Interview with Leatherneck Studios

Count Sessine

YES! Excellent choice Leatherneck. $$$

Please let it be B or D. :pilotfly:

If somebody can pull this off, it's the Leatherneck team, the first people to bring a DCS level fighter into this sim, an amazing one at that.

Agree with you that Leatherneck is the best for the job. Anything they or ED put out is a safe bet for top notch quality. If I was given a choice of who will develop the Tomcat, I'd pick LN without hesitation.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find. If they realy did the Tomcat, I would wet myselfe. But somehow I find it hard to belief.

Just for laughs, here are all the jets that have been flown by the squadron with this logo (VF-101Grim Reapers):

F2H Banshee

F4D Skyray

F3H Demon

F-4 Phantom

F-14 Tomcat

As far as I know, of these aircraft only the Demon and the Tomcat were not flown by the Marines :)

VF-101 was Re-established in FLA as VFA-101 as FRS for the F-35C

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DCS F-35C confirmed?

NO, I was just adding missing part of the "List"

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Creating the AI for the RIO will be a major challenge, as it has to be a lot more complex then a simple gunner. The AI RIO needs to be able to manipulate a DCS level cockpit, pressing all the right buttons and switches at the right time depending on the specific situation. Then there needs to be a complete new UI for fast and efficient player interaction with the AI*. The player needs a way to communicate his current intent to his RIO (what to do, where to search, what to engage, when to switch to visual search etc.). And lastly there needs to be a reporting system so that the RIO can talk to the player on its own. Optionally there could also be the option that the player is the RIO and the AI takes over the front seat, which would be yet another dimension.

I expect nothing less than fully authentic pilot-RIO/WSO interaction and teamwork from a DCS level module. To me this looks like more complex AI than anything that is in DCS yet. If LNS really is doing the F-14, I am sure that they have taken a very close look at what this takes, and I am confident that they can pull it off. But it will be a huge challenge.

Yes, but you're presuming that complete AI RIO is a must, while I had the way it was done in the F-14 Fleet Defender in mind. So, you'd switch to RIO position only to search and lock medium and long range targets (putting the plane on autopilot hold while doing that helps) and check the overall AWACS picture received via datalink. IIRC, the only AI RIO part in that old sim (but, still my favorite) was giving you cues on visible bogeys around you (something like 'Bandit 4 o'clock')..

Personally, I'd be more than OK with that, but can't speak for the rest and I'm not sure how much more can be done currently in DCS. Hopefully DCS will add MP multi-crew soon enough.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yes, but you're presuming that complete AI RIO is a must, while I had the way it was done in the F-14 Fleet Defender in mind. So, you'd switch to RIO position only to search and lock medium and long range targets (putting the plane on autopilot hold while doing that helps) and check the overall AWACS picture received via datalink. IIRC, the only AI RIO part in that old sim (but, still my favorite) was giving you cues on visible bogeys around you (something like 'Bandit 4 o'clock')..

Personally, I'd be more than OK with that, but can't speak for the rest and I'm not sure how much more can be done currently in DCS. Hopefully DCS will add MP multi-crew soon enough.

Personally, I don't think this is a viable solution in DCS anymore. Basically you would have to manage two complete DCS-level cockpits simultaneously. If it would be possible to operate the Tomcat efficiently with only one man, Grumman would have gladly cut the second seat to save wheight. There is a reason the F-14 has a crew of two, and if it is simulated realistically, it will require two operate it (either AI or human).

The missing digit could be a letter too

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

If it would be possible to operate the Tomcat efficiently with only one man, Grumman would have gladly cut the second seat to save weight. There is a reason the F-14 has a crew of two, and if it is simulated realistically, it will require two operate it (either AI or human).

Wow, thanks for enlightning me with the obvious. I thought we're discussing what's acceptable. Thus, a (still) strictly hypothetical question would be this - if you had to choose between a DCS: F-14 with no RIO AI and no DCS: F-14 what would be your choice?

Regarding the digit turning out to be a letter.. That would be a cheap blow, really :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The USMC flew both of those extensively, so no. They'd also be really out of place since they'd have absolutely nothing to fight. Nothing is even proposed for them to fight yet afaik.

Ive heard so many rumors that they are going to develop a WWII Naval fighter. Cant remember where I heard it though.

They'd also be really out of place since they'd have absolutely nothing to fight.

Well, this never stopped anyone before (P-51, F-86, etc.). AI opponents take less effort and can be further developed to player controllable ones later on.

Cheap blow? I'd rather have a F4 than a F14. :pilotfly: Yes, I said it. Sue me. :D

While I'd rather have an F-14, the F-4 is the more logical choice here admittedly (fits the MiG-21 more, much less complex systems to simulate, simpler FM, etc.). The problem is that all the Navy variants you'd expect to be flown by the Marines, too (like B, J, N, S) were actually used by them (unless I'm mistaken) so it doesn't seem to fit the clue from the interview.

Edited by Dudikoff

It looks like it will be F-14....

( http://il2forum.pl/index.php/topic,16618.msg314103.html#msg314103 ) .

But still it isnt official announcement :) and "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE" like in sinature of Cobra haha.

WiP:

b6b8d2d075f2ca94_zps9ad5d219.jpg~original

62ace7da1ec8d789.png

(pictures of incomning - this year - package of F-14 A and B Tomcat for FSX, Im associate and beta tester)

Just Im very interesing about the version... I personally would like D now.

1. Is the cobra person on the polish forum the same person as on the DCS forums? (Nicolas dackard?) And why is he typing in polish?

2. Is that wip stuff made by dackard and/or leatherneck for FSX?

Wow, thanks for enlightning me with the obvious. I thought we're discussing what's acceptable. Thus, a (still) strictly hypothetical question would be this - if you had to choose between a DCS: F-14 with no RIO AI and no DCS: F-14 what would be your choice?

Well, in my perception a F-14 on DCS level is simply not possible (means fully usable) without AI RIO. And LNS has said that they wont make any modules below the established DCS fidelity standart.

Would I like a FC3 level Tomcat with PFM? Yes, very much so. But as I understand it, this is simply out of question.

P.S. The same would apply for an F-4 as well of course.