

Asus H97 PRO--I7-4790 3.60-4.00 ghz Haswell
--
Cooler Master Hyper 103
--
16gb Kingston HyperX Fury black 1866mhz
--
ZOTAC AMP extreme gtx 1080 ti
--
SSD Kingston HyperX Fury 120 Gb
--
Samsung EvO 850 500gb
--