F 15 refueling procedure

fighter1976

• 1 month later...

Aerial refueling.

When approaching and refueling aircraft is the F-15C stable in flight. When approaching a fuel pipe and přibližovacímu traffic light aircraft is still stable. When you open the lid of the tank to refuel the F-15C begins to change direction suddenly. It is not stable. Why? I understand aerial refueling with nightmare. But why the aircraft stable flight when suddenly starts behaving unnaturally.

Other craft FC3 do not. :book:

Constantly explosion at a slight deflection.

Edited by simapajik

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think ED has two options here.

1. Long term solution, FIX THE BOOM AI. If you get too close he says ah you'll get it next time and proceeds to do the only thing he knows to do: return the boom to the center. The center is currently inside your plane. The outcome is always the same, you explode. If you get too close he should immediately disconnect and get the boom as far away from your plane as possible . Not shove it into you.

2. Short term solution: make the boom non-collidable. The drogue isn't collidable, so why is the boom? It would prevent aforementioned homicidal acts from effecting you.

Edit: Yes, refueling is definitely possible currently. If I find I'm bored and low on fuel I always try to find the tanker and get some practice in. I typically try to stay a bit behind the infamous center position for the last 30 seconds or so to prevent the boom killing me on the way out. Either that or he says "transfer complete... disconne- *BOOM*

Recently I've just decided to avoid the risk entirely by flying away ~500 lb before I'm full.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I think ED has two options here.

1. Long term solution, FIX THE BOOM AI. If you get too close he says ah you'll get it next time and proceeds to do the only thing he knows to do: return the boom to the center. The center is currently inside your plane. The outcome is always the same, you explode. If you get too close he should immediately disconnect and get the boom as far away from your plane as possible . Not shove it into you.

2. Short term solution: make the boom non-collidable. The drogue isn't collidable, so why is the boom? It would prevent aforementioned homicidal acts from effecting you.

Edit: Yes, refueling is definitely possible currently. If I find I'm bored and low on fuel I always try to find the tanker and get some practice in. I typically try to stay a bit behind the infamous center position for the last 30 seconds or so to prevent the boom killing me on the way out. Either that or he says "transfer complete... disconne- *BOOM*

Recently I've just decided to avoid the risk entirely by flying away ~500 lb before I'm full.

Thanks

Stay back a bit. This problem should be addressed. :doh: :smilewink:

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still blows up way too easy, but refueling is not that hard if you learn what your position picture should look like.

For example when refueling from the KC-135 in the F-15, the correct position puts the engine nacelles of the 135 on the frame of your canopy, engines 1 and 4 just outside the frame, and 2 and 3 just inside it.

Do that and hold it there and you will get fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Coming from BMS, I find the kc-135 director lights in this sim is very very hard to see, especially the right ones.

Is this realistic?

Or is there something wrong with my setting?

Please advise.

I use 3440 x 1440 resolution with mostly high graphic setting.

that is not what I mean.

in bms you can see the lights very clearly, both left and right ones.

in dcs you can see the left lights barely, the right lights not at all.

I wonder which one is more realistic compared to the real kc-135.

I never looked at it, so i don't know, you should try it out on your own or search for pictures on the net and compare it with a screenshot of your version

If you do not look at it,

how do you maintain your position in refueling?

can you give me some hint?

1., I never really refueled in 1.2.16, so i don't know how they look in that version, and i don't have that version anymore, so i can't get back and i don't want to go back

2. In 1.5, i'm starting to refuel with the A-10C, i never managed it to do it with the eagle, so i gave up there, and i actally never had to refuel

With the Hog, i'm focusing on the lights, and on how much sideways i'm off or drifting

Hi a1adin,

Are you using the zoom view function at all? I have this mapped to a slider on my HOTAS but you can bind zoom in/zoom out to any key or joystick button.

Once I am roughly in position with the tanker, I tend to zoom the camera in so the HUD fulls the majority of the screen; this should make the lights clearly visible.

2. In 1.5, i'm starting to refuel with the A-10C, i never managed it to do it with the eagle, so i gave up there, and i actally never had to refuel

With the Hog, i'm focusing on the lights, and on how much sideways i'm off or drifting

so in 1.5 you can see both the left and right director lights clearly?

can you post a screenshot with the lights?

Hi a1adin,

Are you using the zoom view function at all? I have this mapped to a slider on my HOTAS but you can bind zoom in/zoom out to any key or joystick button.

Once I am roughly in position with the tanker, I tend to zoom the camera in so the HUD fulls the majority of the screen; this should make the lights clearly visible.

I have tried to zoom in the view, but I find I have to zoom it very very very close.

However in doing so, I find harder to keep formation with the tanker.

can you post a screenshot how close you supposed to zoom?

The lights are pretty hard to see in DCS, irrelevant for the Hog but pretty important for the F-15. I zoom in a little bit and focus all of my energy on watching the lights and keeping in position. I don't play BMS that much but I tried refueling the Viper for the first time a couple weeks ago, getting in position is a bit more difficult with the jet wash but once on the boom, the lights were easy to see and I stayed on the boom the entire time until I was topped off.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer