T.16000M FCS Hotas worthy for the A-10c?

twistking

Hello,

I am new to DCS and plan to buy the A-10c as my first aircraft, but before that i need to upgrade my sim-gear.

I want to buy a TrackIR, so i don't want to spend too much money on a high end stick.

I don't want to support saitek, because i've read so much about the quality problems with their products, but have now found this new thrustmaster stick, that has just been released.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

in germany it sells for 130€ which is quite cheap compared to top tier sticks...

i don't expect you to predict built quality, reliability and precision (i would just take the risk, or wait for the first reviews), but perhaps you could tell me, if the amount of buttons is sufficient (i think it has less "4-way-controllers" (?) than the real thing and also, if the lack of "dual-throttle" is a real problem.

if you consider the amount of buttons sufficient i will probably buy it and can give some feedback, if you are interested!

fly safe!

Might not want to rule out Saitek right away. Iv been using a used x-55 for over 80hrs now with no problems yet. (Knock on wood) Whatever you decide it definitely helps having 2 throttles for A-A refuel and emergency situations ie. Left engine fire, cut only left power. There are of course keyboard controls to do this but do you really want to be fumbling finding keys in that situation? Whatever you get you can always upgrade later if you like the sim (and you will)! Welcome by the way!

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

The t16000m is a great first controller to get started with, I now have CH gear.

t16000m is very accurate, it has hall sensors like it's big brother the warthog hotas.

Yes you will need to use modifiers. I'm away at the moment and don’t have my notes.

I kept most controls for the left hand around the arrow keys on the keyboard, so I remapped

and moved quite a few keys around.

I used Something like this:

Coolie Hat keys

Home=up

Delete = Left

End = Down

Page down = Right

Arrow keys normal = move cursor on tad, hud and maverick missile etc

Hold Right Shift + Arrow up = China Hat Fwd

Hold Right Shift + Arrow down = China Hat Aft

Hold Right Control + Arrow keys = (Optional) TMS, Boat switches, radio, Countermeasures, Brake extend Retract etc. Just try a few different ways.

Hold Right Shift + Joy POV hat = DMS (Set up left, right, up, down etc.)

Hold Right Control + Joy POV hat = TMS (Set up left, right, up, down etc.)

The joystick base buttons you could use for flaps, speed brakes etc.

All the buttons can be modified too using (Right Shift, Right Control) on the joystick so you can come up with a lot of combinations!

You will need to play around and find something that suits you, just be sure to put the main

controls at your finger tips.

If you have Track IR the Joy POV can be set standard to trim with no modifier.

Track IR is very recommended. (Game changer) Takes a little to get the hang of it.

EDIT: This was for the standard old T16000M when I started, so no throttle.

You could setup and add modifier buttons on the throttle I guess to get more functions out of the POV on the joystick.

I use the CH Fighterstick stick and the pro throttle and still use a shifted state to have even more buttons!

http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-d-719.html

http://www.chproducts.com/Fighterstick-v13-d-722.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by David OC
  • Like 2

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I feel the TM Warthog is _the_ HOTAS to fly the A-10C. Alas, it's expensive so the t16000m-fcs-hotas is a good alternative.

The hats on stick and throttle should be sufficient when used with modifiers and the only drawback is the one stage trigger, so PAC can't be activated like on the real plane.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Dual throttle needed for AAR??

(...)

Whatever you decide it definitely helps having 2 throttles for A-A refuel (...)

Would be interested to learn how does it help you? Mind elaborating a bit?

On a subject, I used to have Saitek X-52, Saitek X-52 Pro (as a upgrade choice), then I went for TM16000 but I did not like throttle slider, went for Logitech HOTAS but that was a mistake, and ended up with X-55. Used for 100+ hours of flight in DCS so far without a single glitch.

I suspect low quality of this TM throttle but this is just my opinion I could be very wrong, at the same time I could be on the ball with my assessment.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I also read the negative reviews then bought an X52 Pro about 2 months ago and have not regretted it yet. Quality seems great and have had no funny software glitches on Windows 10 64 bit with USB 3. Has made a massive difference to my SIM enjoyment. The T.16000M FCS Hotas looks interesting but seems to be a bit plastic, won't know until trying it.

I started in Black Shark with an ST290. It'll get it done. The question shouldn't be "Oh will this stick do good for DCS?"

In all likelihood, it'll do peachy keen. However, a more expensive set up is going to make things more enjoyable.

In the end? Don't worry about that just yet. Have fun with that TM16000 and have fun with DCS. If you find yourself taking out more and more time to play DCS or other flight sims in general, then start considering an upgrade. As mentioned here:

I also read the negative reviews then bought an X52 Pro about 2 months ago and have not regretted it yet. Quality seems great and have had no funny software glitches on Windows 10 64 bit with USB 3. Has made a massive difference to my SIM enjoyment. The T.16000M FCS Hotas looks interesting but seems to be a bit plastic, won't know until trying it.

The X-52 may be a good next step. Now, that said, I'm one of the people that have had a load of issues with the X-52 series. When I got a new PC, it outright froze up the system and I could not fix it no mater what I did. So, time to spend more money! I have a full CH set up now and I love it.

So, if you go the X-52pro right? Keep your receipt handy incase you need to return it.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

For aar I find it helpful to"walk" the throttles independent of each other. It seems easier to keep a constant speed with the tanker making smaller adjustments.

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

Roger that

For aar I find it helpful to"walk" the throttles independent of each other. It seems easier to keep a constant speed with the tanker making smaller adjustments.

Thanks!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I had a Satek before going to the TM.

Did not have any real probs with the Saitek X52, but having ALL the buttons on the TM where they are in the A10 and working the same way made a huge diff in flying missions. I still spend too much time trying to pick things on the dash and would love to add a touch control monitor with at least the MFD's and UFD on it. That to me is the most pure version of flying. Please keep us posted on your TRACK IR experience. My worry is track ir will get me sick after playing for as long as I do.

Heyhey,

thanks a lot for all the answers. Much appreciated.

As the T.16000M FCS HOTAS is not yet available, and i'm quite busy with work the next weeks, i'll (have to) wait a little either way and hopefully there are some review up until then, just to make sure.

well, but thanks again for the head-ups. solely reading abot the a10c int eh forums can be a bit intimidating at times, but now i'm confident that the equipment in question will be sufficient for my first steps into dcs.

i'll let you know, how things turn out. (i'll probably miss the double-action-trigger, now that i know of it....)

Edited by twistking

Id suggest mapping a different button to the trigger's first stage. Also in the control's editor you can make any button a 'modifier' meaning if that button is held while another is pressed you get another function. Really helpful with the hog as there are so many HOTAS buttons. For example my boat switch is also my mic switch when the modifier button is held.

Dunno if this has been posted here or not.

TrackIR is over priced in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'm sure TrackIR makes a quality product. However there's a cheaper way that is just as good. I made mine for $30. You need a wiimote a bluetooth dongle and 3 IR LED's which you can get from remotes. You can get instructions here:

http://www.desiquintans.com/headtrack

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

we are not discussing TIR here

Dunno if this has been posted here or not.

TrackIR is over priced in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'm sure TrackIR makes a quality product. However there's a cheaper way that is just as good. I made mine for $30. You need a wiimote a bluetooth dongle and 3 IR LED's which you can get from remotes. You can get instructions here:

http://www.desiquintans.com/headtrack

I hate to pi$$ on your parade but you just made me visit this thread thinking something interesting was posted ON THE SUBJECT

If you aren't getting the Warthog then Saitek is the only other way to go since you don't want to spend much. IF you get a stick that doesn't have enough buttons and 4 ways it's going to be a nightmare to set up. TBH, using anything but the Warthog with the A10 kind of sucks given what the stick is capable of.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I had a Satek before going to the TM.

Did not have any real probs with the Saitek X52, but having ALL the buttons on the TM where they are in the A10 and working the same way made a huge diff in flying missions. I still spend too much time trying to pick things on the dash and would love to add a touch control monitor with at least the MFD's and UFD on it. That to me is the most pure version of flying. Please keep us posted on your TRACK IR experience. My worry is track ir will get me sick after playing for as long as I do.

I'm guessing if it made people sick we'd have heard about it by now.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 4 weeks later...

What would be the best HOTAS for DCS fixed wing aircraft? I am using T16000 right now but I don't like single wheel for thrust and messy buttons location.

Warthog HOTAS looks nice but is it really worth its price if I replace A-10C with F-18C module to be released? T16000M does not appeal to me though...

What would be the best HOTAS for DCS fixed wing aircraft? I am using T16000 right now but I don't like single wheel for thrust and messy buttons location.

Warthog HOTAS looks nice but is it really worth its price if I replace A-10C with F-18C module to be released? T16000M does not appeal to me though...

Well, TM WH is awesome gear in terms of flying A-10C. All the buttons and HAT's are there. Also if you use it for anything else, because of all those buttons, you have lots of options to bind stuff.

But how base and some other components are made leaves much to be desired.

And when F-18 comes out we can only guess what TM is going to release (if anything). Being optimistic, hopefully they will release a compatible stick which you can only unscrew/screw on (like you can do with Cougar). All tho throttle handles you can't just unscrew/screw on like you can with a stick :D

And yes F-18 stick is SH

_dsc3510.jpg

Edited by Nu-NRG

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Don't think you'll be disappointed by the Warthog, if the price tag isn't a sticking point. I do agree that a mount of some kind is preferred to the default heavy metal base but there are lots of options out there either purchased or handmade.

You can also add an extension to the stick for a more realistic throw and finer control. Definitely an investment but if you're passionate about simming I think it's a good one. :)

I was considering TM but then went with X-55 Rhino as I find more use for its throttle base switches - although bit tight in terms of reaching some of them but give you more in terms of configuration. While I appreciate TM looks I still find it underdone at that price tag. And with TM you ought to invest in rudder pedals as well - good ones will cost you half the TM stick at least.

Stay with the current one I say until you are confident that this is what you want yo do.

Also observe Logitech -- something is going on after they acquired Saitek...

Also observe Logitech -- something is going on after they acquired Saitek...

This! I actually find it extremely interesting and curious to see what is coming out of it.

I just hope they dont do something stoopid but rather releasing something on par with TM.

I am a fan of Logitech when it comes to remotes, keyboards, mices and speakers.

• Like 1

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate