Road map for learning

Hey!

Is there a A10C pilot that would give me a hint for how to bring some efficiency in my way of learning all the systems? The best thing that works for me at this time is basicly flying the plane. I have much knowledge from civil flight simulators.

At the moment I read and read and read, jumping from one system to another and at the end I realize that I have learned just a little :smartass: but it does not feel like progress.

What was your way thru learning the systems? How much hours do you train for 1 weaponsystem? How long takes your training time all in all to a point where you can say "i am able to fly a A10C"?

I appreciate every hint,

Thank you!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Do the training missions, missions (Hideout is a very detailed and easy mission), campaign...

If there's something you can't execute well then train doing that.

You can also check out Sabre’s qualification campaign:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=62992

The two currently available training campaigns cost $10 total with the final one on the way which will cost an additional $5.

The missions are based on what we currently know about the A-10C training procedures.

Rhinozherous,

I just started a video series that documents my learning process for the UH-1 that might help you out, not on the A-10, but just in general:

I break the process down into two key points. First, I read about the system once to get an overview, use the system in the sim, and then read about the system one more time for comprehension. The manual makes a lot more sense once you have a little experience. The second point is not to get stuck on one system or procedure. I really fell into the trap while learning the A-10 of doing the start-up over and over until I mastered it and not actually flying the aircraft. I have found that if you get stuck trying to figure something out that moving on to other systems can help. Sometimes systems have to be seen in the context of how they interact with everything else on the aircraft in order for them to make sense.

I also have a lot of mission fly-through videos that show how it all ties together. There are a lot of tutorials out there showing how everything works but next to nothing showing how is is all used during a mission, much less with commentary from the pilot. This is probably the best of the lot at this point:

As for estimating a timeframe for learning everything, there really is no answer. It just depends on how much detail you want to get into. The well is bottomless and I still learn something new every time I fly it. I thought I knew what I was doing a year ago but, looking back, I had no clue. I am sure I will say the same thing looking back a year from now. :) All that matters in the end is whether or not you're having fun.

The thing I did way back was fly the first instant action mission until I got proficient with my TMS, DMS and weapon delivery. This allowed me to then learn other systems. Flying online and asking questions will generally get you information overload but is invaluable in perfecting the various apects of flying and fighting the plane:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's my "roadmap". I like to think I pick things up very fast.

-set up controls to a way if can understand their layout and I write them down.

-put the plane in the editor and some defenseless ground units and figure out whatever I can, mostly finding the limits of the plane and weapons systems.

-go through whatever tutorials I think are necessary or interest me

-go in multiplayer and teamspeak and learn the other 90% there from other people. There are a lot if people who really enjoy helping others figure out the A-10C. If you make sure that you're being teachable you'll get far in a hurry.

That's with the A-10C at least. With the huey I skipped all the middle steps.

Hint #1: Ensure a complete and thorough understanding of the principles contained in pgs 397 - 401 of the A-10C Flight Manual.

Once you decide that you do indeed understand the principles, move to hint #2 below.

Hint #2: Ensure a complete and thorough understanding of the principles contained in pgs 397 - 401 of the A-10C Flight Manual.

Once Hint #2 conquered, proceed at leisure with rest as mentioned in previous posts.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Repetition, repetition, and - oh, right - repetition! Do those training missions over and over again, and once you get it down how they teach you to, feel free to deviate a little bit, maybe play around with a few of the settings, like some of the many options you have for the GBU-12s and such.

Once that's done, you'll learn training and combat application are very different. First thing you'll notice after starting up missions is that things shoot back at you. The training missions don't prepare you for this, so it'll be a trial by fire. Alternatively you can just set up a mission in the editor where you just let yourself get shot at, and try dodging in multiple ways and see what works best for you and for different types of missiles. The best way to avoid missiles, you'll find, is to deny them the option to even get a shot off at you. Altitude, terrain cover, and force-correlated AGM-65s (for the extra launch range) are your best tools for this.

Tl;dr DON'T STOP LEARNING

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

Pilots, thank you all!

Your posts are very helpful to me!

Bunyap is already subscribed and the next thing I am going to deal with Sabre's qualification campaign.

But the first task I have already done is that I flown around for two hours, without weapons or anything. And I must say, the A10C flies very comfortable, which is very motivating :)

And I printed Checklists and Surveys for a folder (good old paper is still the best)

Learning can begin

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Another thing that helped me was to watch the youtube tutorials from other players. If you have a laptop or second source of internet access you can sometimes fly along with them in missions pausing where needed to you fully understand what they are talking about. DCS has an active pause so that you can do things while everything else is frozen which help beginners a lot.

Read the manual but don't print it out. It would just scare you to see how big it is...

I read it on my iPhone :book:

A big part you can skip and come back to later is the CDU

An important part of learning the A-10 is gear. A good HOTAS cuts down the learning time immensely. So does a TrackIR because you don't have to deal with view commands. With both of those your task is only as difficult as a real pilots is but not more so.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Rhinozherous,

I just started a video series that documents my learning process for the UH-1 that might help you out, not on the A-10, but just in general:

I break the process down into two key points. First, I read about the system once to get an overview, use the system in the sim, and then read about the system one more time for comprehension. The manual makes a lot more sense once you have a little experience. The second point is not to get stuck on one system or procedure. I really fell into the trap while learning the A-10 of doing the start-up over and over until I mastered it and not actually flying the aircraft. I have found that if you get stuck trying to figure something out that moving on to other systems can help. Sometimes systems have to be seen in the context of how they interact with everything else on the aircraft in order for them to make sense.

I also have a lot of mission fly-through videos that show how it all ties together. There are a lot of tutorials out there showing how everything works but next to nothing showing how is is all used during a mission, much less with commentary from the pilot. This is probably the best of the lot at this point:

As for estimating a timeframe for learning everything, there really is no answer. It just depends on how much detail you want to get into. The well is bottomless and I still learn something new every time I fly it. I thought I knew what I was doing a year ago but, looking back, I had no clue. I am sure I will say the same thing looking back a year from now. :) All that matters in the end is whether or not you're having fun.

Your videos are great. I've watched the Hideout one and am going to watch Smerch Hunt next.

I agree tutorials showing context are great.

Pilots, thank you all!

Your posts are very helpful to me!

Bunyap is already subscribed and the next thing I am going to deal with Sabre's qualification campaign.

But the first task I have already done is that I flown around for two hours, without weapons or anything. And I must say, the A10C flies very comfortable, which is very motivating :)

And I printed Checklists and Surveys for a folder (good old paper is still the best)

Learning can begin

I just did basically the same thing tonight. It's a very good idea to go up for a while and experiment with the systems for a while.

Two hour start-up, one hour flight and half hour shut-down. If you start in the evening like in the Black Sea free flight mission it's really cosy once the sun starts going down and you have to turn on the cockpit lights.

Another thing that helped me was to watch the youtube tutorials from other players. If you have a laptop or second source of internet access you can sometimes fly along with them in missions pausing where needed to you fully understand what they are talking about. DCS has an active pause so that you can do things while everything else is frozen which help beginners a lot.

Having a smartphone, pad or laptop by your side with your Dropbox synced to it with the manual/s inside and YouTube open really helps.

Read the manual but don't print it out. It would just scare you to see how big it is...

An important part of learning the A-10 is gear. A good HOTAS cuts down the learning time immensely. So does a TrackIR because you don't have to deal with view commands. With both of those your task is only as difficult as a real pilots is but not more so.

I wouldn't print out the manual for the sheer cost of it... 300 pages printed two-sided.

I agree good gear is ideal but you don't really need it if you know your way around a keyboard.

Rhino -

I'm probably not too far ahead of you. I'm learning as best I can on a laptop while I build a new rig. I'm treating this as a "sim of a sim" so to speak. While I'm very experienced with advanced flight-sims (PMDG), I am starting DCS-A10C by learning navigation and flight management via the digital flight planner; including divert-to, and how to get back on precise flight paths between waypoints etc. It's a whole new level of challenge and detailed learning. After about the first week, I fired the GAU-8 for the first time after following the tutorial, and it felt like I genuinely earned the right to fire it! Each to their own, but I am treating A-10C as a study sim, taking my time, learning as much as I can, and loving every minute of it.

I wouldn't print out the manual for the sheer cost of it... 300 pages printed two-sided.

I agree good gear is ideal but you don't really need it if you know your way around a keyboard.

I agree, the manual is way too much, but I have printed a Checklist/SOP from Lobo: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/ and all airport charts and maps from here: http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Airport_Charts_(incl._Freqs,_TACAN,_ILS) Plus my own overviews for keyboard and joystick mapping and so on... it its a folder with around 70 pages :)

And I also agree about the gear! Sure, a TM Warthog is a nice piece of hardware :worthy: but at this time my moneybag will say nope. But I have no problems with my basic TM Hotas X, a simple Logitech Gamepad (more keys beside the Joystick), and my keyboard.

Rhino -

I'm probably not too far ahead of you. I'm learning as best I can on a laptop while I build a new rig. I'm treating this as a "sim of a sim" so to speak. While I'm very experienced with advanced flight-sims (PMDG), I am starting DCS-A10C by learning navigation and flight management via the digital flight planner; including divert-to, and how to get back on precise flight paths between waypoints etc. It's a whole new level of challenge and detailed learning. After about the first week, I fired the GAU-8 for the first time after following the tutorial, and it felt like I genuinely earned the right to fire it! Each to their own, but I am treating A-10C as a study sim, taking my time, learning as much as I can, and loving every minute of it.

And this is the sense of the thing, having fun :pilotfly:

I started about two days ago with seriously flying the Hog, without any weapon nor a targetingpod or something. But just learning the basics is so much fun! Looking forward to my first flight with Gun/Pack armed!

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Not hijacking thread; I have read this one and more about learning this sim but I do have a question for an experienced veteran before I jump into DCS A-10c.

Since I'm reading that the TM Warthog HOTAS is mapped to this by default, would there be any reason to select another brand other than money?

Would pedals be required to really gain solid knowledge and experience?

All the suggestions here sound pretty damn good to me. Gotta learn how to really fly this before I splat on a mountain :)

Opinions appreciated

Not hijacking thread; I have read this one and more about learning this sim but I do have a question for an experienced veteran before I jump into DCS A-10c.

Since I'm reading that the TM Warthog HOTAS is mapped to this by default, would there be any reason to select another brand other than money?

Would pedals be required to really gain solid knowledge and experience?

All the suggestions here sound pretty damn good to me. Gotta learn how to really fly this before I splat on a mountain :)

Opinions appreciated

If money is not a concern then the TM Warthog is obviously a good choice for this sim and others. I've only heard good things about it. There are other HOTAS controllers that work well also. As for pedals. First they're fun and realistic. Second they can give you better control over fine movemts compared to a twisting stick. Pedals also give you the option of using the toe brakes, right and left or just mono axis. I have one of my toe axis assigned to the zoom view which is extremely useful.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hey!

Is there a A10C pilot that would give me a hint for how to bring some efficiency in my way of learning all the systems? The best thing that works for me at this time is basicly flying the plane. I have much knowledge from civil flight simulators.

At the moment I read and read and read, jumping from one system to another and at the end I realize that I have learned just a little :smartass: but it does not feel like progress.

What was your way thru learning the systems? How much hours do you train for 1 weaponsystem? How long takes your training time all in all to a point where you can say "i am able to fly a A10C"?

I appreciate every hint,

Thank you!

I tried a similar method of jumping around from different planes, weapons and types of attacks and found that I was only learning a little bit about each.

Then I decided that I would only fly one plane - the A10c, first I mastered the start up procedures and instruments. Then take offs, flying to various way points, and finally landing.

Then I created very simply missions like placing 5 tanks in a small area. Then I would practice using the controls; DMS, TMS, operating the CDU's, finding & marking targets with the targeting pod, creating SPI's, slewing sensors to SPI's & mark points, and finally locking onto target with the maverick missile head.

Then I learned how to use the maverick missiles, then CBU 97's, CCRP delivery etc, etc...

After I felt I mastered a specific weapon and or sensor, I would select another and I kept going on, and this is what I'm still doing.

I still have a long way to go, but I feel great after I become proficient in one area that I've selected, which builds my confidence to try something new!

I hope this helps, and maybe i'll see you in the air sometime!!

Berkut

Download My F15c Radar Cheat Sheet Here

http://imgur.com/a/sxGoA

i7 6700 @4.2 | 32gb DDR4 ram | asus hero VIII | strix 1080Ti

VMA-223 Bulldogs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|

+1 to everything

I printed the manual and read it in 2011, then downloaded it to my iphone and re-read it again in 2012. Being able to text search was essential. I would still recommend printing the 10-page HOTAS function chart though. Keep that handy at all times.

I found it helpful to read 5-10 pages of important stuff in the manual (e.g., everything except for the inner workings of the CDU) at a time, then boot up DCS and experience all of it first hand right away. Seeing it in action, clicking it, testing it, etc., immediately after reading about it was a huge benefit. It might not be as sexy as playing with the TGP and firing weapons nonstop, but the first time you intentionally create a mark point or edit a weapon profile is a real thrill.

Also, bite the bullet and buy the TM Warthog. I started with the Logitech G940; FF is nice but you will hate it (and other non-TM HOTAS sticks) by the time you want to use trim, DMS, and TMS all at once.

i5-2500K @4.2 GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX460s in SLI | 1TB HDD (internal) | 1TB HDD (external via eSATA) for FRAPS recording | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR5 | 50" LG monitor