AMD Catalyst 13.30 beta (14.1?) available

actually, I put both in there. atiumd64.dll and the atiumdag.dll. My bad for not mentioning both.

I'm thinking the same thing you are. Mine's a 7870... so probably nothing in the mix for our cards. Unless for one reason or another, AMD decides to sweep through and tweak the DX9 stack.... :music_whistling:

thanks again for you testing method. it saved me a lot of headache from uninstalling, then installing the new mix, being disappointed, and then going back... :thumbup: rep inbound

but it's my method :thumbup:

that's right, sometimes generic tweaks to the driver code might result in unexpectedly large changes in performance

i've been hearing about lots of problems for years in flight sims, worse for crossfire users of course, unfortunately i havent gotten around to testing them myself (& my 4870x2 died last june so i obviously cant do much anymore)

you can just feel lucky that you're not legacy AND crossfire :pilotfly:

btw there is an alternative technique where you use different game profiles instead of different driver versions to try & fix problems or performance

• Like 1

but it's my method :thumbup:

that's right, sometimes generic tweaks to the driver code might result in unexpectedly large changes in performance

i've been hearing about lots of problems for years in flight sims, worse for crossfire users of course, unfortunately i havent gotten around to testing them myself (& my 4870x2 died last june so i obviously cant do much anymore)

you can just feel lucky that you're not legacy AND crossfire :pilotfly:

btw there is an alternative technique where you use different game profiles instead of different driver versions to try & fix problems or performance

Prop's to you bro!!! :doh: :music_whistling: :) rep inbound! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks for the heads up! :beer:

Just tried this out, appears to work really well.

Cleaned out driver with Display Driver Uninstaller and did fresh install of 13.12.

Tested FPS, still lower than 13.9

Put the 13.9 atiumd64.dll in /bin, tested and FPS was back up where it was under 13.9

This is pretty epic, when i placed the 13.9 atiumd64.dll in bin folder i too got an FPS bump of around 5-10 fps in most situations on my 7850, amazing! :thumbup:

I have attached the expanded .dll in the below attachment if anyone else wants to try it - this isn't a placebo, if i take the .dlls out i see a definite FPS drop

13.30 beta driver FPS 23 fps

ryj6B0D.jpg

13.9 atiumd64.dll (also included atiumdag.dll incase it was needed) identical scene 28-30 fps

nL3fiZr.jpg

Edited by Mustang

feel free to test as many driver versions as possible, there might be one even faster than 13.9

it's not placebo since the game is literally running on a different driver version (well almost... in rare cases, if amd has changed the code a lot, or if the versions are too far apart, a certain dll paired with a certain .sys kernel driver will result in BSODs, but that happens more often when you mess with opengl dlls)

i am curious about your cpu usage, does it go down on 13.9? or all usage is same.... gpu usage goes up? same usage for both but only fps goes up? etc

• Like 1

feel free to test as many driver versions as possible, there might be one even faster than 13.9

You're on to something there M8! this method makes it real easy to dabble around. thanks again!! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This is pretty epic, when i placed the 13.9 atiumd64.dll in bin folder i too got an FPS bump of around 5-10 fps in most situations on my 7850, amazing! :thumbup:

Just tried it and it works for me too! Using those two files gets me right back up to 13.9 FPS levels in DCS! Nice find, guys. Now I can finally stop having to always go back to 13.9 whenever a new driver comes out and I try it, only to then be disappointed.

i am curious about your cpu usage, does it go down on 13.9? or all usage is same.... gpu usage goes up? same usage for both but only fps goes up? etc

Quick and dirty test to see if/what the difference is.

Averaged 90 seconds of data with 13.9 and 13.12

FPS 20

Avg CPU %72.31 *1 core

AVG GPU %63.45

GPU Mem 701Mb

FPS 26

Avg CPU %68.34 *1 core

AVG GPU %73.16

GPU Mem 707Mb

Data captured with HWInfo64 logging.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

we're really getting somewhere here. great thread! I'm wondering if a prior 13.9 might show a diff as well. I realize there's probably only so far that you go back or forth with the dll's, before it's out of sync with the kernel, etc.

we're really getting somewhere here. great thread! I'm wondering if a prior 13.9 might show a diff as well. I realize there's probably only so far that you go back or forth with the dll's, before it's out of sync with the kernel, etc.

I tried an earlier driver an had a atiumd64.dll crash just before entering the cockpit, like you say i reckon we can only go so far back before crashes start to happen.

I tried an earlier driver an had a atiumd64.dll crash just before entering the cockpit, like you say i reckon we can only go so far back before crashes start to happen.

thanks for checking... just confirms, I ain't budging off of 13.9 until EDGE... :)

thanks for checking... just confirms, I ain't budging off of 13.9 until EDGE... :)

Yes it seems 13.9 is the one to stay with, yesterday i downloaded Catalyst 13.4, 13.5 beta, 13.6 beta and all of these produced a crash with the atiumd64.dll, 13.8 beta works but the FPS was close to what 13.9 gives - as you know anything after 13.9 is a downwards slope of FPS drop with DCS.

Yes it seems 13.9 is the one to stay with, yesterday i downloaded Catalyst 13.4, 13.5 beta, 13.6 beta and all of these produced a crash with the atiumd64.dll, 13.8 beta works but the FPS was close to what 13.9 gives - as you know anything after 13.9 is a downwards slope of FPS drop with DCS.

ok, thanks

im on 13.12, so how can/should i go back to 13.9 ? suggestion ?

uninstalling 13.12 and reinstalling 13.9 ?

or should i change only the atiumd64.dll ?

in the past i got problems when i tried to go back to lower version

thanks

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

ok, thanks

im on 13.12, so how can/should i go back to 13.9 ? suggestion ?

uninstalling 13.12 and reinstalling 13.9 ?

or should i change only the atiumd64.dll ?

in the past i got problems when i tried to go back to lower version

thanks

It's very simple, just grab the attachment from this post and extract the .dlls to your DCS install bin folder

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1985566&postcount=28

to see results properly do a before and after test like i did, go into F-15 quicklight for example and enter the cockpit and pause the sim, take a screenshot of the FPS ctrl-pause, then inject the dll's into your bin folder and rerun the test and note the difference :)

Edited by Mustang

It's very simple, just grab the attachment from this post and extract the .dlls to your DCS install bin folder

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1985566&postcount=28

to see results properly do a before and after test like i did, go into F-15 quicklight for example and enter the cockpit and pause the sim, take a screenshot of the FPS ctrl-pause, then inject the dll's into your bin folder and rerun the test and note the difference :)

okay :thumbup:

just for clarification: no need to reinstall catalyst ?

only need to copy those two dll files to bin folder ?

thank you

sign-pic4.jpg

okay :thumbup:

just for clarification: no need to reinstall catalyst ?

only need to copy those two dll files to bin folder ?

thank you

Correct.

On a side note i'd like to mention that a few other DX9 titles benefit from this method, one in particular is Borderlands 2 (atiumd64.dll into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32)

Edited by Mustang

download the driver, run the exe to extract the DLLs, exit, Copy DLLs from folder to DCS/Bin. (usually something like X:/AMD/XXXXXXXXX/)

Will double check when I get home, I should have folders for everything since 12.1

Now I wonder if i can use those Modded DLLs from Unofficial driver packs that are tweaked via 3rd party :)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just tried placing the atiumd64.dll into my bin folder and I am getting 10FPS less than the 13.12's I am running. This is kind of odd. I have tested this on 2 different systems and they both perform worse with the atiumd64 file in the bin folder. I am running

Windows 8.1

16GB DDR3

i7 920@ 3.6GHz

ATi 6950 2GB FLeX

128GB SSD Crucial M4

No idea why mine runs better with the 13.12's though.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

Correct.

On a side note i'd like to mention that a few other DX9 titles benefit from this method, one in particular is Borderlands 2 (atiumd64.dll into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32)

thanks again :thumbup: confirmed: 15%+ with hd7950

sign-pic4.jpg

Just tried placing the atiumd64.dll into my bin folder and I am getting 10FPS less than the 13.12's I am running. This is kind of odd. I have tested this on 2 different systems and they both perform worse with the atiumd64 file in the bin folder. I am running

Windows 8.1

16GB DDR3

i7 920@ 3.6GHz

ATi 6950 2GB FLeX

128GB SSD Crucial M4

No idea why mine runs better with the 13.12's though.

If you are running 13.12 putting 13.9 dll's kills it.. get the atium64.dll (13.12)out of your system folder copy and paste into dcs wold/bin folder.I didn't get much fps gain, but stuttering gone which i've had since 1.2.7 update..

Correct.

borderlands is 32bit, dont you mean atiumdag.dll? i was doing this for borderlands 1 after 11.7 on my 4870x2 when framerates had a massive drop

this method is for anything & everything, dx9, dx10+, ogl, games, benchmarks, apps like photoshop, anything, just pick the appropriate dll for the api used (can even fix things like DXVA video decoding issues, but i dont know which dlls are used)

Now I wonder if i can use those Modded DLLs from Unofficial driver packs that are tweaked via 3rd party :)

no such thing as modded DLLs, it's absolute BS

there is a guy named dellon..something on guru3d posting fake legacy modded drivers, claiming to support new drivers on old cards, but i inspected them...

guess what he was doing? the newer drivers were with a smaller filesize than the older legacy supported ones since the legacy cards were removed from the code (13.1 7mb vs 12.6 10mb for example), so in order to trick everyone, he picked an even older legacy supported dll that was a similar filesize to the new one (11.4 7mb vs 13.1 7mb for example), absolutely disgusting

at best we have moded packages that are basically frankenstein drivers, making a soup of dlls from different versions in order to get specific features working

one could also theoretically edit the CAP XMLs so that different internal driver tweaks or profiles get loaded for a specific game

for truly modded dlls, one would have to decompile & recompile, basically the same techniques as cracking & i've only seen a single person come close to that... TwL on guru3d a few years ago, but i never got around to testing & inspecting his drivers to see how much he dug into them

anyway, it sounds like this DCS engine is very cpu limited & only single threaded or something? that's unfortunate... i would be interested in forcing entire game profiles to see if performance changes, just use CCC or rename the game exe

first ones i'd try would be borderlands2 & skyrim (due to the major cpu related changes & boosts they have done)

Edited by kn00tcn

If you are running 13.12 putting 13.9 dll's kills it.. get the atium64.dll (13.12)out of your system folder copy and paste into dcs wold/bin folder.I didn't get much fps gain, but stuttering gone which i've had since 1.2.7 update..

If he has 13.12 installed, there's no need to copy the 13.12 dll from the system folder to dcs world/bin. He just needs to delete any atium64.dll he might have put in bin/ and then DCS will just use the installed driver.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

If he has 13.12 installed, there's no need to copy the 13.12 dll from the system folder to dcs world/bin. He just needs to delete any atium64.dll he might have put in bin/ and then DCS will just use the installed driver.

Then what's the logic? Having installed 13.12 and 13.9 in the bin folder? Makes no sense.That was my case: 13.9 dll reduced my fps from 30 to 17 then i replaced it with actual driver's dll..I wouldn't know better sorry!

Then what's the logic? Having installed 13.12 and 13.9 in the bin folder? Makes no sense.That was my case: 13.9 dll reduced my fps from 30 to 17 then i replaced it with actual driver's dll..I wouldn't know better sorry!

What card cccc? only the 7xxx series and above (GCN tech i think) seem to benefit from the 13.9 atiumd64.dll trick.

Edited by Mustang