Interview with Leatherneck Studios

Count Sessine

I'm sorry, did I really just read that??

Are you saying that the F-14 can't compete against the MiG-21, or that the MiG-21 would be totally outclassed??

(and while I do really want a DCS F-4 phantom, I am still very incredibly happy at the thought of a DCS F-14)

I guess my English is not clear enough...

Do you really think a MIG 21 can compete against 4 phoenix, 2 sparrow and 4 AIM-9 and maybe.. depending the model or the radar Slammers.

Not to mention the little AWACs capability of the f14...

track 26, attack 6 simultaneously at a distance of over 100 miles.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the F-14, please let it be the D. The A is very much inferior to the D in both it's avionics and engines.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Damn this thread has grown since I last posted. I got burned out on the guessing game at page 9 and the guessing is still going? Desperate puppets! :megalol: :pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I actually start to doubt that it is the Tomcat.

It is getting way to obvious to actually be an F-14.

While the name "Leatherneck" suggests the US Marines, are we actually sure that the Marines in focus are the US ones? Other countries have Marines too, though they mostly don't have their own aircraft.

Maybe it is all a swift plan to mislead us into thinking something while they bring us DCS Plot Twist? Half Life 3 confirmed!

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

While the name "Leatherneck" suggests the US Marines, are we actually sure that the Marines in focus are the US ones? Other countries have Marines too, though they mostly don't have their own aircraft.

That kind of misleading is bordering criminal negligence.

DCS: ###

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Maybe it is all a swift plan to mislead us into thinking something while they bring us DCS Plot Twist? Half Life 3 confirmed!

Would they really be cruel enough to bring us promises of the glorious F-14 before dropping an inferior aircraft on us just so they can hear our collective sighs of disappointment? I mean, if we get an F4F Wildcat or something, I'll willingly type positive things like "looks great" and "good luck" out of respect, but that won't tell anyone how I feel inside. :P

Hopefully it won't be the A version if we do get the Tomcat. Gotta have that delicious F110 power with A/G capability.

Edited by Zakatak
I meant F4F Wildcat, not F-4F Phantom II

If its just 3 characters then it's not the F14. At the very least it'd be 4 characters excluding the dash: role, design iteration number, and variant letter equals 4 characters.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I guess the harrier might be a pretty good guess, as we have seen the MiG-21 do vertical takeoffs in one of the WIP videos...

That would be so incredibly awesome... :thumbup:

And, of course, the fact that the MiG-23 is most probably going to be a future project :)

Also; I managed to bork the "marine" part of our next project, it was actually not flown by the USMC. It is an aircraft you'd expect to have been; but wasn't. wink.gif

It may or may not have two engines.

So let's think about it :D

The LNS site has some 3D model WIPs of a P-38 and a F6F in the background. The P-38 has been designed to meet an USAAF specificaton and at least I don't expect that one to be a plane for the USMC at all. The F6F is a plane I thought just flew in the USN, but well, that's AotP knowledge, I can read it also was in USMC service everywhere on the internet. Add to that the often cited words in this thead that you won't leave jets anytime soon. WWII is definately out then unless you'd do some fancy what if stuff which is good ;)

So what's left if it's not been flown by the USMC, but could have been? A British Marine Harrier variant? :D

Or an A-7 Crusader (short hop on wikipedia: "Despite this, the Marine Corps also rejected the Corsair, opting instead for the V/STOL vertical landing AV-8 Harrier as their light attack aircraft to replace their A-4F/M Skyhawks."). And that's one I'd have expected to be in USMC service while it wasn't...

Another great potential plane for the Marines would be a F-14A-D Tomcat (wiki hop: "The United States Marine Corps was initially interested in the F-14 as an F-4 Phantom II replacement; going so far as to send officers to Fighter Squadron One Twenty-Four (VF-124) to train as instructors. The marine corps pulled out of any procurement when development of the stores management system for ground attack munitions was not pursued. An air-to-ground capability was not developed until the 1990s.")... ED's going to implement real 2 seat action with the L-39 soon... and that Grim Reapers... plus that:

tZOS8.gif

Makes this:

479327_170x100.png?v=1404704767.14

:lol: :thumbup: :megalol:

The Corsair II could be possible, but now I really think the Tomcat is even more a safe bet. Did I mention that Persia got them before the Iranian Revolution, too? Strait of Hormuz anyone? So many possibilities to make use of that fancy figher.. a REAL fighter/interceptor. And like the MiG-23 it has variable sweep wings - would be it's perfect counterpart ;)

No FC level modules from LNS in the foreseeable future. wink.gif

carry on. popcorn.gif

Purrfect!

Read to page 10... I think there's enough evidence already, gotta get some popcorn now and carry on :book:

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Done reading the whole thing now... was fun :megalol:

Statements made just 6 months ago may not apply anymore. And/or were intended to clarify how difficult something can really be. :P

Just another coin thrown into the pot of the Tomcat. Two seaters are difficult, but not impossible as ED is going to get this running with their L-39 in December if all runs well.

And now this on page 14, coincidence? http://il2forum.pl/index.php/topic,16618.msg314103.html#msg314103

For anyone else whose polish language skills are as bad as mine ( nonexistent lol ) I ran that through Google translate. Well, that wasn´t that helpful, but here is what I found out for you guys to save time. But maybe YoYo can clear things up a bit wink.gif

Someone asked if the next would be an F-4, to which Cobra answered "You are missing a digit" (translated by Google from polish to german and then by me to english...)

Then it´s about some technical stuff and difficulties in doing the F-14, to which Cobra answered something like "We will care about those details".

Asked if this is an official confirmation of the Tomcat the Puppetmaster :lol: answered "Maybe"...

Good find :)

The Polish word "cyfra" means numerical digit wink.gif

I might add, that the German word "Ziffer" is extremely similar to that, so yes thumbup.gif

Cobra told me on another forum:

digits are usually numbers. (Don't listen to Rudel. I think.) I'm going to be really quiet now, until we announce :p

It's getting so obvious... :)

All those avatar pics Cobra is putting in... Grim Reapers, AN/AWG-9, now a Goose :D

Or maybe a Russian Marine Yak-38 V(S)TOL? :lol:

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

At least it has 3 gears and a tilt, some rivets, a few fasteners, and paint. There could be a button or two, but who needs those in 1918?

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD