The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Sorry I'm a late to the party newb here.. Is there a guide or walk through or a how to or readme file or anything for actually using this program?

Also my understanding is that the purpose of this is to use Open Beta and Release with 1 installed copy of the game ? Any help is appreciated

Edited by BlackNova

Sorry I'm a late to the party newb here.. Is there a guide or walk through or a how to or readme file or anything for actually using this program?

Skate has a video in his first post on p1.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Also my understanding is that the purpose of this is to use Open Beta and Release with 1 installed copy of the game ? Any help is appreciated

Good questions. Wish I knew the answers. If it does what you think it may do then I would download it too.

The video on the first page mentioned doesn't make much sense if you don't know what the program is for and it is so horribly narrated. The video has 7700 & something views but not one "like". It needs to be redone.

Until then I guess we'll have to wait for someone with patience to come along who will explain what it is for.

Good questions. Wish I knew the answers. If it does what you think it may do then I would download it too.

The video on the first page mentioned doesn't make much sense if you don't know what the program is for and it is so horribly narrated. The video has 7700 & something views but not one "like". It needs to be redone.

Until then I guess we'll have to wait for someone with patience to come along who will explain what it is for.

I have to disagree. The video explains exactly what the utility is for and how to set it up.

However, in one sentence, the utility allows you to select different builds with different settings, e.g. one for VR and one for monitor.

Loads of other functions including doing a repair, clean or update at the click of a button.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

AFAIK you need one install for Beta and a separate install for Stable. I think within each you can have different builds, but not sure.

I too thought the video was good. Would live a 100 page pdf, but who has thtime.e.

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

A lot of i think and maybe.

You can manage up to 6 parallel DCS installations. Usually one for OpenBeta and one for Stable. But I've other developer build and maybe someone want to have more then one Stable/OB for mods (but can be solved better with OvGME).

For each DCS installation you can have up to 4 configurartion presets to switch between. I have one for single monitor, one VR, one VR with lesser settings for multiplayer and one for dual screen with MFCDs.

You can switch between installations and configurations, activate/deactivate VR without to start the game, open tools like model viewer and updater settings. Start a repair or an update.

Install/uninstall moduels like F/A-18C etc.

You can convert an installation between OB and stable so DCS would download only the delta. But atm the delta is HUGH. So not a good idea to do it several times.

You can revert to a specific build. E.g. good if DCS doesn't start like last patch with AMD limitation.

It has some features related to dedicated server, but I didn't use them.

AND you can add custom DCS launch script to start additional programms prior DCS starts.

A lot of great features. Everything can be done by knowing cmd commands and copy/paste but this tool is great.

If you have steam ... sorry go away. This gem is not for you. :D

Hope this helps.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Guys, all this is documented in Skate’s first post.

Guys, all this is documented in Skate’s first post.

Actually it's not. It is not clearly stated in the first post or by any of these recent posts here that you can download and install only DCS Stable on ones PC...and that this piece of software in question, will magically transform it into DCS Open Beta.

And that is what the question was about.

The term "Switching between builds" does not answer that question. Because one could have already downloaded both Open Beta and the Stable Version onto their machine.

Furthermore, the guy orating that video is either barely speaking proper English and obviously did not attend any elocution classes or he is talking in technical terms assuming that his listeners are tech savvy....usually both!

Actually it's not. It is not clearly stated in the first post or by any of these recent posts here that you can download and install only DCS Stable on ones PC...and that this piece of software in question, will magically transform it into DCS Open Beta.

And that is what the question was about.

The term "Switching between builds" does not answer that question. Because one could have already downloaded both Open Beta and the Stable Version onto their machine.

Furthermore, the guy orating that video is either barely speaking proper English and obviously did not attend any elocution classes or he is talking in technical terms assuming that his listeners are tech savvy....usually both!

This is all becoming pretty pointless, but just to carry on a bit longer, yes it does state that it switches between builds.

The utility does dozens of things, all of them documented in detail in the first post. And, it's not 'by magic', most of these things can be done via command prompts. The Utility just makes it easier in a GUI.

Edited by imacken

This is all becoming pretty pointless, but just to carry on a bit longer, yes it does state that it switches between builds.

The utility does dozens of things, all of them documented in detail in the first post. And, it's not 'by magic', most of these things can be done via command prompts. The Utility just makes it easier in a GUI.

Let me make this simple.

The question is, "Does the SkateZilla utility turn, an already downloaded and installed, DCS Stable Version into the DCS Open Beta version without one having to FIRST, or ever, download the DCS Open Beta version onto ones PC?"

It's not that simple.

A command prompt can always convert one build to another in DCS. Skate's utility just makes it simpler through a GUI.

This process going from say Stable to Open Beta means you only have one install, yes, but it's not 'by magic'. You have to download probably around 40-50Gb to convert one to the other.

It's not that simple.

A command prompt can always convert one build to another in DCS. Skate's utility just makes it simpler through a GUI.

This process going from say Stable to Open Beta means you only have one install, yes, but it's not 'by magic'. You have to download probably around 40-50Gb to convert one to the other.

Thanks. .....Jeez...how big is Open Beta? I assumed it was about 20 - 30 GB

altogether.....but it must be more like 75 or 100 now. If downloading 40-50GB is "saving space" on ones hard drive.

No wonder it is taking forever, maybe 26 hours by the look of it, to update and install the Super Carrier on my other PC. I haven't used that PC for DCS on over a year and it may not be fast enough to run DCS anymore.

I don't think SkateZilla's utility will work for me with my limited tech skills, either. Guess I'll just wait for the Stable Version to get an update.

Ok, so my OB install is almost 200Gb. Stable would be similar if I installed all terrains and modules.

"Does the SkateZilla utility turn, an already downloaded and installed, DCS Stable Version into the DCS Open Beta version without one having to FIRST, or ever, download the DCS Open Beta version onto ones PC?"

And the simple answer is: No!

As stated numerous times, it provides a gui for managing several useful "tricks" that can be done by other, often less intuitive and more complicated means.

Converting your Stable to Beta and back again cam be done with the DCS_installer.exe (the one running every time you staty DCS) but in a comand prompt, something not everybody feel confident with. This utility uses that same DCS_updater.exe and the same commands but with a gui to (hopefully) make it simplier and more intuitive. But not everyone think it does. That's okay. They just simply doesn't use it...

EDIT:

Disregard. I had this thread open in Tapatalk while doing other stuff, and it had not updated to include the ongoing discussion, so I was hopelessly late to the party without knowing ...

Sorry

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Found funny bug today, when internet connection goes down, the app displays red OFFLINE text, and when it goes online back again, text still stays red and says Connected. A bit confusing but ok :D Restart helps...

And Re: Open Beta, I always thought you can copy your DCS install, and install beta there and it will supposedly reduce the amount of things it downloads?

And Re: Open Beta, I always thought you can copy your DCS install, and install beta there and it will supposedly reduce the amount of things it downloads?
The DCS Installer will detect another copy of DCS and copy the files from it to save downloading them. It will then download and apply the deltas.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Found funny bug today, when internet connection goes down, the app displays red OFFLINE text, and when it goes online back again, text still stays red and says Connected. A bit confusing but ok :D Restart helps...

I'll look into this behavior, however, the app isnt written to keep tabs on the internet connextion, only to check when a function is going to use it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The DCS Installer will detect another copy of DCS and copy the files from it to save downloading them. It will then download and apply the deltas.

you can also set a local source.

Make a TXT in you Release Branch Folder

dcs_local_source.txt in UTF8

put the path to Open Beta Install.

So when Release Build is updated to match Open Beta, it will copy valid files from Open Beta before downloading.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Trivial point. The 'Latest Version Available' graphic has a mistake in the Release version number.

sz.jpg.6aa63591ef354058446e0699bca2e037.jpg

Trivial point. The 'Latest Version Available' graphic has a mistake in the Release version number.

Should be correct now,

All good!

Changelog for Version: 6.3.2020.1 / 1.1.0.1030

-Added DCS: Super Carrier Module Assets,

-Removed Install / Uninstall / Modules Section from System Tray Menu (condensing duplicate/redundant code, 1655 Lines),

-Added JSON Parsing for Branch/Version Fetching,

-Preliminary Code for Extra Application Slots,

-Adjusted Save Position of App\Window behavior,

-Added Save Position Button, Prevents Position from being corrupted during shutdown of application,

-Packaged Newtonsoft.Json.dll w/ exe for JSON Parsing,

-File Structured Updater Utility EXE and JSON DLL in Folder Before Compressing,

-Custom Applications Launch w/ DCS Added (5 Slots),

-Added 5 Text Boxes to Name Custom Applications,

-Adjusted Folder Scanning for Saved Games, If Options.lua is missing, Path is Cleared,

-Adjusted Modules Scan,

-Adjusted Builds Scan,

-Added Build Statistics To Main Screen,

-Enabled Dedicated Server options save (Checkboxes and Write Folder),

-Adjusted Dedicated Server Launch (Removed Locks on Regular DCS Launch, Allowing D. Server and DCS to Run at the same time),

-Added Screens Detection to App Startup,

-Added VB.Net -32000 px Window Position Bug Catch, if Detected, Window Resets Back to Main screen. It will note in log as well,

Added 5/1/2020:

-Rewrote Parts of the Process Scanning, Now Correctly Shows Processes Count, End Process Button, Closes Processes in Reverse Order of their Launch (Last Instance Launched will be first one closed),

-Rewrote Server Check, Added Servers 13-17, Also Changed Regions for Servers 1-12, Removed Flag Images,

-Graphics / Layout Changes for Processes and Server List,

-Added Updater Version to Latest Versions List,

-Adjusted Font/Sizing of Some Items,

-Adjusted Green/Red Light Graphics,

Added 5/3/2020:

-Added P-47 Assets,

-Updated All Module Button Graphics w/ new Graphics / Fonts,

-Revised Function Code for Updating To Specific Version / Branch,

-Added Base Function for Future Functions,

-Added Base Function for Manual Initialization and Installation of DCS World without Installer (using DCS_Updater), (This is New and Still may have some issues).

Added 5/7/2020:

-Rewrote All Functions w/ Exception Catches for Missing Files,

-Provision Base Code for Future Mods Management functions,

Added 6/2/2020

-Removed Redundant/Deactivated Functions,

-Adjusted External Network Ping Addresses,

-Added The Channel Theater Assets,

-Renamed "Terrains" to "Theaters",

-Adjusted Tool Tips (Removed Min. Version Required),

-Added Eagle Dynamics Discord Link

attachment.php?attachmentid=238280&stc=1&d=1591213669

Edited by SkateZilla

For the 3rd patch in a row, my settings were lost in the Utility. Well, not so much lost, but just all wrong. Had to recreate them. Why is this happening?

For the 3rd patch in a row, my settings were lost in the Utility. Well, not so much lost, but just all wrong. Had to recreate them. Why is this happening?

Which settings?

This Version only removed no longer used settings and added some new ones for saving ded. server options etc.

Which settings?

This Version only removed no longer used settings and added some new ones for saving ded. server options etc.

Sorry, ignore me. I was being an idiot! I assumed that the app would start up with my last selected preset, but, in fact, it starts with the Default one which I didn't notice. Same thing must have happened on previous recent occasions.

I'll go and stand in the corner for a while!