How to Add Custom Pages to the Kneepad

While poking around with the Kneepad system in DCS, I discovered how incredibly easy it is to add your own custom pages to the kneepad. I couldn't find a thread here on the topic, so I thought I would create one! (I'd add it to the wiki, but I don't seem to be able to edit anything - what use is a wiki you can't contribute to?)

Anyway, to add custom pages to your Kneeboard:

1. In your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder, create a folder named KNEEBOARD
  2. In that folder, add the images you want. They can be PNG or JPG (maybe other formats too?), and any size - they will be scaled to fit. Keep them to a 3:4 portrait aspect ratio, though, or they will become distorted.
  3. That's it! In game, open up your kneepad, then hit "previous page" to flip through your custom pages!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• ED Team

Its a very handy option, especially for keeping important information handy while in mission. . .

:)

I always keep a picture of my cat handy, you can never have enough pictures of cats

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

• ED Team
(1) Can the kneepad be opened in any DCSW sim aircraft?

(2) What is the keystroke?

Thanks!

all aircraft in DCSWorld have the kneeboard, just check your controls under the sub heading kneeboard

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

But please note that it is always placed in the lower right corner. This can become troublesome if you have more than one monitor. I have not found a way to move it yet, so using PeterP's properly placed kneeboard mod.

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

Its a very handy option, especially for keeping important information handy while in mission. . .

I always keep a picture of my cat handy, you can never have enough pictures of cats

i use it for keyboard commands listing :music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Watch out though , your co-pilot might be a dog person. That can get nasty.

• ED Team
Watch out though , your co-pilot might be a dog person. That can get nasty.

had to remove the cat pictures the copilot was a dog man after all lol

This is very handy for keeping procedures and check lists if you have a bad memory like me ;)

• ED Team
I just write controls and commands down on paper most of the time, and now that you can actually adjust controls in game I don't even have to do that anymore.

That's fine if you are not in multiplayer wearing oculus rift :thumbup:

Thanks, but:

(1) I created the kneeboard folder but in FC3 it shows alot of pages for maps and airfields I did not put in the kneeboard folder

(2) can the pilot body be shown in the FC3 jets cockpits like it does in BS?

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• ED Team
Now I hate you! :(

Dont worry I hate myself as well, I am waiting for the retail release before I buy the oculus, I was just showing an example :)

Is this kneepad something new in 128 beta? I am still on 127 and do not see a key command for it under controls.

Thanks

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

• ED Team
Is this kneepad something new in 128 beta? I am still on 127 and do not see a key command for it under controls.

Thanks

kneeboard is in 1.2.7 as well, but if you have kept your old key configs from earlier versions you may be missing the keys.

if you clear out your input folder ( make a backup ) dcs will generate new ones when you redo your keys in options, this should enable the kneeboard controls in your config

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

• 3 months later...

How to add pages stated in this thread (check 1st page).

To remove a page, browse: "..\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Kneeboard\" folder.

I rename this folder if I don't want it to display in kneeboard.

Your new page(s) should be 768x1024 pixels.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5 & M.Quest3 VR
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

File size or picture dimension don't seem to matter. As said in OP the picture dimension is resized to 4:3.

But what seems to be important is the file extension. It took me quite some time to figure out why I couldn't see any of my own pages. It turned out that .PNG doesn't work but .png does. The file extension is case sensitive. Go figure:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Aircraft specific kneeboard?

Is there a way to have certain kneeboard pages only show up when flying certain aircraft?

Example: You own all aircraft modules, however you want the A-10 startup guide to show on the kneeboard only when in the A-10.

But please note that it is always placed in the lower right corner. This can become troublesome if you have more than one monitor. I have not found a way to move it yet, so using PeterP's properly placed kneeboard mod.

for info of anyone else searching... took a while for me to find this....

edit file ...DCSWorld\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua..

around line 29.... here's the original and my edited line for positioning and size...

Hope this helps..

ORIGINAL: dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

EDITED: dedicated_viewport = {1358,1090,562,750}

• Like 1

for info of anyone else searching... took a while for me to find this....

edit file ...DCSWorld\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua..

around line 29.... here's the original and my edited line for positioning and size...

Hope this helps..

ORIGINAL: dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

EDITED: dedicated_viewport = {1358,1090,562,750}

Genius! Thanks CJS, rep inbound :thumbup:

I would like to add to this thread. Don't know if it's been mentioned before.

When adding custom images too the KNEEBOARD folder, these images MUST have a lower case file extension.

Kneeboard will not load images with an upper case extension.

There were some profanity going on until I found this to be the cause of my problems. :)

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick