BS1, BS2 upgrade and BS2 Standalone

wmar67

Hi all

I originally had installed BS1 and BS2 Upgrade. However, I recently bought BS2.

As far as I was aware, I had it installed, but when I try to load DCS and it asks me for the activation, I use the BS2 Standalone key and it says it's invalid.

When I go into the game and Modules, there's a small dialog saying I can upgrade from BS1 to BS2...however, BS1 isn't installed anymore.

It seems I've got in a pickle and I don't know how to get around it. BS1 isn't installed. BS2 Upgrade isn't installed and as far as I was aware, BS2 standalone was - but I can't activate it.

Any ideas out there on how I can get out of this mess?

Thanks

BS2 Standalone?

IIRC, there was BS1 stand alone before DCS World, then BS2 upgrade which installed into DCS World using the BS1 key for verification.

The BS2 full module, was for DCS World - ie purchased online and installed into DCS World with it's own activation key.

I may be just misunderstanding? I could also not be remembering correctly, my memory is not what it used to be alas...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had this problem in the past, but it needed a reinstall to fix.

What I suggest is checking that you have selected the correct version in the module manager as there are several different versions.

I assumed I had chosen the wrong one, but it may have been a different issue.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

There was a an upgrade for Black Shark 1 to bring it up to 2 or you could buy Black Shark 2. The upgrade was obviously cheaper and the "obvious" option for Black Shark 1 owners.

However, having to install BS1 before installing BS 2 Upgrade was a pain and when I saw BS2 (standalone - no BS 1 required) in the sale, I purchased it.

But it's not showing up in the modules...only upgrading to BS2 and I need BS1 installed to do that - which I don't have installed anymore. Besides, I bought the BS2 module to get away from upgrading from BS 1 and requiring BS 1 to be installed.

I've had this problem in the past, but it needed a reinstall to fix.

What I suggest is checking that you have selected the correct version in the module manager as there are several different versions.

I assumed I had chosen the wrong one, but it may have been a different issue.

When I load the Modules window, I'm shown a small dialog that says "Upgrade from DCS Black Shark 1 to DCS Black Shark 2". I dismiss that window because I don't want the upgrade.

Then when I check out the Modules window, the Module Manager only shows "Upgrade from DCS Black Shark 1 to DCS Black Shark 2" with an Install button....no BS2 standalone portion showing

• ED Team

In Module Manager open Installed tab, click on recycle bin icon right of BS2_upgrade then launch DCS again, open MM and install full version.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

I've created a support ticket.

I completely removed DCS 2 from my machine so there were NO DCS products on my machine. I then reinstalled it and it asked me if I wanted to install the various modules I had - which I did...but the activation key for BS2 Standalone was not being accepted and it still kept asking me for the BS2 Upgrade key also.

What a mess.

• ED Team
I then reinstalled it and it asked me if I wanted to install the various modules I had - which I did...

You shouldn't install ALL the modules. It's an error. BS2_update and BS2 modules are mutual exclusive, so if you had BS2_upd installed, you can't install BS2_full.

You need to uninstall BS2_upd module and install full version, it will resolve your problem. Just do all steps which I describe in my previous post.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

• ED Team

can you attach your whole logs folder zipped here, guide in my signature

just to be clear, you only need to install BS2 and not BS2 upgrade, if you install the upgrade version the other BS key will not be accepted

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

I have more or less the same problem. I bought BS1 and the upgrade to B2 but now I am re-installing DCS on a new computer and the Module manager says I can install the upgrade from BS1 to BS2. But when I try to do that, I get the message that I should install BS1 first. Now I have BS1 on my hard disk, but when trying to install it I get the message that this version cannot be installed and that I should download BS1 again.

Now my big question is: where can I find the correct version of BS1 to download? I do not see it in the shop.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Now my big question is: where can I find the correct version of BS1 to download? I do not see it in the shop.

It isn't in the e-shop because it cannot be purchased any longer. The download, however, is available here.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/previous_versions/dcs_black_shark_english/

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
How do I buy BS2 upgrade for BS1? I dont want to purchase BS2.

You can't. It is no longer available for sale. The purchase of BS2 is your only option, unless someone, privately, sells/gives you an upgrade key.

Many here purchased BS2, to avoid the upgrade hassle, and have given away their upgrade key.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I want to add to this another small thing.

I had BS1 (first Black Shark) Then I had the upgrade. After a while I got the full DCS BS 2 module at a sale so I removed DCS BS 2 upgrade and installed BS 2 "stand alone"

It worked no problem.

But!

I don't have BS2 upgrade anymore linked to my account but It seems DCS W knows I have the DVD of BS1 so it keeps suggesting in the "Modules" from module manager the DCS BS2 upgrade.

Is not a big issue but since the actual BS 2 upgrade isn't even available for sale anymore... maybe it should be removed altogether from there because is annoying a bit to keep seeing it for people that actually bought BS1, BS2 Upgrade and BS2 stand alone.

I attach 2 pictures so it is clear what I mean:

keMA0sY.jpg

A6uqs87.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I want to add to this another small thing.

I had BS1 (first Black Shark) Then I had the upgrade. After a while I got the full DCS BS 2 module at a sale so I removed DCS BS 2 upgrade and installed BS 2 "stand alone"

It worked no problem.

But!

I don't have BS2 upgrade anymore linked to my account but It seems DCS W knows I have the DVD of BS1 so it keeps suggesting in the "Modules" from module manager the DCS BS2 upgrade.

Is not a big issue but since the actual BS 2 upgrade isn't even available for sale anymore... maybe it should be removed altogether from there because is annoying a bit to keep seeing it for people that actually bought BS1, BS2 Upgrade and BS2 stand alone.

Remove Your Blackshark 1 and Black Shark 2 Upgrade Keys from the Registry and ED Login.

Save in a File somewhere for records.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Both serials are unbind from my account since 06.06.2015 and BS1 was never installed on my current Windows 10. Same for the upgrade obviously. So there is no trace in my registry of the 2 serials.

Still... I am offered the upgrade.

Must be something else I think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 1 month later...

The upgrade version is no longer for sale. Your only purchase option is to by the BS2 full version. Watch for a sale, if money is tight, since it regularly goes on sale for a decent discount.