KA50 Target Designator "a bad JOKE"

OGREMAN

Over the many re-iterations and insults that are DCS patches ..... I have come to accept that the KA50 is being quietly allowed to fall into a slow decay from benign neglect. I could live with this slow fall into digital decay just as long as I could get my much loved "wobbly wing" to actually engage a target.

• Bad enough that the way the laser range designator cone jumps around, is making a total mockery of any self respecting weapons targeting designer. see here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1529894&postcount=11 . and here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1529908&postcount=13
  • Bad enough that the KA50s premier long range BIG HITTER weapon (Karen) is now no more use than a EMPTY DROP TANK.
  • Bad enough that the only way to get a full on intense combat experience with any ground attack aircraft is to FLY IN SINGLE PLAYER.
  • now that the target designator refuses to ground stabilise (defaulting to auto sweep) because its raining this is making it almost impossible to engage anything ... well "I GIVE UP".

All that frustration has now reached a point of extreme irritation, so much so.... that after being a hard core fan from the very beginnings of this software developer, I am not only considering abandoning the KA50 I am really wondering if DCS is worth my continued time money or effort.

Edited by OGREMAN
spelling/grammer
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel you, the state that the ka-50s fallen into is really frustrating.

all these tiny things come together and make it into one big mess

Dont forget the datalink cutting out on 124 mhz

i used to actually like flying the ka-50 at night, now its a horrible frustrating experience, with the shkval going from a lased 6km to 0.1km when you slew it.

Edited by karambiatos
  • Like 1

Thanks Karam.... I was trying to limit my examples to the most annoying but you are quite right that there are a lot more frustrating performance drops than I have indicated ..... not only confined to the KA50, across the wider areas of the whole of DCS.. seems that eye candy/novelty have priority over consistency/reliability. 1step forward ..... 2 steps back.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED is surely biting much more than they can chew right now. Hope they have the stomach to digest everything and that we have the patience to slowly absorb all of its nourishment.

I'm pretty sure the Ka-50 will eventually get fixed, but that will take a long time.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they threw at us yet another paid upgrade: Black Shark 3.

If the price were right I'd pay for it as an upgrade to BS2. :pilotfly:

Edited by dok_rp

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they threw at us yet another paid upgrade: Black Shark 3.

If the price were right I'd pay for it as an upgrade to BS2. :pilotfly:

only if it has the ability to use click trim method without an FFB (which still needs fixing and is probably the most annoying thing about the ka-50).

I would prefer Black Shark 3 upgrade with a modernized KA-50, including night- and bad weather fighting capabilities.

Tekken

Asus Sabertooth Z77, I7-3770K @ 4,4 Ghz, 8 Gbyte RAM, ATI 6950 @ 6970, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Samsung 26", TrackIR 5 Pro, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFD's, Hotas Warthog

only if it has the ability to use click trim method without an FFB (which still needs fixing and is probably the most annoying thing about the ka-50).

+1

also for me the most annoying behaviour when you press the trim button and then your nose is diving into the ground. :joystick:

But we should be patient. I think working on ww2 enviroment will fix these issues. :thumbup:

Dear god!

What is wrong with you people, ...... lets turn this into a "WANT MORE EYE CANDY" or "GET ME SOMETHING NEW" thread.....

When it should be a "GET THIS BROKEN SIM FIXED" thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear god!

What is wrong with you people, ...... lets turn this into a "WANT MORE EYE CANDY" or "GET ME SOMETHING NEW" thread.....

+1

KA50 Target Designator "a bad JOKE"

Dear god!

+1 for this. Eye candy wont help if our helos/planes / ai etc.. Is fubar :)

• Like 1

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not entirely convinced that the problems you are having are bugs and not features. For example the Shkval not ground stabilizing when it is raining is more likely something coded in to reflect real-life behavior than anything else.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I'm not entirely convinced that the problems you are having are bugs and not features. For example the Shkval not ground stabilizing when it is raining is more likely something coded in to reflect real-life behavior than anything else.

To me, it never ground stabilizes. It used to, though. Now, there's a small but very irritating constant slew.

The range after lasing is also completely broken. It used to work a little. It got broken some updates ago.

It ground stabilizes just fine for me, I hit the Lock Target button on my HOTAS and it holds its place on the ground even when I have nothing targetted. I haven't really experienced any problems with the Shkval or noticed any of the behavior the OP mentioned. This supposedly only occures in the rain? I've only had BS2 for a week and haven't got more than 10 hours of flying time, so I'm not sure. But maybe it's intentionally modelled that way? I noticed there is a windshield wiper button for the Shkval which is clickable, that might help.

I agree that the Ka-50 is slowly moving towards "unusable".

Will all our paid for modules eventually end up this way?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

It should stabilize on the distance set by the laser, no matter the weather, well as long as the laser can get hit something, but what it likes doing is after the laser countdown reaches 0 it just jumps to some random distance measurement, and screw up, it usually goes down to some insane distance like 0.1 or 2 (from a lased 8 or more km) and at that point it just goes everywhere.

I've actually had my ka-50 nosedive when flying low and having the turn to target autopilot on, and it did it for no reason at all, just jumped to 0 km.

The inertial distance measurement on the shkval has gotten so bad that id rather it be removed from the game completely than having to deal with it any more.

What really annoys me with the ka-50 is that first you find a strange but pretty humongous problem, you report it, then you have to fight other community members about that think otherwise (some with very little to no experience in the ka-50) then you need to fight the testers, then maybe if he likes you and agrees he'll report it, and then who knows what happens after that.

I've seen complaints about the Ka-50 before. I own it, but I barely use it to its potential. I don't see problems, but again that doesn't mean anything if I'm simply not using all the features.

One reason why the Ka (and quite a few other things) may be sidelined could be EDGE. It may not make sense to fix things now when the whole system is going to be thrown out soon. This is just speculation without an answer from ED though.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I've seen complaints about the Ka-50 before. I own it, but I barely use it to its potential. I don't see problems, but again that doesn't mean anything if I'm simply not using all the features.

One reason why the Ka (and quite a few other things) may be sidelined could be EDGE. It may not make sense to fix things now when the whole system is going to be thrown out soon. This is just speculation without an answer from ED though.

ED has said again and again that EDGE is *only* an update to the graphics engine. There shouldn't be anything thrown out on the backend of the individual modules.

Yeah, but then the Ka-50 is a consumer product with a low price tag originally released in 2008 that doesn't generate much (if any) revenue anymore, so why should they support it at a loss forever? They never promised to do so and I know I personally wouldn't either ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

If it were not for the KA 50, i would never have found DCS. So from that perspective, it has generated, from attracting my attention...

DCS Black Shark

BS2 Upgrade

BS2 Standalone

A-10C

UH-1

FC3

P-51D

MI-8

... eight sales, for a total of ~$350. I plan to spend more money on future modules, as well.

Unless, of course, if ED should persist in their neglect of the Shark. If they'll let one fall into decay, why not more? Hell, they might even stop supporting all previous modules each time they release a new aircraft. They've never promised otherwise, right?

ED has said again and again that EDGE is *only* an update to the graphics engine. There shouldn't be anything thrown out on the backend of the individual modules.

It could still have an impact in obscure ways. DCS is not as modular as it probably should be in an ideal world - the software has gone a long way and has undergone many changes.

For example the integration of (the possibility to add) a new terrain could cause a lot of tiny changes. And the laser ranger function depends on terrain data ... so, I could very well imagine that the problems are related to the EDGE integration somehow.

Yeah, but then the Ka-50 is a consumer product with a low price tag originally released in 2008 that doesn't generate much (if any) revenue anymore, so why should they support it at a loss forever? They never promised to do so and I know I personally wouldn't either wink.gif

... on the other hand, they also never said that they would actually break it one day either ... :o)

Yeah, but then the Ka-50 is a consumer product with a low price tag originally released in 2008 that doesn't generate much (if any) revenue anymore, so why should they support it at a loss forever? They never promised to do so and I know I personally wouldn't either ;)

If they don't want to fix what was previously working, and simply want to stop supporting it, then they should come out with a statement and say so.

Wouldn't that be the correct thing to do?

Actually, the BS2 module is more recent than the A10c module. And it was sold either as an upgrade, or as a full-price module.

And I strongly agree with Shurugal, the only reason why I got to DCS was because of the Shark. It's still my fav, and will remain so for as long as it gets the attention it deserves. I bought the others for the sake of variety and to support ED. Learning the A10 is neat and all, but I'm really more of a rotor head. I would be really disappointed if the KA was left aside from now on.

That said, ED is doing an incredible work on the whole DCS world and its maintenance. Maybe they have a lot of stuff on their hands and priorities on other departments?

Sorry BUT

The only thing i know of is the KH25-ML Proplem and this i can handle if it will be fixed once upon a time..

Nothing else for me. (The Shkval proplem pops up once in a month or so by flying the Shark nearly daily)

So can somebody please explain to me what those HUGE proplems are and why Flying the Shark is sooo frustrading ?

The point that me frustrades that there are no good and new Multiplayer missions for the KA-50 Coming up.

And is it just me who see the KA-50 pilots in Multiplayer only hanging around in Autohover or Something like that....later catching the next Wire guided missile and writing *I hate this Helicopter* into the Chat.

Whats going on ....Where is the KA-50 Spirit?

I love this Helicopter like it is and i like it cause its usage during Combat is hard.

I think the People are spoiled by flying the A-10C at 20000f drobing a GBU on a target what the JTAC did tell them before .. the Pilot skill here is : *Press some buttons* thats all.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Like 1

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom