CDU Wind correction done right

Boris

It is not correct to real life but it's not that bad either. The only thing that does not make any sense at all is that lower layers have stronger winds that higher layers, that cannot happen and least of all in such big amounts.

Does anyone know if JTAC gives wind in correct format? So if they say 270/10 it means that the wind is coming FROM the west (like in real life)?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Confirmed: JTAC gives wrong wind direction, just like in the mission editor. He gives you where the wind blows to rather than where it blows FROM.

Cheers.

Edited by JohnnyQ

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

I didn't read all the pages, i am sorry if what i will say as been said before. On DCS the airport wind are wrong.

ATC reported winds are where they are from not where they are going to. In other word the wind should be 090 at 19 that mean that they are coming from the east and flowing direction west.

Again i am new into DCS and maybe this issue as been raise before.

o7

I didn't read all the pages, i am sorry if what i will say as been said before. On DCS the airport wind are wrong.

ATC reported winds are where they are from not where they are going to. In other word the wind should be 090 at 19 that mean that they are coming from the east and flowing direction west.

Again i am new into DCS and maybe this issue as been raise before.

o7

Welcome to DCS!

Yes, the issue that you mention had been pointed out in the first post of this thread.

What I was confirming is that the same problem applies to JTAC, they use the format set in the mission editor instead of real life indications. I discovered it the hard way yesterday after loading the wind from the JTAC into the CDU and watch how all bombs where falling off target :joystick:

I took me a bunch of crash with the P51 trying to takeoff on the campaign challenge trying to find where the wind was coming from with no windsock and the aircraft behaving wrongly on takeoff. I am glad that it's been raise, hopefully they will fix it.

o7

i havent tested how the ATC gives wind direction. I hope it's not wrong too. I will test it tonight.

I'm sorry to bring bad news, but the wind computing system is currently bugged.

See post http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146465

Made me very sad to find this out.

• 1 month later...

If I don't have any wind info on the mission, I usually read the wind values off the CDU as I climb out. If you're entering these as you go, make sure the wind correction is set to NONE, to make sure you're getting the aircraft's readings, not the one's you've manually corrected for. And then of course, once you have all your layers punched in, remember to set it back to WIND or BOTH, to make sure your changes are taken into account.

FORGET THIS POST BELOW (solution above)

I was testing the LASTE system, trying to input wind data while climbing from airport.

I'm not sure if this is per function, or it is a bug.

When setting wind data while climbing, the wind measurement halts at the inputted data. Only temp is continuing measuring, slowly decreasing while gaining altitude as expected. If clearing the LASTE-data, current wind data is correctly displayed and updated.

I was hoping to be able to put in winddata while climbing instead of writing it down at paper.

Is this per function, or should I report it as a bug?

NOTE: I'm running DCS 1.5.

Edited by Vantskruv
Boris post solved it

• 5 months later...

When entering the temperature, how do you enter a negative number?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hey BD,

I was reading the beginning of this thread (and I know it's quite old on page 1), but it mentions having to flip the wind direction for entering in the CDU. However, I know that your FRAGO's/briefings say "CDU Ready".

I'm assuming this means that we don't need to do any mental math when entering the winds, correct?

Up to this point, I've just been entering the values you've provided and my boom sticks have been deadly accurate.

I just wanted to confirm that either the issue within DCS itself has been fixed, or you've already done the ME-to-CDU conversion values for us.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense. Once again, I'm typing away furiously while at work ha.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

I was reading the beginning of this thread (and I know it's quite old on page 1), but it mentions having to flip the wind direction for entering in the CDU. However, I know that your FRAGO's/briefings say "CDU Ready".

I'm assuming this means that we don't need to do any mental math when entering the winds, correct?

Correct, no need to convert anything.

Note, this is only true for The Enemy Within campaign (and probably other missions from Baltic Dragon as well) - DCS itself hasn't changed anything, the winds that can be set in the Mission Editor still need to be converted for use in the CDU (although I'm not 100% sure if 2.0 changed anything in this regard, but I don't remember ever reading anything about it).

Thanks guys! I thought so. Much thanks for doing that for us!

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

• 9 months later...

So after I type in 032 ( in the degrees/temp area) I presss what key?

Is that key called lsk? Or is it the input button twice? I hope I making that clear.

Another words I think I just type the number in and then hit the number on CDu that I normally click, but instead it twice?

I will try when I get back from walking the dog:thumbup:

I don't know if I input something wrong (I left the neg degrees ones blank because I didn't know how to get a beg number it the temperature slot)w bombs were so far off it was horrible when I did the campaign enemy within...so I'll have to see .

I couldn't get the laser moms to work properly

So after I type in 032 ( in the degrees/temp area) I presss what key?

Is that key called lsk? Or is it the input button twice? I hope I making that clear.

I thought you were following the first post to the letter and only needed to know how to enter negative temperature values.

"LSK" is a "Line Select Key" and is the naming convention for buttons on the CDU on the right console.

"OSB" is an "Option Select Button" on the Multi Function Color Display (MFCD).

With the MFCD set to CDU repeater, when you punch in a temperature value and you hit an OSB to set this particular temperature to an altitude layer, just hit the same OSB again to toggle the value from positive to negative, and that's all there is to it. :thumbup:

You don't need to use the MFCD for this purpose; in case you use the CDU on the right console (instead of the CDU repeater on either MFCD), you'd have to use the LSKs to punch in data. Hence "Just hit the LSK/OSB twice" :smartass:

Now, if you've no clue what the hell I'm talking about, I'm pretty sure wind correcting bombs isn't what you should be focusing on just yet. :smartass:

I remember a bug report about the wind correction a long time ago, my experience during the enemy within campain was a much worst calculatet release point after editing the wind correction.

Is that bug already fixed???

Edited by Jafferson

Thank you for the help is able to put the wind and temperature in. but I did notice that when I use the laser at Paveway style bombs did not follow the laser. answer should be noted that I'm not supposed to use those in that campaign as it's not supposed to be one that's available. I'll try it with the bombs you're only supposed to use and see if I have better results . (By the way I'm doing speak typing I'm not typing, so if spelling/ grammar is off, that's why.)

Edited by Hermit713

I remember a bug report about the wind correction a long time ago, (...)

Is that bug already fixed???

Do you have a link?

I mean, there were several lengthy threads about this topic. What I took from them was, a) the topic es really complex and "I entered the wind and it still missed!!1" does not mean much. There are many more variables that come into play when it comes to dumb bomb delivery. And b) maybe just because of a) there were no real errors with CDU wind correction as such reported. It always came down to either wrong delivery technique or just wrong expectations.