Ground Crews

_Acoustic_

There is too much detail in this sim not to have proper ground personnel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134316&d=1454915521

This is a low priority request but I think in a sim like this we need proper ground crews. Crash crew, fuelers, aircraft recovery spec, aircraft maintenance personnel, ect.

I'm sure someone here in the community could get this done but I've looked and failed for anything like this or a template for the infantry.

Screen_160207_235809.thumb.jpg.2f67f53ec530e936d909c4cb7f2f2b7b.jpg

:music_whistling: I had this wish already a long time ago and civilian traffic, but i think there must be more polished at the game in combination with the frames pro second. You can implement everything but is it then still playable?

Maybe when ED has dicided to port the engine to DX 12. Then there are more possibilities.:D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 5 months later...

Yes.. we are now 6 months later and have a new engine. Please animated groundcrew and flightofficers on the airfields. :music_whistling:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

Nice updates about maps, modules....but what about the groundcrew boys?

As a feature, i believe the Ground Crews should be attached to the planes as products.

Part of the production of a Plane should include the liveries and the "necessary" Ground Crews.

A good example (that i know of) is the Belsimtek F5E.

It requires so much interaction with the Ground Crew to operate (power, air, wheel chokes).

As per suggestion by OP, i believe each Plane should come with its Ground Crew "material".

Having Characters appear disappear is not a big issue (to me). But having them operate around the aircraft would create SO MUCH more immersion (than there already is).

The reason why i bring this up (and make a long post about it) is because, part of the issue with Ground Crews is, they take space on the tarmak and that can become an issue for setups in Editor.

If the Plane's "creators" were to include all the necessary Ground Crew; their models, animation, movements. Their movements and size and position could all be taken into consideration within a set bounding box. Which is pre-calculated when placing stuff in the editor.

So wherever the plane appears (pre-selected takeoff position, parking spot and so on), the ground crew would always appear at the same place -in relation to the plane- and do their thing.

Anyways, though i'd share.

Cheers,

And +1 and Rep to the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

Has anyone thought of creating a script that moves like a soldier on the ground to your location or to spawn there and just pretend tondo something in the mean time?

Good plan, maybe we must take as community the first step, so it comes on the radar from ED. I'll investigate the possebility's. Unfortunely i am a amateur. But one shot is better then nothng. Maybe some pro can look to it? :thumbup:

And for ED and partners i'll pay for ground crew. I know how better the product, how more people will pay for it. DCS is a simulator, so animated groundcrew simulated, makes DCS more superb then it already is. :D

Edited by boedha68

As I recall LN are looking at the flight deck crew to go with the F-14 & carrier. Would be nice to extend this to have a ground crew with each aircraft module. A nice to have though and I agree with you in principle, but I can also think of lots of other features I'd rather have first - like a fully functional ATC for instance. A do agree though that ground crew would make a big difference on those rather sterile airfields.

Great Idea. I've been silently hoping we would see something like that in the future. When I do my own little missions, I tend to place fuel and gpu-trucks near the aircraft parking spot just to make the ramp look a little bit more lively.

I'd like to see a stock refueling truck as a ground asset that's tied in with the airfield, and when you request refueling, the car would actually drive to you before the refuelling would start. Something similar with armament too. Even that would give so much more immersion to the ground operations, not to mention actual visible ground crews...

And ground crew is vital to making checks in more manual aircraft if you can't see your control surfaces. They can show for example flap and airbrake position when you test them.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Wow, guys. We must beginning small. If we have the basics, we can extend. :D:thumbup::music_whistling:

Edited by boedha68

I'll look tonight. :D

Hey Boedha, could you try skript a fuel truck that spawns next to the aircraft upon cold start if the player is not in one of the cramped hangars...? That would be a start...

Starting up the idea :D

As a feature, i believe the Ground Crews should be attached to the planes as products.

(...)

The reason why i bring this up (and make a long post about it) is because, part of the issue with Ground Crews is, they take space on the tarmak and that can become an issue for setups in Editor.

(...)

^

THIS!

Taking space by the ground crews (and their vehicles) on the tarmac shouldn`t be a problem - they should appear and move only in the given rectangle around the AC - this way they won`t collide with another`s AC`s ground crew. That means one more thing: the pilot would have to park the plane EXACTLY at the middle of the assigned spot (rectangle) - wich adds a lot of immersion!

Example - see how trailers parking is done in Euro Truck Simulator 2 .

On the other hand - it means a lot of scripting and animations work - but ED is doing it for the carriers anyway.

Dear ED - please !

Excuse my English, please.

I think there was a discussion around this already some time (years) back.

It was said then - let's fix ATC first and we can expand later. Well, later came and there is still much work to be done with both ATC logic & interacton as well as with its voice and commands.

There is no point investing in ground crew without rethinking vioce and sound strategy first.

Personally I would love to see military - style ATC comms and procedures (example: call in emergencies) first before going ahead with this old but nontheless brilliant idea of airbase clutter.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Looks brilliant! What does the script do at the moment? Find assigned Aircraft parking slots and drive next to them?

Haha... just used the mission editor. Playing with the objects of combined arms. Waypoints, time delays spawning. Nothing about scripting yet. It's maybe a startup of idea for the pros from the community, ED or partners. :D

It would be amazing if there was an option for the ground crew to inspect your plane for damage. Nothing fancy, maybe just a text dialog in the top right with "slight/heavy damage to left/right wing/fuselage" Maybe the inspection could take some time to do. If you do the inspection and they find very light damage the repair could go faster maybe?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

The repairing system for the most part is very gamey in DCS anyway. In case of real aircraft damage with modern aircraft there is a thorough inspections at least, not to mention the time to repair. If you ever want realistic repair systems to DCS, my call would be: if the Aircraft is damaged you lose it for the mission (may be fixed earliest in the next mission, if playing campaign).

I don't know about on-theater battle damage. I guess as long as critical systems are functional you can fly if you really need to.

On the other hand, WW2 aircraft might actually be repaired "on the spot", but even that takes more than 5 minutes :D

Back to the topic. Is someone here familiar with skripting DCS? I mean, I'd like to see someone try to make the game spawn fuel trucks next to every reserved parking place. That way the trucks don't magically appear when a player spawns in.

DCS Finland | SF squadron